This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Brake Moan Noise Study through Experimental and Operational Modal Analysis Techniques in a Passenger Car
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published May 24, 2017 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The vibroacoustic comfort sense inside vehicles is a topic of major concern in current automotive industry. Moreover, the increase in demand of users and the competition in the automotive sector lead automakers to invest in developing more comfortable vehicles. Thus, even noises in specific usage scenarios and short time is claimed. This paper raises the cause and proposes solutions to a noise from the brake system known as "Moan Noise". This noise happens under specific conditions of use, but is easily identified by the user. Moreover, it is a random phenomenon and difficult to characterize. Thus, this study shows a methodology to survey the phenomenon under study and validation of proposals for improvement through operational techniques and experimental modal analysis.
CitationKléperon, A., Abreu, R., Bitencourt, R., and Almeida, F., "Brake Moan Noise Study through Experimental and Operational Modal Analysis Techniques in a Passenger Car," SAE Technical Paper 2017-36-0015, 2017, https://doi.org/10.4271/2017-36-0015.
- Avitabile, P., “Experimental Modal Analysis, A Simple Non-Mathematical Presentation,” Sound and Vibration: 1-11, Jan. 2001.
- Kim, C., Lee, B., Lee, C., Jeong, H., “Analysis of the Induced Brake Moan Noise in the Coupled Torsional Beam Axle Suspension Module,” SAE Technical Paper 2005-01-3920, 2005.
- Peeters, B., Guillaume, P., Van der Auweraer, H., Cauberghe, B., Verboven, P., Leuridan, J., “Automotive and aerospace applications of the PolyMAX modal parameter estimation method,” presented at XXII IMAC CON 2004, USA, January 26-29, 2004.
- De Troyer, T., Guillaume, P., Peeters, B., “Polyreference Frequency-Domain Least-Squares Estimation with Confidence Intervals,” presented at XXVI IMAC CON 2008, USA, February 4-7, 2008
- Peeters, B., Lowet, G., Van der Auweraer, H., Leuridan, J., “A New Procedure for Modal Parameter Estimation,” Sound and Vibration: 24-28, Jan. 2004.
- Ewins, D.J., “Modal Testing: Theory, Practice ans Application,” Wiley, Hertfordshire, ISBN 978-0-86380-218-8, 2009.
- Rao, S. S., “Mechanical Vibrations,” Prentice-Hall, New Jersey, ISBN 978-0-13-21 2819-3, 2010.