This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Development of Fuzzy Based Decision Structure for Automotive Airbag Control Unit
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published January 10, 2017 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
This study is an attempt to develop a decision support and control structure based on fuzzy logic for deployment of automotive airbags. Airbags, though an additional safety feature in vehicles, have proven to be fatal at various instances. Most of these casualties could have been avoided by using seat belts in the intended manner that is, as a primary restraint system. Fatalities can be prevented by induction of smart systems which can sense the presence and differentiate between passengers and conditions prevailing at a particular instant. Fuzzy based decision making has found widespread use due to its ability to accept non-binary or grey data and compute a reliable output. Smart airbags also allow the Airbag Control Unit to control inflation speed depending on instantaneous conditions. The objective of this study is to develop a decision system which could control a microcontroller using IF-THEN statements and thereby control and optimize airbag deployment speed depending on the accident circumstances. After an in-depth study of literature available on accidents and airbag deployment circumstances, rules for fuzzy decision structure have been drafted and rule surfaces computed. The study involved collection of ergonomic data of over 20 passenger car variants of some prominent automobile companies sold in the Indian market and then their careful analysis in conjunction with deceleration of vehicle, distance from airbag panel, velocity of vehicle, seat belt and weight of passenger. The input variables include the aforementioned factors and multilevel inflation speed is the output variable of the proposed decision structure.
CitationBatra, R., Nanda, S., Singhal, S., and Singari, R., "Development of Fuzzy Based Decision Structure for Automotive Airbag Control Unit," SAE Technical Paper 2017-26-0349, 2017, https://doi.org/10.4271/2017-26-0349.
- Hussain A. , Hannan M. A. , Mohamed A. , Sanusi H. , Ariffin A. K. Vehicle Crash Analysis For Airbag Deployment Decision International Journal Of Automotive Technology 7 2 179 185 2006
- Kendall J. and Solomon K. A. Air Bag Deployment Criteria The Forensic Examiner, Institute of Risk & Safety Analyses 2014 http://www.theforensicexaminer.com/2014/pdf/Air%20Bag%20Deployment.pdf Mar. 25
- Kamiji K. , Morita Y. , and Nagai M. Study Of Test Procedure To Evaluate Airbag Deployment Force Honda R&D Co., Ltd. JAPAN http://www-nrd.nhtsa.dot.gov/pdf/esv/esv16/98S5O12.PDF Mar. 25 2016
- Gstrein G. , Sinz W. , Eberle W. , Richert J. , and Bullinger W. Improvement Of Airbag Performance Through Pretriggering http://www-nrd.nhtsa.dot.gov/pdf/esv/esv21/09-0229.pdf Mar. 25 2016
- Kwanghyun Cho , Seibum. B. Choi , Sungdon Wee , Kyungjae Shin Design of an Airbag Deployment Algorithm Using a Radar Sensor IFAC Proceedings Volumes 43 7 July 2010 755 760 1474-6670 http://dx.doi.org/10.3182/20100712-3-DE-2013.00016
- Mian T. M. Fuzzy Logic Based Automotive Airbag Control System University of Windsor Windsor, Ontario, Canada 1999
- Yi-Jen Mon Airbag Controller designed by Adaptive Network-based Fuzzy Inference System (ANFIS) Fuzzy Sets and Systems 158 24 16 December 2007 2706 2714 0165-0114 http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.fss.2007.06.005
- National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) Guidelines Air Bags and On-Off Switches Air Bags and On-Off Switches
- Shelby , S. Delta-v as a measure of traffic conflict severity 3rd International Conference on Road Safety and Simulation September 2011
- Douglas Gabauer , Gabler Hampton C. Evaluation of the Acceleration Severity Index Threshold Values Utilizing Event Data Recorder Technology
- European Committee for Standardization (CEN) Road Restraint Systems - Part 2: Performance Classes, Impact Test Acceptance Criteria and Test Methods for Safety Barriers European Standard EN 1317-2 1998
- Weaver , G.D. and Marquis H.L. The Safety Aspects of Roadside Slope Combinations Conference Proceedings of the 53rd Annual Meeting of the Highway Research Board January 1974