This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Contact Pressure Distribution on Friction Interface for Flexible Drum Brake Systems
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published May 24, 2017 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
Analytical models used to design most of drum brake systems assume rigid body behavior of shoes and drum, resulting in sinusoidal pressure distribution in the friction interface. This approach leads to various limitations and sometimes incoherent results at typical applications since brake components are highly deformable and the contact pressure distribution plays an important role on the brake system efficiency. This study addresses a numerical analysis of drum brake pressure distribution, using Finite Element Method and considering shoes and drum as flexible bodies. The model validation from experimental procedure, where brake components were instrumented in an inertial dynamometer test. Once the pressure distribution can not be accurately measured, this research uses strain field measurements to calibrate the numerical model. This model is nonlinear, implying in convergence difficulties. However, the simulation technique presented here is a powerful tool to investigate the deformation of brake components and their influence in the friction forces and thus in brake system efficiency. The validation through strain field proved to be an interesting alternative to compare numerical models and experimental results.
CitationAntunes, D. and Masotti, D., "Contact Pressure Distribution on Friction Interface for Flexible Drum Brake Systems," SAE Technical Paper 2017-36-0005, 2017, https://doi.org/10.4271/2017-36-0005.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|Unnamed Dataset 1|
- Day , A. J. Drum Brake Interface Pressure Distributions IMechE 2005 1 127 136 1991
- Day , A. J. , Harding , P. R. J. and Newcomb , T. P. Combined Thermal and Mechanical Analysis of Drum Brakes IMechE 198D 15 287 294 1984
- Huang , Y. M. and Shyr , J. S. On Pressure Distributions of Drum Brakes Journal of Mechanical Design 124 1 115 2002
- Limpert , R. Brake Design and Safety SAE Warrendale, PA 2 nd 1999
- Magioni , L. , Casagrande , D. E. , Lusa , R. , Chiu , J. O. et al. Influence of Brake Drum Stiffness on the Functionality of Automatic Slack Adjuster SAE Brasil International Brake Colloquium 2015
- Millner , N. and Parsons , B. Effect of Contact geometry and Elastic Deformations on the Torque Characteristics of a Drum Brake Proc Instn Mech Engrs 187 26 317 331 1973
- Shigley , J. E. , Mischke , C. R. and Budynas , R. G. Projeto de Engenharia Mecânica Bookman Porto Alegre 7 th 2005
- Susin , V. A. , Mazzaferro , J. A. E. , Ferreira , N. F. and Perondi , E. A. Análise da Distribuição de Pressão de um Freio a Tambor com a Utilização do Método de Elementos Finitos SAE Brasil International Brake Colloquium Gramado 2007
- Yoshioka , O. , Ferreira , N. F. , Neis , P. D. and Mazzaferro , J. A. E. Análise dos Efeitos das Deformações Elásticas das Sapatas na Distribuição de Pressão de um Freio a Tambor ABCM Congresso Nacional de Engenharia Mecânica Salvador 2008