This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Methodology of Automatic Slack Brake Adjuster Definition Considering Foundation Brake System Characteristics
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published May 24, 2017 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
S-cam brakes concept are largely used by commercial vehicles around the world due to its low cost, easy maintenance and robustness. An important component of s-cam brakes is the slack adjuster, that is responsible for amplify brake chamber forces and assure correct lining and drum clearance. Therefore usually slack adjuster mechanism characteristics are defined only by empiric method considering trial and error tentative.
This paper aims to demonstrate a methodology created to develop new air s-cam brakes slack adjuster definition taken in consideration its interface with other brake components.
During this study was identified design specification for each component and its influence on adjustment process. It was verified the intrinsic characteristics of slack adjuster mechanism and developed a calculation tool to predict its actuation on the brake. The interface of slack adjuster with other foundation brake components and drum compliance were also studied. In order to validate the methodology some vehicle tests were performed and the results are described and analyzed.
CitationPrado, W., Iombriller, S., Chiu, J., and Roman, A., "Methodology of Automatic Slack Brake Adjuster Definition Considering Foundation Brake System Characteristics," SAE Technical Paper 2017-36-0004, 2017, https://doi.org/10.4271/2017-36-0004.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|Unnamed Dataset 1|
|Unnamed Dataset 2|
- FANCHER , P. , BAREKET , Z. , BLOWER , D. , MINK , C. and CAMPBELL , K Evaluation of Brake Adjustment Criteria for Heavy Trucks Federal Highway Administration - FHWA-MC-93-014 2013
- NATIONAL RESEARCH COUNCIL OF CANADA, CENTRE FOR SURFACE TRANSPORTATION TECHNOLOGY Assessment of the Effect of Automatic Slack Adjusters on Brake Adjustment TP 14214E 2002
- PRADEEP , C. Design of Automatic Slack Adjuster for Drum Brake in 150CC 4Stroke Bike on Indian Road SAE Technical Paper 2008-32-0033 2008 10.4271/2008-32-0033
- HEUSSER , R. Heavy Truck Deceleration Rates as a Function of Brake Adjustment SAE Technical Paper 910126 1991 10.4271/910126
- SAE J1462 - External Automatic Brake Adjuster Test Procedure - Truck and Bus SAE Oct 2011
- ISO 26865 Road vehicles -- Brake lining friction materials -- Standard performance test procedure for commercial vehicles with air brakes 2009