This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Experimental and Numerical Characterization of Diesel Injection in Single-Cylinder Research Engine with Rate Shaping Strategy
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 04, 2017 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
The management of multiple injections in compression ignition (CI) engines is one of the most common ways to increase engine performance by avoiding hardware modifications and after-treatment systems. Great attention is given to the profile of the injection rate since it controls the fuel delivery in the cylinder. The Injection Rate Shaping (IRS) is a technique that aims to manage the quantity of injected fuel during the injection process via a proper definition of the injection timing (injection duration and dwell time). In particular, it consists in closer and centered injection events and in a split main injection with a very small dwell time.
From the experimental point of view, the performance of an IRS strategy has been studied in an optical CI engine. In particular, liquid and vapor phases of the injected fuel have been acquired via visible and infrared imaging, respectively. Injection parameters, like penetration and cone angle have been determined and analyzed. The data have been collected by running an engine condition of the homologation cycle New European Driving Cycle (NEDC) with two values of the swirl ratio.
Computational activities, aiming at the simulation of the in-cylinder phenomena and specifically the injection process starting from experimental data, have been performed by adopting the 3D Ansys-Fluent solver.
In particular, the fluid-dynamic calculations performed in a 3D domain, allowed to describe the spray evolution in the combustion chamber and carrying out the spray characteristics such as tip penetrations, Sauter mean diameters and droplets distributions. Besides, the spatial vapor distributions allowed detecting the mixing rate and the regions where the first flame spots should appear. After a proper identification of the parameters of the atomization model by a comparison with the experimental results, the CFD model potentialities for the prediction of the main features of new injection strategies should be verified.
Such combined experimental and numerical activity would be able to point out the potential of IRS strategy with reduced nozzle diameter to improve the air/fuel mixing.
CitationMancaruso, E., Sequino, L., Vaglieco, B., and Cameretti, M., "Experimental and Numerical Characterization of Diesel Injection in Single-Cylinder Research Engine with Rate Shaping Strategy," SAE Technical Paper 2017-24-0113, 2017, https://doi.org/10.4271/2017-24-0113.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|Unnamed Dataset 1|
|Unnamed Dataset 2|
|Unnamed Dataset 3|
|Unnamed Dataset 4|
- Juneja , H. , Ra , Y. , and Reitz , R. Optimization of Injection Rate Shape Using Active Control of Fuel Injection SAE Technical Paper 2004-01-0530 2004 10.4271/2004-01-0530
- Grzeschik , P. , Laumen , H-J. , and Schlemmer-Kelling , U. FEV HiFORS injector with continuous rate shaping: Influence on mixture formation and combustion process Trasport Research Arena Paris 2014
- Benajes , J. , Molina , S. , De Rudder , K. , and Rente , T. Influence of Injection Rate Shaping on Combustion and Emissions for a Medium Duty Diesel Engine Journal of Mechanical Science and Technology (KSME Int. J.) 20 9 1436 1448
- IAV Automotive Engineering Diesel Injection Rate Shaping, Potential for EURO 6 Calibration Berlin
- Vivak , L. , and Peters , N. Modeling of injection-rate shaping in diesel engine combustion No. RWTH-CONV-124648 Lehrstuhl und InstitutfürTechnischeVerbrennung 2010
- Weigand , A. , Atzler , F. , Kastner , O. , Rotondi , R. et al. The effect of closely coupled pilot injections on Diesel engine emissions Continental Automotive GmbH Germany
