This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Experimental Evaluation of Rotational Inertia and Tire Rolling Resistance for a Twin Roller Chassis Dynamometer
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published November 07, 2017 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
Chassis dynamometers are important equipment to perform vehicular experiments in the automotive industry. Usually, these equipments are used according to standard procedures for emissions, fuel consumption, and performance analyses. In this paper, an alternative procedure was developed to experimentally determine the dynamometer inertia and losses related to bearings and transmission systems. Furthermore, a study on the tires rolling resistance, considering a double tire-roller contact, was carried out. The experiments were performed in a 4x2 chassis dynamometer with four rollers, equipped with an eddy current brake (coupled to a transmission reducer of 2.5 instrumented with a 3000 Nm torque flange) and with a 30 CV AC electric motor (coupled to a planetary transmission with reduction of 4.43 and instrumented with a 500 Nm torque flange). The dynamometer was also instrumented with an encoder system for speed measurement. All data were acquired by NI/LabVIEW™ software and post-processed in Matlab™ and Excel™ interfaces. The initial experiments resulted in the overall dynamometer bench inertia and equivalent inertias of the braking and electric motorization systems. The secondary experiments provided equations to determine the losses of the braking and electrical motorization systems, the overall bench losses and the vehicle/bench total rolling resistance according to the vehicle speed. Finally, a simplified coast-down experiment was performed on the dynamometer, and the results were compared to a Matlab/Simulink™ model of a hypothetical vehicle with similar mass.
- Jony Javorski Eckert - University of Campinas - UNICAMP
- Elvis Bertoti - University of Campinas - UNICAMP
- Eduardo dos Santos Costa - University of Campinas - UNICAMP
- Fabio Mazzariol Santiciolli - University of Campinas - UNICAMP
- Rodrigo Yassuda Yamashita - University of Campinas - UNICAMP
- Ludmila Corrêa de Alkmin e Silva - University of Campinas - UNICAMP
- Franco Giuseppe Dedini - University of Campinas - UNICAMP
CitationEckert, J., Bertoti, E., Costa, E., Santiciolli, F. et al., "Experimental Evaluation of Rotational Inertia and Tire Rolling Resistance for a Twin Roller Chassis Dynamometer," SAE Technical Paper 2017-36-0212, 2017, https://doi.org/10.4271/2017-36-0212.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|[Unnamed Dataset 1]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 2]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 3]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 4]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 5]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 6]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 7]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 8]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 9]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 10]|
- ABNT, NBR 6601. 2012. Light road motor vehicles -Determination of hydrocarbons, carbon monoxide, nitrogen oxides, carbon dioxides and particulate matter in the exhaust gas.
- ABNT, NBR 7024. 2010. Light road vehicles - Fuel consumption measurement - Test method.
- Wang, Rongrong, Yan Chen, Daiwei Feng, Xiaoyu Huang, and Junmin Wang. 2011. "Development and performance characterization of an electric ground vehicle with independently actuated in-wheel motors." Journal of Power Sources no. 196 (8):3962-3971.
- Subramanian, KA, Mathad Vinaya C, Vijay VK, and Subbarao PMV. 2013. "Comparative evaluation of emission and fuel economy of an automotive spark ignition vehicle fuelled with methane enriched biogas and CNG using chassis dynamometer." Applied Energy no. 105:17-29.
- Li, Tiezhu, Xudong Chen, and Zhenxing Yan. 2013. "Comparison of fine particles emissions of light-duty gasoline vehicles from chassis dynamometer tests and on-road measurements." Atmospheric Environment no. 68:82-91.
- Costa, Eduardo dos Santos, Santiciolli Fabio Mazzariol, Eckert Jony Javorski, Dionísio Heron José, Dedini Franco Giuseppe, and Corrêa Fernanda Cristina. 2014. Computational and experimental analysis of fuel consumption of a hybridized vehicle. SAE Technical Paper.
- Costa, Eduardo dos Santos, Eckert Jony Javorski, Santiciolli Fabio Mazzariol, de Alkmin e Silva Ludmila Corrêa, Corrêa Fernanda Cristina, and Dedini Franco Giuseppe. 2016. Economic and Energy Analysis of Hybridized Vehicle by Means of Experimental Mapping. SAE Technical Paper.
- WANG, Feng-bin, GUO Yong, Yi-long SUN, and LIU Chen. 2016. "Experimental Study on the Emission and Particle Number of a Heavy-duty Gasoline Vehicle by the Heavy-duty Chassis-Dynamometer." DEStech Transactions on Computer Science and Engineering (aita).
