This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Construction of a Low Cost Cutting Tool Dynamometer and Static Calibration of Measuring Cutting Force in a CNC Milling Machine
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published July 10, 2017 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
Event: International Conference on Advances in Design, Materials, Manufacturing and Surface Engineering for Mobility
In this work an attempt is made to design and fabricate a low cost dynamometer for measuring cutting forces in three directions in a CNC vertical milling machine. The dynamometer is designed and fabricated to withstand load up to 5000 N along ‘X’, ‘Y’ and ‘Z’ axis. Milling dynamometer developed in this work, consists of four octagonal rings as an elastic member on which strain gauges are mounted for measuring the cutting forces. Suitable materials for the fixture and for the octagonal rings are chosen for constructing the dynamometer. Structural analysis has been carried out to check the safe design of the dynamometer assembly consisting of fixture and the octagonal rings for the maximum loading conditions. Static calibration of the dynamometer is carried out using slotted weight method by simulating the actual conditions. Calibration chart was prepared for three directions by relating load and corresponding strain. The proposed arrangement has been interfaced using NI data acquisition system for measuring the cutting forces. The dynamometer developed in this work is validated by conducting experimental trials. This low cost dynamometer is capable of measuring cutting forces in all three directions.
CitationSyed, S. and Rameshkumar, K., "Construction of a Low Cost Cutting Tool Dynamometer and Static Calibration of Measuring Cutting Force in a CNC Milling Machine," SAE Technical Paper 2017-28-1931, 2017, https://doi.org/10.4271/2017-28-1931.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|[Unnamed Dataset 1]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 2]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 3]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 4]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 5]|
- Ernst, U., and Merchant M. E.. "Chip formation, friction and high quality machined surface [Z]. Surface Treatment of Metal." American Soci-ety of Metal (1941).
- Liu, C. H., Lin C -J., Chen C -CA, and Lin C -Y.. "A three-component strain gage dynamometer for grinding and polishing force measurement." Journal of materials engineering and performance 14, no. 2 (2005): 173-178.
- Yaldız, Süleyman, and Ünsaçar Faruk. "Design, development and testing of a turning dynamometer for cutting force measurement." Materials & design 27, no. 10 (2006): 839-846
- Korkut, Ihsan. "A dynamometer design and its construction for milling operation." Materials & design 24, no. 8 (2003): 631-637.
- Karabay, Sedat. "Design criteria for electro-mechanical transducers and arrangement for measurement of strains due to metal cutting forces acting on dynamometers." Materials & design 28, no. 2 (2007): 496-506.
- Karabay, Sedat. "Performance testing of a constructed drilling dynamometer by deriving empirical equations for drill torque and thrust on SAE 1020 steel." Materials & design 28, no. 6 (2007): 1780-1793.
- Yaldiz, Suleyman, Unsacar Faruk, and Saglam Haci. "Comparison of experimental results obtained by designed dynamometer to fuzzy model for predicting cutting forces in turning." Materials & design 27, no. 10 (2006): 1139-1147.
- Chen, Y., McLaughlin N. B., and Tessier S.. "Double extended octagonal ring (DEOR) drawbar dynamometer." Soil and Tillage Research 93, no. 2 (2007): 462-471.
- Onwualu, A. P. "An Extended Octagonal Ring Dynamometer for Measurement of Forces on a Simple Tillage Tool." Nigerian Journal of Technology 21, no. 1 (2002): 46-59.
- Yaldız, Süleyman, Ünsaçar Faruk, Sağlam Hacı, and Işık Hakan. "Design, development and testing of a four-component milling dynamometer for the measurement of cutting force and torque." Mechanical Systems and Signal Processing 21, no. 3 (2007): 1499-1511.
- Soliman, Essam. "Performance analysis of octal rings as mechanical force transducers." Alexandria Engineering Journal 54, no. 2 (2015): 155-162. Budynas, Richard Gordon. Advanced strength and applied stress analysis. WCB/McGraw-Hill, 1999.
- Yaldız, Süleyman, and Ünsaçar Faruk. "A dynamometer design for measurement the cutting forces on turning." Measurement 39, no. 1 (2006): 80-89.
- Oraby, S. E., and Hayhurst D. R.. "High-capacity compact three-component cutting force dynamometer." International Journal of Machine Tools and Manufacture 30, no. 4 (1990): 549-559.
- Shaw, Milton Clayton. “Metal cutting principles”. Vol. 2. New York: Oxford university press, 2005.
- Markopoulos, Angelos P. "Cutting mechanics and analytical modeling." In Finite Element Method in Machining Processes, pp. 11-27. Springer London, 2013.