This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Variation of Rotor Natural Frequencies Due to Manufacturing and Its Influence on Disc Brake Noise Generation
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published May 24, 2017 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
Brake noise causes discomfort to passengers and a perception of reduced vehicle quality. Other types of vehicle noises have been significantly reduced and consequently brake noise and vibration are becoming more perceivable by owners, leading to high warranty costs. It is known in the Brake Industry that the natural frequencies of brake rotors may have a significant participation in disc brake squeal generation, and, a robust process control of this characteristic in the manufacturing gives an important contribution to reduce brake noise. However, recent studies have demonstrated a significant variation of natural frequencies due to manufacturing and this is the outcome of carbon equivalent content in gray cast iron. This paper is concerned with the understanding of this phenomenon and its influence on disc brake noise generation. For this research, it was manufactured two batches of this rotor from two different grades of carbon equivalent. The influence of carbon equivalent on natural frequency variation is analyzed through an Experimental Modal Analysis (EMA), and, at the end, the brake noise generation is evaluated using a dynamometer test. The results show a different brake noise behavior between the two rotors’ batches and indicate that the natural frequency is significantly influenced by the content of carbon equivalent present in gray cast iron brake rotors.
CitationFerreto, C., Carvalho, A., Abreu, R., Marinho, P. et al., "Variation of Rotor Natural Frequencies Due to Manufacturing and Its Influence on Disc Brake Noise Generation," SAE Technical Paper 2017-36-0006, 2017, https://doi.org/10.4271/2017-36-0006.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|[Unnamed Dataset 1]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 2]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 3]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 4]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 5]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 6]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 7]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 8]|
- WICKERT, J. A.; Vibration of Disc Brake Rotors. Disc Brake Squeal. 2nd Edition. Warrendale-USA: SAE International, 2006.
- AVALLONE, E.A.; BAUMEISTER, T. III; SADEGH, A. M.; Standard Handbook for Mechanical Engineers. Eleventh Edition, McGraw-Hill, NY, 2007
- MALOSH, J. D., “Disc Brake Noise Reduction Trough Metallurgical Control of Rotor Resonances,” SAE Technical Paper 982236, 1998.
- QUAGLIA, R. L.; CHEN, F.; “Squeal Reduction and Prevention. Disc Brake Squeal,” 2nd Edition. Warrendale-USA: SAE International, 2006.
- SAE International Surface Vehicle Recommended Practice, “Disc and Drum Brake Dynamometer Squeal Noise Test Procedure,” SAE Standard J2521, Rev. Apr. 2013.
- FOX, M. A. O.; ADAMS, R. D.; “Correlation of the Damping Capacity of Cast Iron with its Mechanical Properties and Microstructure,” Journal of Mechanical Engineering Science. 15:81, 1973, doi: 10.1243/JMES_JOUR_1973_015_017_02
- GUESSER, W. L.; MARTINS L. P. R.; “Stiffness and Vibration Damping Capacity of High Strength Cast Irons,” SAE Technical Paper 2016-36-0126.
- Dados de Mercado FENABRAVE; “Resumo Mensal Dezembro de 2016,” www3.fenabrave.org.br.
- Papinniemi, A., Lai, J.C.S., Zhao, J., Loader, L., “Brake squeal: a literature review”, Elsevier. No. 63. (2002), p.391-400.
- BELHOCINE, A.; GHAZALY N. M.; “Effects of Material Properties on Generation of Brake Squeal Noise using Finite Element Mehot”, Latim American Journal of Solids and Structures. 1432, Doi:10.1590/1679-78251520
- LIN, S. C.; “Squeal Suppression Approaches of a Disc Brake Assembly”, Master’s Dissertation, University of Technology Malaysia, 2009.
- DUFFOUR, P., “Noise Generation in Vehicle Brakes”, Doctor Thesis, University of Cambridge, Cambridge, 2002.
- KUNG, S.; DUNLAP, K. B.; BALLINGER, R. S.; “Complex Eigenvalue Analysis for Reducing Low Frequency Brake Squeal,” SAE Technical Paper 2000-01-0444.
- TAN, C. A.; CHEN, F.; “Mechanisms and Causes of Disc Brake Squeal,” 2nd Ed. Warrendale-USA: SAE International, 2006.
- COLLINI, L.; NICOLETTO, G.; KONECNÁ, R.; “Microstructure and Mechanical Properties of Pearlitic Gray Cast Iron,” Material Science & Engineering Technical Paper A 488 (2008) 529-539.