- Liu, Yuhan, Keding Lu, Yufang Ma, Xinping Yang, Wenbin Zhang, Yusheng Wu, Jianfei Peng, Shijin Shuai, Min Hu, and Yuanhang Zhang. 2017. "Direct emission of nitrous acid (HONO) from gasoline cars in China determined by vehicle chassis dynamometer experiments." Atmospheric Environment.
- Figliola, Richard S, and Donald Beasley. 2015. Theory and design for mechanical measurements: John Wiley & Sons.
- Giakoumis, Evangelos G. 2017. "Driving Cycles Test Procedure." In Driving and Engine Cycles, 315-345. Cham: Springer International Publishing.
- Eckert, Jony Javorski, Santiciolli Fabio Mazzariol, Elvis Bertoti, Costa Eduardo dos Santos, Corrêa Fernanda Cristina, de Alkmin e Silva Ludmila Corrêa, and Dedini Franco Giuseppe. 2017. "Gear shifting multi-objective optimization to improve vehicle performance, fuel consumption and engine emissions." Mechanics Based Design of Structures and Machines (just-accepted).
- Humphries, Kieran, and Alexei Morozov. 2016. A Comparison of Vehicle Simulation Software and Dynamometer Results for Battery Electric Vehicles. Paper read at CSME - Canadian Society for Mechanical Engineering International Congress, June 26-29, at Kelowna, Canada.
- Zhao, Shupeng, Miao Tian, Shifang Zhang, and Jiuxi Li. 2013. "Information Processing of Chassis Dynamometer based on Controller Area Network." JNW no. 8 (6):1343-1349.
- Nakajo, Tomoya, Kenji Tsuchiya, and Mitsuru Konno. 2011. "Comparison of fuel economy and exhaust emission tests of 4WD vehicles using single-axis chassis dynamometer and dual-axis chassis dynamometer." SAE International Journal of Fuels and Lubricants no. 5 (2011-01-2058):329-336.
- Belkin, AE, and Semenov VK. 2016. "Theoretical and experimental analysis of the contact between a solid-rubber tire and a chassis dynamometer." Mechanics of Solids no. 51 (3):298-307.
- ABNT, NBR 10312. 2014. Light duty road vehicles-Road load measurement and dynamometer simulation using coast down techniques.
- Eckert, Jony Javorski 2017. Desenvolvimento de bancada dinamométrica para validação da influência da estratégia de troca de marchas na dinâmica veicular longitudinal. Ph.D., Mechanical Engineering Department, University of Campinas - UNICAMP, Campinas São Paulo Brazil.
- HBM, Hottinger Baldwin Messtechnik GmbH. Mounting Structions. Torque Flange T40B 2016. Available from https://www.hbm.com/en/3004/t40b-torque-transducer-with-a-rotational-speedmeasuring-system/.
- AUTONICS, Sensors & Controllers. Power controllers 2016. Available from http://br.autonics.com/products/products_detail.php?catecode=02/10/01&db_uid=1057.
- NATIONAL INSTRUMENTS. NI9263 4-Channel Analog Output Module 2015. Available from http://www.ni.com/pdf/manuals/373781b_02.pdf.
- OMRON, Electronic Componets Web. Photomicrosensor (Transmissive) EE-SG3/EE-SG3-B. 2016. Available from https://www.omron.com/ecb/products/pdf/en-ee_sg3.pdf.
- NATIONAL INSTRUMENTS. NI9239 4-Channel Simultaneous Analog Input 2016. Available from http://www.ni.com/pdf/manuals/375939b_02.pdf.
- Nicolazzi, Lauro Cesar, da Rosa E, and Leal Longuinho da Costa Machado. 2001. "Uma Introdução à Modelagem Quase Estática de Veículos Automotores de Rodas‖." Brasil: Publicação interna do GRANTE-Depto de Engenharia Mecâncica da UFSC.
- Matthews, Christian. 2007. Identification and Robust Control of Automotive Dynamometers, University of Liverpool.
- FIAT, Automóveis S.A. Manual de uso e manutenção - Punto 2008. Available from http://www.fiat.com.br/content/dam/fiatbrasil/manuais-carros/punto/2008/Punto-2008.pdf.
- Gillespie, Thomas D. 1992. Fundamentals of Vehicle Dynamics. Edited by Society of Automotive Engineers. 1st ed. Warrendale, Pa., USA.
- Wong, Jo Yung. 2008. Theory of ground vehicles: John Wiley & Sons.
- Jazar, Reza N. 2008. "Vehicle Dynamics." Theory and Applications. Riverdale, NY: Springer Science+ Business Media.
- Preda, Ion, Dinu Covaciu, and Gheorghe Ciolan. 2010. "Coast Down Test-Theoretical and Experimental Approach."