This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Statistical Determination of Local Driving Cycles Based on Experimental Campaign as WLTC Real Approach
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 04, 2017 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
In the context of a transport sustainability, some solutions could be proposed from the integration of many disciplines, architects, environmentalists, policy makers, and consequently it may be addressed with different approaches. These solutions would be applied at different geographical levels, i.e. national, regional or urban scale. Moreover, the assessment of cars emissions in real use plays a fundamental role for their reductions. This is also the direction of the new harmonized test procedures (WLTP). Furthermore, it is fundamental to keep in mind that the new WLTC cycle will reproduce a situation closer to the reality comparing to the EUDC/NEDC driving cycle. In this paper, we will be focused on vehicle kinematic evaluation aimed at valuation of traffic situation and emissions. For this purpose, driving data and emissions were acquired during an experimental campaign through six instrumented vehicles by PEMS for the simultaneous acquisition of emissions, kinematic variables and GPS localization data. Moreover, the analyzed vehicles have different type approval classes and different displacements. At this time, we present a different statistical approach to classify the pieces of speed parts in order to identify typical traffic situation and their emission evaluation. Finally, apply some statistical criteria, and going in the same direction of WLTC, a driving cycle composed by a succession of speed parts was built.
CitationMeccariello, G. and Della Ragione, L., "Statistical Determination of Local Driving Cycles Based on Experimental Campaign as WLTC Real Approach," SAE Technical Paper 2017-24-0138, 2017, https://doi.org/10.4271/2017-24-0138.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|[Unnamed Dataset 1]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 2]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 3]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 4]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 5]|
- André M., Joumard R., Vidon R., Tassel P., Perret P., “Real-world European driving cycles, for measuring pollutant emissions from high- and low-powered cars”, Atmospheric Environment 40(31): 5944-5953, 2006.
- Yang L., Franco V., Mock P., Kolke R. Zhang S., Wu Y., and German J., “Experimental Assessment of NOx Emissions from 73 Euro 6 Diesel Passenger Cars”, Environ. Sci. Technol., 2015, 49 (24), pp 14409-14415, DOI: 10.1021/acs.est.5b04242.
- Franco, V.; Posada, F.; German, J.; Mock, P. Real-World Exhaust Emissions from Modern Diesel Cars: A meta-analysis of PEMS emissions data from EU (EURO 6) and US (Tier 2 Bin 5/ULEV II) diesel passenger cars; White paper, part 1: Aggregated Results; International Council on Clean Transportation, Washington, DC, 2014; http://www.theicct.org/sites/default/files/publications/ICCT_PEMS-study_diesel-cars_20141013.pdf.
- Kadijk, G.; van Mensch, P.; Spreen, J. Detailed investigations and real-world emission performance of Euro 6 diesel passenger cars; TNO Report R10702; Netherlands Organization for Applied Scientific Research, Delft, The Netherlands, 2015; http://publications.tno.nl/publication/34616868/a1Ug1a/TNO-2015-R10702.pdf.
- Mock Peter, Kühlwein Jörg, Tietge Uwe, Franco Vicente, Bandivadekar Anup, German John “The WLTP: How a new test procedure for cars will affect fuel consumption values in the EU”, ICCT, October 2014.
- Andersson, J., May, J., Favre, C., Bosteels, D. et al., "On-Road and Chassis Dynamometer Evaluations of Emissions from Two Euro 6 Diesel Vehicles," SAE Int. J. Fuels Lubr. 7(3):919-934, 2014, doi:10.4271/2014-01-2826.
- May, J., Bosteels, D., and Favre, C., "An Assessment of Emissions from Light-Duty Vehicles using PEMS and Chassis Dynamometer Testing," SAE Int. J. Engines 7(3):1326-1335, 2014, doi:10.4271/2014-01-1581.
- May J., Favre C., Bosteels D., “Emissions from Euro 3 to Euro 6 light-duty vehicles equipped with a range of emissions control technologies”, Internal Combustion Engines: Performance, Fuel Economy and Emissions: IMechE, London, 2013.
- Weiss M., Bonnel P., Kühlwein J., Provenza A., Lambrecht U., Alessandrini S., Carriero M., Colombo R., Forni F., Lanappe G., Le Lijour, P., Manfredi U., Montigny F., Sculati M., “Will Euro 6 reduce the NOx emissions of new diesel cars? - Insights from on-road tests with Portable Emissions Measurement Systems (PEMS)”, Atmospheric Environment 62:657-665, 2012.
- Makarchuk D., Kreicbergs J, Grislis A., Gailis M., “Analysis of energies and speed profiles of driving cycles for fuel consumption measurements”, 14th International Scientific Conference Engineering for Rural Development, Latvia, 2015, ISSN 1691-5976.
- Tutuianu M., Marotta A., Steven H., Ericsson E., Haniu T., Ichikawa N., Ishii H., Development of a World-wide Worldwide harmonized Light duty driving Test Cycle (WLTC) (Technical Report). UN/ECE/GRPE/WLTP-IG DHC subgroup, December 2013.
- Marotta A., Pavlovic J., Ciuffo B., Serra S., Fontaras G., “Gaseous Emissions from Light-Duty Vehicles: Moving from NEDC to the New WLTP Test Procedure”, Environ. Sci. Technol. 2015, 49, 8315-8322, doi: 10.1021/acs.est.5b01364.
- Pavlovic J., Marotta A., B. “CO2 emissions and energy demands of vehicles tested under the NEDC and the new WLTP type approval test procedures”. Applied Energy, Volume 177, 1 September 2016, Pages 661-670, http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.apenergy.2016.05.110.
- Della Ragione, L., Meccariello, G., and Prati, M., "Statistical Investigation of In Use Emissions and Fuel Consumption Measured by PEM on Different Gasoline Cars," SAE Technical Paper 2013-01-1511, 2013, doi:10.4271/2013-01-1511.
- Meccariello, G., Della Ragione, L., Prati, M., Costagliola, M. et al., "Real Time Emissive Behaviour of a Bi-Fuel Euro 4 SI Car in Naples Urban Area," SAE Int. J. Fuels Lubr. 6(3):959-967, 2013, doi:10.4271/2013-24-0173.
- Joumard, R., Andre, J.M., Rapone M., et al., 2007. Emission factor modelling and database for light vehicles Artemis deliverable 3.
- Rapone M., Prati M.V., Costagliola M.A., Della Ragione L., Meccariello G., Emission Factors Determination of Euro III 1,200- to 1,400-cc Petrol Passenger Cars with a PLS.
- Rapone M., Della Ragione L., Meccariello G., An integrated knowledge base for modelling and predicting vehicle real-world emissions as a function of driving behaviour kinematics, 2008 December, CIT Journal of Computing and Information Technology 2008; 16(4): 279-286 Multivariate Regression Model, Environmental Modelling and Assessment, Springer Netherlands, 2008; 13:383-392
- Bouroche JM, Saporta G. (1983). L’Analisi dei Dati, CLU Napoli; 1983. ISBN-2-13-036505-1.
- Della Ragione L., Meccariello G, “The Influence of Road Gradient in an Integrated Approach of Real Driving Cycles and Emissions Factors Model”, Transportation Research Procedia Volume 14, 2016, Pages 3179-3188, Transport Research Arena TRA2016, http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.trpro.2016.05.258.