This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Alternate Approach: Acoustics and Cooling Performance Management
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 03, 2018 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
Development of quick and efficient numerical tools is key to the design of industrial machines. While Computational Fluid Dynamics (CFD) techniques based on Navier Stokes (N-S) and Lattice Boltzman methods are becoming popular, predicting aeroacoustic behavior for complex geometries remains computationally intensive for design process and iteration. The goal of this paper is to evaluate application Navier-Stokes approach coupled with Ffowcs Williams and Hawkings (FW-H), and Broad-band Noise Model (BNS) to evaluate noise levels and predict design direction for industrial applications.
Steady-state RANS based approaches are used to evaluate under-hood cooling performance and fan power demand. At each design iteration, noise levels and strength of noise source are evaluated using Gutin’s and broad-band noise models, respectively along with cooling performance. Each design feature selected for the final design has lower fan power and noise level with improved cooling. Acoustics simulation was run on baseline and final (optimized) design using transient LES technique to validate predictions calculated using steady-state approaches. Both LES (transient) and Broad-band noise models (steady-state) predicted that the final design will be quieter than the baseline design. It can be concluded from the study that steady-state RANS based approaches can be employed to evaluate and optimize acoustic and under-hood cooling system performance simultaneously. Transient LES technique can be used to predict realistic magnitudes of the noise levels at the end of the design cycle. The final design recommended in this study has significantly lower fan power, improved cooling efficiency, and lower noise levels. There is good agreement between experimental and simulation results (from broad-band noise) on industrial excavator.
CitationSaha, R., Singh, J., Koutsavdis, E., and Ghazialam, H., "Alternate Approach: Acoustics and Cooling Performance Management," SAE Technical Paper 2018-01-0084, 2018, https://doi.org/10.4271/2018-01-0084.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|Unnamed Dataset 1|
|Unnamed Dataset 2|
|Unnamed Dataset 3|
|Unnamed Dataset 4|
- Udawant , K. , Tandon , V. , Raju , S. , Chugh , K. et al. Fan Noise Prediction using CFD and its Validation SAE Technical Paper 2007-26-051 2007 10.4271/2007-26-051
- De Gennaro , M. , Caridi , D. , and Pourkashanian , M. Ffowcs Williams and Hawkings Acoustic Analogy for Simulation of NASA SR2 Propeller Noise in Transonic Cruise Condition V European Conference on Computational Fluid Dynamics, ECCOMAS CFD 2010
- Gurav , R. , Udawant , K.D. , Rajamanickam , R. , Karanth , N.V. et al. Mechanical and Aerodynamic Noise Prediction for Electric Vehicle Traction Motor and Its Validation SAE Technical Paper 2017-26-0270 2017 10.4271/2017-26-0270
- Mohamud , O. and Johnson , P. Broadband Noise Source Models as Aeroacoustic Tools in Designing Low NVH HVAC Ducts SAE Technical Paper 2006-01-1192 2006 10.4271/2006-01-1192
- Patidar , A. Designing Automotive Rear Air Handling System for Low Flow Induced Noise using Broadband Noise Source and Ffowcs-Williams & Hawkings Models SAE Technical Paper 2009-01-0537 2009 10.4271/2009-01-0537
- Karim , A. , Mehravaran , M. , Lizotte , B. , Miazgowicz , K. et al. Computational Aero-Acoustics Simulation of Automotive Radiator Fan Noise SAE Int. J. Engines 8 4 1743 1749 2015 10.4271/2015-01-1657
- Tare , K. , Mukherjee , U. , and Vaidya , R. Design Optimization of Automotive Radiator Cooling Module Fan of Passenger Vehicle for Effective Noise Management Using CFD Technique SAE Technical Paper 2017-26-0183 2017 10.4271/2017-26-0183
- Perot , F. et al. Direct Aeroacoustics Predictions of a Low Speed Axial Fan 16th AIAA/CEAS Aeroacoustics Conference 2010
- Piellard , M. , Coutty , B.B. , Le Goff , V. , Vidal , V. et al. Direct Aeroacoustics Simulation of Automotive Engine Cooling Fan System: Effect of Upstream Geometry on Broadband Noise 20th AIAA/CEAS Aeroacoustics Conference 2014 2455
- Wu , J. , Powell , R. , Hermetet , A. , Shue , C. et al. Total Noise Analysis of a Directional Drill INTER-NOISE and NOISE-CON Congress and Conference Proceedings 252 2 220 227 2016
- Curle , N. The Influence of Solid Boundaries Upon Aerodynamic Sound Proceedings of the Royal Society of London A: Mathematical, Physical and Engineering Sciences 231 1187 505 514 1955
- Brentner , K.S. and Farassat , F. Analytical Comparison of the Acoustic Analogy and Kirchhoff Formulation for Moving Surfaces AIAA Journal 36 8 1379 1386 1998
- Lighthill , M.J. On Sound Generated Aerodynamically I: General Theory Proceedings of the Royal Society of London A: Mathematical, Physical and Engineering Sciences 211 1107 564 587 1952
- Luo , J.Y. , Issa , R.I. , and Gosman , A.D. Prediction of Impeller-Induced Flows in Mixing Vessels Using Multiple Frames of Reference I ChemE Symposium Series 1994 136 549 556