This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Steering Control Based on the Yaw Rate and Projected Steering Wheel Angle in Evasion Maneuvers
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 03, 2018 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
When automobiles are at the threat of collisions, steering usually needs shorter longitudinal distance than braking for collision avoidance, especially under the condition of high speed or low adhesion. Thus, more collision accidents can be avoided in the same situation. The steering assistance is in need since the operation is hard for drivers. And considering the dynamic characteristics of vehicles in those maneuvers, the real-time and the accuracy of the assisted algorithms is essential.
In view of the above problems, this paper first takes lateral acceleration of the vehicle as the constraint, aiming at the collision avoidance situation of the straight lane and the stable driving inside the curve, and trajectory of the collision avoidance is derived by a quintic polynomial. Based on the control of the steering wheel angle by the optimal preview control algorithm, the differential braking control is carried out by using the feedbacks of yaw rate and the projected steering wheel angle information to improve the accuracy of trajectory tracking and the stability of the ego vehicle in evasion maneuver.
Simulation analysis based on the vehicle dynamic software (ASM) is conducted in typical maneuvers. And the results show that the coordinated steering algorithm can further improve vehicle tracking accuracy and vehicles’ stability when using the same collision avoidance trajectory under the limit of designed lateral acceleration. It can partly decrease the influence of error of steering systems since the use of projected steering wheel angle and contribute to the convergence of lateral accelerations.
CitationYe, Y., Zhao, J., Wu, J., Zhu, B. et al., "Steering Control Based on the Yaw Rate and Projected Steering Wheel Angle in Evasion Maneuvers," SAE Technical Paper 2018-01-0030, 2018, https://doi.org/10.4271/2018-01-0030.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|Unnamed Dataset 1|
|Unnamed Dataset 2|
- Cicchino , J.B. Effectiveness of Forward Collision Warning and Autonomous Emergency Braking Systems in Reducing Front-to-Rear Crash Rates Accident Analysis and Prevention 99 142 152 2017
- Fildes , B. , Keall , M. , Bos , N. , Lie , A. et al. Effectiveness of Low Speed Autonomous Emergency Braking in Real-World Rear-End Crashes Accident Analysis and Prevention 81 24 29 2015
- Eckert , A. , Hartmann , B. , Sevenich , M. , and Rieth , P.E. Emergency Steer & Brake Assist: A Systematic Approach for System Integration of Two Complementary Driver Assistance Systems 22nd International Technical Conference on the Enhanced Safety of Vehicles Washington DC, USA 2011
- Robert Bosch GmbH Chassis systems control driver assistance systems - how much support do German drivers want? Heilbrom Robert Bosch GmbH 2012
- Fausten , M Accident Avoidance by Evasive Manoevres Proceedings of the 4th Tagung Sicherheit Durch Fahrerassistenz TVSD Munich Apr. 15-16, 2010
- Gurov , A. , Sengupta , A. , Jonasson , M. , and Drugge , L. Collision Avoidance Driver Assistance System Using Combined Active Braking and Steering AVEC’14, 12th symposium on Advanced Vehicle Control Sept 22-26 Tokyo, Japan 2014
- Xu , W. , Wei , J. , Dolan , J.M. , Zhao , H. et al A Real-Time Motion Planner with Trajectory Optimization for Autonomous Vehicles 2012
- González , D. , Pérez , J. , Lattarulo , R. , Milanés , V. et al Continuous Curvature Planning with Obstacle Avoidance Capabilities in Urban Scenarios Intelligent Transportation Systems (ITSC), 2014 IEEE 17th International Conference on, IEEE: 1430-1435 2014
- Noto , N. , Okuda , H. , Tazaki , Y. , and Suzuki , T Steering Assisting System for Obstacle Avoidance Based on Personalized Potential Field Intelligent Transportation Systems (ITSC), 2012 15th International IEEE Conference on, IEEE: 1702-1707 2012
- LaValle , S.M. and Kuffner , J.J. Jr. Randomized Kinodynamic Planning International Journal of Robotics Research 20 5 378 400 2001
- Urmson , C. , Ragusa , C. , Ray , D. , Anhalt , J. et al. A Robust Approach to High-Speed Navigation for Unrehearsed Desert Terrain Journal of Field Robotics 23 8 467 508 2006
- MacAdam , C.C. Application of an Optimal Preview Control for Simulation of Closed-Loop Automobile Driving IEEE Transactions on Systems, Man, and Cybernetics 11 6 393 399 1981
- Kapania , N.R. and Gerdes , J.C. Design of a Feedback-Feedforward Steering Controller for Accurate Path Tracking and Stability at the Limits of Handling Vehicle System Dynamics 53 12 1687 1704 2015
- Zhuo , G. , Wu , C. , and Zhang , F. Model Predictive Control for Feasible Region of Active Collision Avoidance SAE Technical Paper 2017-01-0045 2017 10.4271/2017-01-0045
- Nelson , W Continuous-Curvature Paths for Autonomous Vehicles Robotics and Automation, 1989. Proceedings, 1989 IEEE International Conference on, IEEE: 1260-1264 1989
- Guo , K. and Ding , H. Effect of Yaw Moment through Differential Braking under Tire Adhesion Limit Automotive Engineering 24 2 101 104 2002