This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Effects of the Real Driving Conditions on the NOx Emission of a Medium Duty Diesel Commercial Vehicle
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published January 10, 2017 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
BS VI or Euro VI Norms mandates the RDE emission compliance for the diesel commercial vehicles. Development of the engine- after treatment system for meeting these requirements needs a greater insight into the emission behavior of the vehicle under current norms i.e. BS IV and Euro V. In other words, quantifying the on road emission of current vehicle will be helpful in developing engine/vehicle for RDE emission compliance. In the current study, the focus is on the assessment of real road NOx emission of a BS IV and Euro V complaint diesel commercial vehicle.
The real road emissions of vehicle have been quantified using the onboard NOx sensor mounted on the after treatment system outlet along with a validated exhaust gas model developed and parameterized in engine control unit. The real road NOx emissions were compared with the test bench emissions for various conditions. The NOx emission coefficient defined as the ratio of real road NOx emission to the test bench emission was used to assess the behavior of the given vehicle. Furthermore, the influences of the vehicle load, driving pattern and ambient conditions of pressure and temperature on NOx emission coefficients have been discussed.
CitationBetageri, V. and Mahesh, R., "Effects of the Real Driving Conditions on the NOx Emission of a Medium Duty Diesel Commercial Vehicle," SAE Technical Paper 2017-26-0124, 2017, https://doi.org/10.4271/2017-26-0124.
- Duarte , G.O. , Gonçalves , G.A. , Farias , T.L. Analysis of fuel consumption and pollutant emissions of regulated and alternative driving cycles based on real-world measurements Transportation Research Part D: Transport and Environment 44 43 54 2016 http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.trd.2016.02.009
- Steininger , N. Real Driving Emissions: legal implementation European Commission Letter ENTR.B.4./KS
- Merkisz , J. , Pielecha , J. , Radzimirski , S. New Trends in Emission Control in the European Union Springer International Publishing Switzerland 2014 10.1007/978-3-319-02705-0
- Vlachos , T. , Bonnel , P. , Perujo , A. , Weiss , M. et al. In-Use Emissions Testing with Portable Emissions Measurement Systems (PEMS) in the Current and Future European Vehicle Emissions Legislation: Overview, Underlying Principles and Expected Benefits SAE Int. J. Commer. Veh. 7 1 199 215 2014 10.4271/2014-01-1549
- Li , H. , Andrews , G. , Khan , A. , Savvidis , D. et al. Analysis of Driving Parameters and Emissions for Real World Urban Driving Cycles using an on-board Measurement Method for a EURO 2 SI car SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-2066 2007 10.4271/2007-01-2066
- Gao , Y. and Checkel , M. Emission Factors Analysis for Multiple Vehicles Using an On-Board, In-Use Emissions Measurement System SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-1327 2007 10.4271/2007-01-1327
- Rodríguez , R.A. , Virguez , E. A. , Rodríguez , P.A. , Behrentz , E. Influence of driving patterns on vehicle emissions: A case study for Latin American cities Transportation Research Part D: Transport and Environment 43 192 206 2016 http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.trd.2015.12.008
- ARAI TAP documents 4 https://www.araiindia.com/pdf/TAP_Document_Issue_4_Volume_I.pdf
- Nova , I. , Tronconi E. Urea-SCR Technology for DeNOx After Treatment of Diesel Exhausts Fundamental and Applied Catalysis Springer New York 2014 10.1007/978-1-4899-8071-7
- Betageri , V. , Rajagopalan , M. , Dhakshina Murthy , S. , and Thondavadi , A. Effects of Diesel Exhaust Fluid (DEF) Injection Configurations on Deposit Formation in the SCR System of a Diesel Engine SAE Technical Paper 2016-28-0109 2016 10.4271/2016-28-0109
- Heywood , J.B. Internal Engine Combustion Fundamentals McGraw-Hill New York 1988
- Wang , X. , Ge , Y. , and Yu , L. Combustion and Emission Characteristics of a Heavy-Duty Diesel Engine at Idle at Various Altitudes SAE Int. J. Engines 6 2 1145 1151 2013 10.4271/2013-01-1516
- Weiss , M. et al. A complementary emissions test for light-duty vehicles: assessing the technical feasibility of candidate procedures Joint Research Centre Report 2013
- Wang , X. , Yin , H. , Ge , Y. , Yu , L. et al. On-vehicle emission measurement of a light-duty diesel van at various speeds at high altitude Atmospheric Environment 81 263 269 2013 http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.atmosenv.2013.09.015