This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Ignition of Propane-Air Mixtures by Miniaturized Resonating Microwave Flat-Panel Plasma Igniter
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 04, 2017 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
Recent trend in gasoline-powered automobiles focuses heavily on reducing the CO2 emissions and improving fuel efficiency. Part of the solutions involve changes in combustion chamber geometry to allow for higher turbulence, higher compression ratio which can greatly improve efficiencies. However, the changes are limited by the ignition-source and its location constraint, especially in the case of direct injection SI engines where mixture stratification is important. A new compact microwave plasma igniter based on the principle of microwave resonance was developed and tested for propane combustion inside a constant volume chamber. The igniter was constructed from a thin ceramic panel with metal inlay tuned to the corresponding resonance frequency. Microwaves generated by semiconductor based oscillator were utilized for initiation of discharge. The small and flat form factor of the flat panel igniter allows it to be installed at any locations on the surface of the combustion chamber. Furthermore, the plasma discharged can also be enhanced and sustained using the microwave from the same antenna, which is highly beneficial for combustion performance. High-speed, Schlieren imaging together with pressure measurement were obtained. Successful discharge, ignition and combustion were achieved for a range of equivalence ratios.
CitationPadala, S., Le, M., Nishiyama, A., and Ikeda, Y., "Ignition of Propane-Air Mixtures by Miniaturized Resonating Microwave Flat-Panel Plasma Igniter," SAE Technical Paper 2017-24-0150, 2017, https://doi.org/10.4271/2017-24-0150.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|[Unnamed Dataset 1]|
- Witze, P., "The Effect of Spark Location on Combustion in a Variable-Swirl Engine," SAE Technical Paper 820044, 1982, doi:10.4271/820044.
- Fraidl, G., Piock, W., and Wirth, M., "Gasoline Direct Injection: Actual Trends and Future Strategies for Injection and Combustion Systems," SAE Technical Paper 960465, 1996, doi:10.4271/960465.
- Rixecker, G. et al.: The H igh Frequency Ignition System EcoFlash. Proceedings of the 1st International Conference on Advanced Ignition Systems for Gasoline Engines, Berlin, 2012, 65-81
- Stevens, C. A., Pertl F. A., Hoke J. L., Schauer F. R., and Smith J. E.. "Comparative testing of a novel microwave ignition source, the quarter wave coaxial cavity igniter." Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, Part D: Journal of Automobile Engineering 225, no. 12 (2011): 1633-1640.
- Ikeda, Y., Padala, S., Makita, M., and Nishiyama, A., "Development of Innovative Microwave Plasma Ignition System with Compact Microwave Discharge Igniter," SAE Technical Paper 2015-24-2434, 2015, doi:10.4271/2015-24-2434.
- Cavina, N., Corti, E., Poggio, L., and Zecchetti, D., "Development of a Multi-Spark Ignition System for Reducing Fuel Consumption and Exhaust Emissions of a High Performance GDI Engine," SAE Technical Paper 2011-01-1419, 2011, doi:10.4271/2011-01-1419.
- Singleton, Daniel, Jason Sanders M., Thomas Mark A., Sjöberg Magnus, Sevik James, Pamminger Michael, and Wallner Thomas. "Demonstration of Improved Dilution Tolerance Using a Production-Intent Compact Nanosecond Pulse Ignition System." In Ignition Systems for Gasoline Engines: 3rd International Conference, November 3-4, 2016, Berlin, Germany 3, pp. 52-65. Springer International Publishing, 2017.
- Personal Communication with development team at Imagineering, 2017, March 17.
- Herweg, R. and Maly, R., "A Fundamental Model for Flame Kernel Formation in S. I. Engines," SAE Technical Paper 922243, 1992, doi:10.4271/922243.
- Kim, Hwan Ho, Won Sang Hee, Santner Jeffrey, Chen Zheng, and Ju Yiguang. "Measurements of the critical initiation radius and unsteady propagation of n-decane/air premixed flames." Proceedings of the Combustion Institute 34, no. 1 (2013): 929-936.
- Padala, S., Nishiyama, A., Ikeda, Y., "Flame size measurements of premixed propane-air mixtures ignited by microwave-enhanced plasma", Proceedings of the Combustion Institute, Volume 36, Issue 3, 2017, Pages 4113-4119
- Shiraishi, Taisuke, Takahashi Eiji, and Urushihara Tomonori. "Internal combustion engine electric discharge structure." U.S. Patent Application 12/269,948, filed November 13, 2008.
- Ju, Y., Wenting, S., "Plasma assisted combustion: Dynamics and chemistry", Progress in Energy and Combustion Science 48 (2015) 21-83