- Aronsson , U. , Chartier , C. , Horn , U. , Andersson , Ö. et al. Heat Release Comparison Between Optical and All-Metal HSDI Diesel Engines SAE Technical Paper 2008-01-1062 2008 10.4271/2008-01-1062
- Pavia D. , Lampman , G. , and Kriz , G. , Vyvyan , J. Introduction to spectroscopy Cengage Learn 2008
- Mancaruso , E. , Sequino , L. , and Vaglieco , B.M. 2d infrared imaging at different wavelengths to characterize the air/fuel interactions in diesel engine 10th Pacific symposium on flow visualization and image processing Naples Italy 15-18 June; 2015
- Lide , D.R. Handbook of chemistry and physics CRC Press 2004
- Heywood , J.B. Internal combustion engine fundamentals New York McGraw-Hill 1988
- Mancaruso , E. , Marialto , R. , Sequino , L. , and Vaglieco , B. Comparison of Spray Characteristics Measured in an Optical Single Cylinder Diesel Engine with 1D Model SAE Technical Paper 2014-01-1424 2014 10.4271/2014-01-1424
- Tomita , E. , Kawahara , N. , Nishiyama , A. , and Shigenaga , M. In situ measurement of hydrocarbon fuel concentration near a spark plug in an engine cylinder using the 3.392 μm infrared laser absorption method: application to an actual engine Meas Sci Technol 14 8 1357 2003
- Klingbeil , A.E. , Jeffries , J.B. , and Hanson , R.K. Temperature-dependent mid-IR absorption spectra of gaseous hydrocarbons J Quant SpectroscRadiat Transfer 107 3 407 20 2007
- Eagle , W.E. , Malbec , L-M. , and Musculus , M.P. Comparing vapor penetration measurements from IR thermography of C-H stretch with Schlieren during fuel injection in a heavy-duty diesel engine 9th U.S. National Combustion Meeting Organized by the Central States Section of the Combustion Institute May 17-20, 2015 Cincinnati, Ohio 2015
- Jansons , M. , Lin , S. , and Rhee , K. Infrared spectral analysis of engine preflame emission Int J Engine Res 9 3 215 37 2008
- Mancaruso , E. , Sequino , L. , and Vaglieco , B. M. 2015 Analysis of spray injection in a light duty CR diesel engine supported by non-conventional measurements Fuel 158 512 522
- Kim , H.J. , Park , S.H. , Lee , C.S. A study on the macroscopic spray behavior and atomization characteristics of biodiesel and dimethyl ether sprays under increased ambient pressure Fuel Process Technologies 2010 91 3 354 63
- Bosch , W. The Fuel Rate Indicator: A New Measuring Instrument For Display of the Characteristics of Individual Injection SAE Technical Paper 660749 1966 10.4271/660749
- Sequino , L. An Innovative Optical Diagnostics for Injection Process in CI Engines - Visible/Infrared Imaging coupled to 1d Modeling LAP LAMBERT Academic Publishing 978-3-659-96276-9 2016
- Cameretti , M.C. , and Tuccillo R. Numerical Simulation of an EGR Operated C.R. Diesel Engine Proceedings of the ASME Internal Combustion Engine Division 2009 Fall Technical Conference ASME paper ICEF2009-14082 453 463 ASME 9780791843635 Lucerne, Switzerland Sept. 2009 10.1115/ICEF2009-14082
- Cameretti , M.C. , and Tuccillo R. Flow and Atomization Models for C.R. Diesel Engine CFD Simulation Proceedings of ASME/IEEE 2007 Joint Rail Conference and Internal Combustion Engine Division Spring Technical Conference ASME paper JRCICE2007-40068 451 461 0791837955 Pueblo, Colorado, USA Marzo 2007 10.1115/JRC/ICE2007-40068
- Belardini , P. , Bertoli , C. , and Cameretti , M.C. Numerical Analysis on the Influence of Jets Break-up Model Formulation on Diesel Engines Combustion Computations ATOMIZATION AND SPRAYS 8 123 154 1044-5110 10.1615/AtomizSpr.v8.i2.10
- O'Rourke , P. and Amsden , A. The Tab Method for Numerical Calculation of Spray Droplet Breakup SAE Technical Paper 872089 1987 10.4271/872089
- Reitz , R. and Diwakar , R. Structure of High-Pressure Fuel Sprays SAE Technical Paper 870598 1987 10.4271/870598