This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Methodology for Prediction of Windscreen Wiping Area through Simulation
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published January 10, 2017 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Front windscreen wiping test is legal requirement for all motor vehicles as per standards like IS15802:2008 , IS15804:2008  in India. This test requires windscreen mock-up/actual vehicle to be tested along with all wiping mechanisms such that minimum percentage areas to be wiped should meet the requirements specified in the IS standard. From manufacturer’s perspective this involves investment of lot of time and cost to arrive at the final design solution in order to meet the wiping requirements. The work scope in this paper is limited to bus category of vehicles. The methodology presented in this paper would enable quick design solutions for bus body builders or manufacturers to meet the wiping requirements specified in IS standard. The methodology presented in this paper was developed to carry out windscreen wiping test through commercially available simulation software. This methodology was validated by correlating simulation results with the actual test results of widescreen wiping. Predicted results through simulation and experimentally measured values were found to be in close agreement. The complete methodology and the correlation results are presented in this paper. This methodology can be used in future for CAE based certification as an alternative for windscreen wiping area test.
CitationBhatkhande, M., Mahajan, R., and Joshi, A., "Methodology for Prediction of Windscreen Wiping Area through Simulation," SAE Technical Paper 2017-26-0257, 2017, https://doi.org/10.4271/2017-26-0257.
- Indian Standard IS 15802:2008 Automotive vehicles - windscreen wiping system for 4 wheelers other than M1 category of vehicles - requirements
- IS 15804:2008 Automotive Vehicles - Testing Procedure for Windscreen Wiping System for 4 wheelers other than M1 Category of Vehicles
- Automotive Industry Standard AIS-053 Automotive Vehicles-Types-Terminology
- AIS-052 (Rev 1):2008 Code of Practice for Bus Body Design and Approval
- SAE J941 Mar 2010 Motor vehicle driver’s eye locations
- International Standard ISO 6549:1999(E) Road vehicles - Procedure for H- and R-point determination