This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Emission Spectroscopy Study of the Microwave Discharge Igniter
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 04, 2017 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Requirements for reducing consumption of hydrocarbon fuels, as well as reducing emissions force the scientific community to develop new ignition systems. One of possible solutions is an extension of the lean ignition limit of stable combustion. With the decrease of the stoichiometry of combustible mixture the minimal size of the ignition kernel (necessary for development of combustion) increases. Therefore, it is necessary to use some special techniques to extend the ignition kernel region. Pulsed microwave discharge allows the formation of the ignition kernels of larger diameters. Although the microwave discharge igniter (MDI) was already tested for initiation of combustion and demonstrated quite promising results, the parameters of plasma was not yet studied before. Present work demonstrates the results of the dynamics of spatial structure of the MDI plasma with nanosecond time resolution. It was shown that the size of the plasma region increases from 2-4 to 10-15 mm3 during the discharge development. Gas temperature and vibrational temperature were measured with optical emission spectroscopy. The electric field in the discharge was measured from the analysis of emission intensities of the first negative (N+2(B2Σ+u) → N+2(X2Σ+u)) and the second positive (N2(C3Πu) → N2(B3Πg)) systems of molecular nitrogen. The electron density was estimated from the atomic line broadening.
CitationShcherbanev, S., De Martino, A., Khomenko, A., Starikovskaia, S. et al., "Emission Spectroscopy Study of the Microwave Discharge Igniter," SAE Technical Paper 2017-24-0153, 2017, https://doi.org/10.4271/2017-24-0153.
- Starikovskaia S M 2006 "Plasma assisted ignition and combustion" Journal of Physics D: Applied Physics 39 R265.
- Shiraishi, T., Urushihara, T., Gundersen, M. "A trial of ignition innovation of gasoline engine by nanosecond pulsed low temperature plasma ignition" J. Phys. D: Appl. Phys. 42, 135-208 (2009)
- Beduneau, J.L., Ikeda, Y. "Application of laser ignition on laminar flame front investigation" Exp. Fluids 36(1), 108-113 (2003)
- Shcherbanev, S.A., Popov, N.A., Starikovskaia, S.M., "Ignition of high pressure lean H2:air mixtures along the multiple channels of nanosecond surface discharge" Combustion and Flame 176 (2017) 272-284
- Ikeda Yuji, Nishiyama Atsushi, Kaneko Masashi "Microwave Enhanced Ignition Process for Fuel Mixture at Elevated Pressure of 1 MPa" AIAA 2009-223
- Popov, N.A., "Pulsed nanosecond discharge in air at high specific deposited energy: fast gas heating and active particle production" Plasma Sources Science and Technology, (2016) 25, 044003
- Wolk, B., DeFilippo, A., Chen, J.-Y., Dibble, R., Nishiyama, A. Ikeda Y. "Enhancement of flame development by microwave-assisted spark ignition in constant volume combustion chamber" Combustion and Flame 160 (2013) 1225-1234
- Ikeda, Y., Nishiyama, A., Wachi, Y., and Kaneko, M., "Research and Development of Microwave Plasma Combustion Engine (Part I: Concept of Plasma Combustion and Plasma Generation Technique)," SAE Technical Paper 2009-01-1050, 2009, doi:10.4271/2009-01-1050.
- Laux C.O., Spence T.G., Kruger C.H., Zare R.N., "Optical diagnostics of atmospheric pressure air plasmas" Plasma Sources Sci. Technol. 12 (2) (2003) 125
- Paris P, Aints M, Valk F, Plank T, Haljaste A, Kozlov K V and Wagner H-E 2005 "Intensity ratio of spectral bands of nitrogen as a measure of electric field strength in plasmas" J. Phys. D: Appl. Phys. 38 3894-9
- Paris P, Aints M, Laan M and Valk F 2004 "Measurement of intensity ratio of nitrogen bands as a function of field strength" J. Phys. D: Appl. Phys. 37 1179-84
- Naidis G V. 2007. Modelling of transient plasma discharges in atmospheric-pressure methane-air mixtures. J. Phys. D: Appl. Phys. 40 4525-4531.
- Pendleton SJ, Montello A, Carter C, Lempert W and Gundersen MA. 2012. Vibrational and rotational CARS measurements of nitrogen in afterglow of streamer discharge in atmospheric pressure fuel/air mixtures. J. Phys. D: Appl. Phys. 45 1-8.