This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Analysis of a Heat Exchanger for the Cooling Systems of a Vehicular Prototype
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published November 07, 2017 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
This work aims to study the selection of a heat exchanger available in the market with the objective of implementing it in a vehicle. The vehicle used for the tests was a prototype, developed by Formula UFMG team. It was made an experimental and a theoretical study in order to calculate the power of the CB600F engine to compare with the experimental study of heat dissipation of the selected heat exchanger. This comparison was made to check whether the heat exchanger reaches the vehicle’s requirements, and it has shown good convergence. The engine technical features were used in the theoretical studies, and thus the power was calculated. The experimental data were obtained by assembling the car in a roller dynamometer with the necessary instrumentation for these tests being performed. In these tests, the critical operation conditions of the vehicle were simulated, once the engine operates at a temperature of 95°C. For the experimental calculation of the dissipated heat by the radiator, experiments were carried out to obtain the water pump flow curve and the difference of the water inlet and outlet temperatures in the heat exchanger. It was concluded in the present work that this heat exchanger obtained satisfactory performance in the tests, proving that the radiator was correctly selected, since the vehicle was subjected to extreme conditions of use and did not overheat.
- Bruno Silva de Lima - Universidade Federal de Minas Gerais
- Rafael Megale de Oliveira - Universidade Federal de Minas Gerais
- Luiz Fernando de Oliveira Moraes - Universidade Federal de Minas Gerais
- Gustavo Abreu Araújo - Universidade Federal de Minas Gerais
- Gabriel Mendes de Almeida Carvalho - Universidade Federal de Minas Gerais
Citationde Lima, B., de Oliveira, R., de Oliveira Moraes, L., Araújo, G. et al., "Analysis of a Heat Exchanger for the Cooling Systems of a Vehicular Prototype," SAE Technical Paper 2017-36-0347, 2017, https://doi.org/10.4271/2017-36-0347.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|Unnamed Dataset 1|
|Unnamed Dataset 2|
- BARROS , J. E. M. Roteiro de aula prática - Lab. de Motores, Engenharia Mecânica UFMG, Belo Horizonte MG, Brasil
- BORSATTI , Eugênio José Estudos do Sistema duto-trocador de calor compacto para veículos de competição Dissertação à Escola Politécnica da Universidade de São Paulo 2010
- COSTA , PAULO G. A Bíbia do Carro 2001
- FRASS , Arthur P. Heat Exchangers Design John Wiley & Sons 1989
- GANESAN , V. Internal Combustion Engines 1 McGraw-Hill, Inc.
- GATTEI , L ; ROSSI , R. ; CARDILLE , E. A numerical simulation tool for automotive cooling system design SAE paper 2008-01-0398 Detroit Society of Automobile Engineers 2008
- HEYWOOD , JOHN B. Internal Combustion Engine Fundamentals McGraw-Hill, Inc. 1988
- HONDA Manual CB600F Hornet 2010
- INCROPERA , Frank P. Fundamentos de Transferência de Calor e Massa LTC 2008
- JILEAR , A. Cooling System Analysis University of New South Wales at the Australian Defence Force Academy 2008
- KAYS , W. M. e LONDON , A. L. Compact Heat Exchangers McGraw-Hill Book Company, Inc. 1958
- PENIDO FILHO , Paulo Os Motores de Combustão Interna Lemi 1983
- QUIM , Nelson Desenvolvimento de uma metodologia de simulação aplicada ao sistema de arrefecimento veicular Dissertação à Escola Politécnica da Universidade de São Paulo 2007