This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Correlating the Experiment and Fluid Structure Interaction Results of a Suction Valve Model from a Hermetic Reciprocating Compressor
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published July 10, 2017 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
Event: International Conference on Advances in Design, Materials, Manufacturing and Surface Engineering for Mobility
The present work is concentrated to study the effect of varying inlet pressures on the dynamics of the suction valve obtained from a hermetic reciprocating compressor. The effect of valve functioning on the efficiency of a compressor is highly acceptable. Rather than the delivery valve, the suction valve has a significant impact on the compressor efficiency. The reed valve in a hermetic compressor is a cantilever type arrangement. The valve operates due to the pressure difference between the suction muffler and the cylinder. The numerical analysis which includes Fluid-structure interaction is used in the present study. The flow and structural domain employed in the present study are modelled with Solidworks 15.0. The fluid structure interaction analysis is a combination of ANSYS Fluent and ANSYS structural. These two are coupled with a system coupling in ANSYS Workbench 16.0. The numerical results obtained from the simulation are validated with the experimental data. The setup consists of a stainless steel reed valve taken from a Samsung model compressor which is attached to a fixed base. Air is taken as working medium and supplied to the valve for measuring the valve lift. The valve lift is measured with a strain gauge fitted on the valve near the fixed end. The results from both the experimental and numerical method are compared to 0.5 bar, and the results are in good agreement. Various parameters like valve deflection, stress on the valve, velocity vectors and pressure contours are plotted. Further, the analysis is carried out for varying pressure from 0.5 bar to 2 bar. Also, the material of the reed valve is changed to Sandvik Hiflex steel which is known for its high fatigue strength and the corresponding results are plotted.
CitationKopppula, J., Rajagopal, T., and Gundabattini, E., "Correlating the Experiment and Fluid Structure Interaction Results of a Suction Valve Model from a Hermetic Reciprocating Compressor," SAE Technical Paper 2017-28-1948, 2017, https://doi.org/10.4271/2017-28-1948.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|[Unnamed Dataset 1]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 2]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 3]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 4]|
- Habing, R.A., and Peters, M.C., “An Experimental Method for Validating Compressor Valve Vibration Theory,” J. Fluid. Struct. 22(5):683-697, 2006.
- Belman-Flores, J.M., Ledesma, S., Barroso-Maldonado, J.M., and Navarro-Esbrí, J., “A Comparison Between the Modeling of a Reciprocating Compressor Using Artificial Neural Network and Physical Model,” Int. J. Refrig. 59:144-156, 2015.
- Ozsipahi, M., Cadirci, S., Gunes, H., Sarioglu, K., and Kerpicci, H., “A Numerical Study on the Lubrication System for a Hermetic Reciprocating Compressor Used in Household Refrigerators,” Int. J. Refrig. 31:48:210-220, 2014.
- Posch, Stefan., Hopfgartner, Johann., Heimel, Martin., Berger, Erwin., Almbauer, Raimund., and Schollauf, Peter., "A Numerical Investigation of the Oil Pump Suction Behaviour in a Hermetic Reciprocating Compressor," International Compressor Engineering Conference, Paper 2427, 2016.
- Navarro, E., Granryd, E., Urchueguia, J.F., and Corberan, J.M., “A Phenomenological Model for Analyzing Reciprocating Compressors,” Int. J. Refrig. 30(7):1254-1265, 2007.
- Rigola, J., Pérez-Segarra, C. D., Raush, G., Oliva, A.; Escriba, M.; Jover, J.; and Escanes, F., “Experimental Studies of Hermetic Reciprocating Compressors with Special Emphasis on pV Diagram," International Compressor Engineering Conference, Paper 1506, 2002.
- Morriesen, A., and Deschamps, C.J., “Experimental Investigation of Transient Fluid Flow and Superheating in the Suction Chamber of a Refrigeration Reciprocating Compressor,” Appl. Therm. Eng. 41:61-70, 2012.
- Pereira, Evandro L.L., and Deschamps, Cesar. J., "A Theoretical Account of the Piston Influence on Effective Flow and Force Areas of Reciprocating Compressor Valves," International Compressor Engineering Conference, Paper 2010, 2010.
- Rodrigues, Tadeu Tonheiro., "Turbulence Modelling Evaluation for Reciprocating Compressor Simulation," International Compressor Engineering Conference, Paper 2297, 2014.
- Nagata, Shuhei., Nozaki, Tsutomu., and Akizawa, Takehiro., "Analysis of Dynamic Behavior of Suction Valve Using Strain Gauge in Reciprocating Compressor," International Compressor Engineering Conference, Paper 1979, 2010.
- Burgstaller, Adolf., Nagy, Daniel., Almbauer, Raimund., and Lang, Wolfgang., "Influence of the Main Parameters of the Suction Valve on the Overall Performance of a Small Hermetic Reciprocating Compressor," International Compressor Engineering Conference, Paper 1934, 2008.
- Barbi, F., Gasche, J.L., da Silveira Neto, A., Martins Villar, M., Sene de Lima, R., “Numerical Simulation of the Flow Through a Compressor-Valve Model Using an Immersed-Boundary Method,” Engineering Applications of Computational Fluid Mechanics. 10(1):255-271, 2016.
- Sheu, H.C., and Hu, Y. Z. R., "Nonlinear Vibration Analysis of Reed Valves," International Compressor Engineering Conference, Paper 1419, 2000.
- Silva, Julio Cesar., and Arceno, Eduardo., "Correlation Between the Fluid Structure Interaction Method and Experimental Analysis of Bending Stress of a Variable Capacity Compressor Suction Valve," International Compressor Engineering Conference, Paper 2311, 2014.
- Wu, Weifeng., Jian, Zhifang., Song, Mingyi., and Zhang, Zhao., "Study of Valve Motion in Reciprocating Refrigerator Compressors based on the 3-D Fluid structure Interaction Model," International Compressor Engineering Conference, Paper 2499, 2016.
- Kim, Hyeongsik., Ahn, Jaewoo., and Kim, Donghyun., "Fluid Structure Interaction and Impact Analyses of Reciprocating Compressor Discharge Valve," International Compressor Engineering Conference, Paper 1936, 2008.
- Estruch, Olga., Lehmkuhl, Oriol., Rigola, Joaquim., and Pérez-Segarra., Carles, David., "Fluid-Structure Interaction of a Reed Type Valve Subjected to Piston Displacement," International Compressor Engineering Conference, Paper 2380, 2014.
- Tan, Qin., Liu, Zhan., Cheng, Junming., and Feng, Quanke., "Effective Flow and Force Areas of Discharge Valve In A Rotary Compressor," International Compressor Engineering Conference, Paper 2266, 2014.
- ANSYS system coupling guide, Release 15.0.
- Lof, Alexander., Millward, Chris., and Nawaz, Azhar., "Flap-X: Investigations of Residual Stresses and Tumbling," International Compressor Engineering Conference, Paper 2439, 2016.
- Lof, Alexander., Millward, Chris., and Nawaz, Azhar., "Flap-X: Development of a New Compressor Reed Material" (2016). International Compressor Engineering Conference, Paper 2440, 2016.