This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
A Study of Combustion in an HCCI Engine Using Non-Equilibrium Plasma Discharge Assist
Published November 05, 2017 by Society of Automotive Engineers of Japan in Japan
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
This study focused on a non-equilibrium plasma discharge as a means of assisting HCCI combustion.Experiments were conducted with a four-stroke single-cylinder engine fitted with a spark electrode in the top of the combustion chamber for continuously generating non-equilibrium plasma from the intake stroke to the exhaust stroke.
The results showed that applying non-equilibrium plasma to the HCCI test engine advanced the main combustion period that otherwise tended to be delayed as the engine speed was increased. In addition, it was found that the combined use of exhaust gas recirculation and non-equilibrium plasma prevented a transition to partial combustion while suppressing cylinder pressure oscillations at high loads.
- Hyota Hoshino - Nihon University Graduate School
- Tatsuya Sato - Nihon University Graduate School
- Shuntaro Takano - Nihon University Graduate School
- Yuya Motoki - Nihon University Graduate School
- Hiroto Tanaka - Nihon University Graduate School
- Yuya Higuchi - Nihon University Graduate School
- Akira Iijima - Nihon University
- Tomohiko Asai - Nihon University
- Mitsuaki Tanabe - Nihon University
- Yoshito Ashizawa - Nihon University
- Junichi Sekiguchi - Nihon University
- Hideo Shoji - Nihon University
CitationHoshino, H., Sato, T., Takano, S., Motoki, Y. et al., "A Study of Combustion in an HCCI Engine Using Non-Equilibrium Plasma Discharge Assist," SAE Technical Paper 2017-32-0084, 2017.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|Unnamed Dataset 1|
|Unnamed Dataset 2|
- Hiraya , K. et al. A Study on Gasoline Fueled Compression Ignition Engine ~ A Trial of Operation Region Expansion ~ SAE paper 2002-01-0416 2002
- Thring , R., H. Homogeneous - Charge Compression - Ignition (HCCI) Engines SAE paper 892068 1989
- Morikawa , K. et al. A Study on Homogeneous Charge Compression Ignition Gasoline Engines (First Report) - Investigation of Engine System and Realization of Compression Ignition - JSAE paper 20024178 2002
- Allen , W., G. Homogeneous Charge Compression Ignition (HCCI) of Diesel Fuel SAE paper 971676 1997
- Inoue , T. et al. Development of an Intake Inline Ozonizer and Application to HCCI Combustion Proceedings of the 26th Internal Combustion Engine Symposium, Lecture No. 19 2015
- Iijima , A. et al. A Study of a Gasoline HCCI Engine by using Supercharging and EGR (First Report) presented at the 2015 JSAE Annual Spring Congress
- Higuchi , Y. , Tanaka , H. , Hoshino , H. , Matsuishi , M. et al. Effect of Streamer Discharge Assist on Combustion in a Supercharged HCCI Engine SAE Int. J. Engines 9 4 2350 2355 2016 https://doi.org/10.4271/2016-32-0013
- Shiraishi , Y. et al. A Study of Autoignition Promotion for HCCI by Low Temperature Plasma Transactions of JSAE 42 6 2011 1361 1366
- Date , H. Basic Properties of Low Temperature Plasma Discharge Journal of Plasma and Fusion Research 80 2 2014 113 118
- Miyauchi , Y. et al. Influence of Non - Equilibrium Plasma Discharge on the Combustion Mode of HCCI Proceedings of the 27th Internal Combustion Engine Symposium, Lecture No. 84 2016
- Ito , N. et al. A Study of HCCI Combustion Assisted by a Streamer Discharge based on Visualization of the Entire Bore Area SAE paper 2014-32-0001 2014