This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Current Findings in Measurement Technology and Measurement Methodology for RDE and Fuel Consumption for Two-Wheeler-Applications
Published November 05, 2017 by Society of Automotive Engineers of Japan in Japan
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
Real world operating scenarios have a major influence on emissions and fuel consumption. To reduce climate-relevant and environmentally harmful gaseous emissions and the exploitation of fossil resources, deep understanding concerning the real drive behavior of mobile sources is needed because emissions and fuel consumption of e.g. passenger cars, operated in real world conditions, considerably differ from the officially published values which are valid for specific test cycles only .
Due to legislative regulations by the European Commission a methodology to measure real drive emissions RDE is well approved for heavy duty vehicles and automotive applications but may not be adapted similar to two-wheeler-applications. This is due to several issues when using the state of the art portable emission measurement system PEMS that will be discussed.
Hence, the aim of this paper is to present current experimental investigations in measurement technology and methodology for RDE and fuel consumption with measurement equipment that is used in automotive applications and was adapted for a motorcycle. Aside the installation and calibration, cross influences of these measurement instruments and side effects will be discussed. Furthermore, measurement results will be introduced as a base to subsequently evaluate real driving behavior of motorcycles and its RDE combined with fuel consumption. In this context, special measurement methods and their comparison are presented. This publication also entertains the idea of adapting the state of the art portable measurement equipment for motorcycles in terms of weight and packaging.
- Johannes Hiesmayr - Graz University of Technology
- Stephan Schmidt - Graz University of Technology
- Stefan Hausberger - Graz University of Technology
- Roland Kirchberger - Graz University of Technology
- Christian Zinner - Graz University of Technology
- Patrick Filips - Graz University of Technology
- Roland Wanker - AVL List GmbH
- Hubert Friedl - AVL List GmbH
CitationHiesmayr, J., Schmidt, S., Hausberger, S., Kirchberger, R. et al., "Current Findings in Measurement Technology and Measurement Methodology for RDE and Fuel Consumption for Two-Wheeler-Applications," SAE Technical Paper 2017-32-0041, 2017.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|Unnamed Dataset 1|
|Unnamed Dataset 2|
|Unnamed Dataset 3|
|Unnamed Dataset 4|
|Unnamed Dataset 5|
- Mock P. , German J. , Bandivadekar A. und Riemersma I. Discrepancies between type-approval and "real-world" fuel-consumption and CO2 values The International Council on Clean Transportation 2012
- Kousoulidou M. , Fontaras G. , Ntziachristos L. , Bonnel P. , Samaras Z. und Dilara P. Use of portable emission measurement system (PEMS) for the development and validation of passenger car emission factors Elsevier 2013
- Giechaskiel B. , Vlachos T. , Riccobono F. , Forni F. , Colombo R. , Montigny F. , Le-Lijour P. , Carriero M. , Bonnel P. und Weiss M. Implementation of Portable Emission Measurement Systems (PEMS) for the Real-driving Emissions (RDE) Regulation in Europe Journal of Visualized Experiments 2016
- Ntziachristos L. , Geivanidis S. , Samaras Z. e. Al. Study on possible new measures concerning motorcycle emissions Report for EC 2008
- Nguyen A. T. Asian Development Blog - Boosting fuel efficiency to cut motorcycle pollution in Viet Nam 3 October 2016 https://blogs.adb.org/blog/boosting-fuel-efficiency-cut-motorcycle-pollution-viet-nam 29 March 2017
- Tsai J.-H. , Chiang H.-L. , Hsu Q.-C. , Peng B.-J. und Hung R.-F. Development of a local real world driving cycle for motorcycles for emission factor measurements Elsevier 2005
- Kasih S. Asian Human Network Databank July 2011 29 March 2017
- Chen K. , Wang W. , Chen H. , Lin C. , Hsu H. , Kao J. und Hu M. Motorcycle emissions and fuel consumption in urban and rural driving conditions Elsevier 2003
- Saleh W. , Kumar R. , Kirby H. und Kumar P. Real world driving cycle for motorcycles in Edinburgh Elsevier 2009
- Schmidt H. und Badur J. From laboratory to road - Real Driving Emissions Springer Fachmedien Wiesbaden Stuttgart 2016
- Hiesmayr J. , Schmidt S. , Zinner C. und Hausberger S. Results, assessment and legislative relevance of RDE and fuel consumption measurements of two-wheller-applications SETC Graz 2017
- Motorrad B. BMW Motorrad Österreich 23 August 2016 http://www.bmw-motorrad.at/at/de/index.html?content=http://www.bmw-motorrad.at/at/de/bike/tour/2012/f800gt/f800gt_overview.html¬rack=1
- Zallinger M. S. Mikroskopische Simulation der Emissionen von Personenkraftfahrzeugen Graz 2012
- Gagandeep S. R. , Anil S. , Sasun C. und Rajasekaran T. Development of Real World Driving Cycle for Vehicle Durability Evaluation SAE International 2012
- Holmen B. A. und Niemeier D. A. Characterizing the effects of driver variablility on real-world vehicle emissions Elsevier 1997
- Geivanidis S. und Samaras Z. Development of a dynamic model for the reconstruction of tailpipe emissions from measurements on a constant volume sampling dilution system Measurement Science and Technology 2008
- Buchholz K. SAE International - New compact PEMS aims to plug the emission-compliance gap 25 November 2015 http://articles.sae.org/14429/ 11 April 2017
- Moos R. Recent Developments in Automotive Exhaust Gas Sensing AMA Converences 2009
- Ntziachristos L. , Mamakos A. , Samaras Z. , Xanthopoulos A. und Iakovou E. Emission control options for powered two wheelers in Europe Elsevier 2006