This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Method for Preventing Contamination on Trucks Cabin Side Using CFD
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published November 07, 2017 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
Although ignored by most people not directly involved with highway and off-road commercial trucks operation the accumulation of dust and mud on cabin side can become a rather annoying issue. Besides adhering to the passengers clothes dirt contamination may also compromise driver visibility constituting a safety concern. For a truck manufacturer it can revert into quality complaints and negatively influence customers’ future buying decisions. In this context, fascia air deflectors are common devices used in truck industry to control the airflow over the cabin panels and ultimately prevent contamination deposition. This paper presents a methodology to avoid dust and mud accumulation on commercial trucks cabin doors based on the predicted airflow field by computational fluid dynamics (CFD) and a reference flow metric defined through a simple bench test. Comparing the results of the CFD analysis with an experimental study it is demonstrated that without resorting to costly wind tunnel tests or complex and computationally demanding Eulerian or Lagrangian multiphase simulations the proposed methodology ensures consistent results for tuning a deflector design to effectively prevent dirt accumulation. Soling simulations have also been performed as an add-on for further assessing the design directions provided by the method.
CitationCosta, E. and Nalin, R., "Method for Preventing Contamination on Trucks Cabin Side Using CFD," SAE Technical Paper 2017-36-0080, 2017, https://doi.org/10.4271/2017-36-0080.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|Unnamed Dataset 1|
- Puglisevich , L. S. , Gaylard , A. , Osborne , M. , Jilesen , J. et al. Application of CFD to Predict Brake Disc Contamination in Wet Conditions SAE Technical Paper 2016-01-1619 2016 10.4271/2016-01-1619
- Gaylard , A. P. , Pitman , J. , Jilesen , J. , Gagliardi , A. et al. Insights into Rear Surface Contamination Using Simulation of Road Spray and Aerodynamics SAE Technical Paper 2014-01-0610 2014 10.4271/2014-01-0610
- Huber , C. , Weigand , B. Modeling and Numerical Calculation of Snow Particles Entering the Air Intake of an Automobile SAE Technical Paper 2015-01-1342 2016 10.4271/2015-01-1342
- Buscariolo , F. F. , Volpe , L. J. , Alves , J. C. L. Mud Deposition Simulation at the CFRM of an Automobile Using CFD Simulation SAE Technical Paper 2014-36-0255 2014
- Zhang , Z. , Chen , Q. Prediction of Particle Deposition onto Indoor Surfaces by CFD with a Modified Lagrangian Method 2009 Atmospheric Environment 43 2 319 328
- Hagemeier , T. , Hartmann , M. , Thevenin , D. Practice of vehicle soiling investigations: A review International Journal of Multiphase Flow 37 8 860 875 2011 10.1016/j.ijmultiphaseflow.2011.05.002
- Yoshida , M. , Yamatani , A. , China , H. Prediction of dirt contamination on vehicle body surface JSAE Review 19 3 257 262 1998 10.1016/S0389-4304(98)00015-0
- Kim , M. H. Numerical Simulation on the Aerodynamic Characteristics around Corner Vane of a Heavy-Duty Truck SAE Technical Paper 2000-01-3499 2000
- Tang , K. , He , L. , Zhao , Y. , Friz , H. et al. The Aerodynamic Development of a New Dongfeng Heavy Truck SAE Technical Paper 2015-01-2886 2015 10.4271/2015-01-2886
- Jiang , M. , Wu , H. , Tang , K. , Kim , M. et al. Evaluation and Optimization of Aerodynamic and Aero-Acoustic Performance of a Heavy Truck using Digital Simulation SAE Int. J. Passeng. Cars - Mech. Syst. 4 1 143 155 2011 10.4271/2011-01-0162
- Kotapati , R. , Keating , A. , Kandasamy , S. , Duncan , B. et al. The Lattice-Boltzmann-VLES Method for Automotive Fluid Dynamics Simulation, a Review SAE Technical Paper 2009-26-0057 2009 10.4271/2009-26-0057
- PowerFLOW User’s Guide, Release 4.4, Rev. 2 Exa Corporation 2012
- Introduction to Lattice Boltzmann Method @ Nasa Glenn 2013 www.palabos.org 2012