This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Effect of Injector Nozzle Hole Geometry on Particulate Emissions in a Downsized Direct Injection Gasoline Engine
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 04, 2017 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
In this study, the effect of the nozzle tip geometry on the nozzle tip wetting and particulate emissions was investigated. Various designs for the injector nozzle hole were newly developed for this study, focusing on the step hole geometry to reduce the nozzle tip wetting. The laser induced fluorescence technique was applied to evaluate the fuel wetting on the nozzle tip. A vehicle test and an emissions measurement in a Chassi-Dynamo were performed to investigate the particulate emission characteristics for injector nozzle designs. In addition, the in-cylinder combustion light signal measurement by the optical fiber sensor was conducted to observe diffusion combustion behavior during the vehicle test. Results showed that the step hole surface area is strongly related to nozzle tip wetting and particulate emissions characteristics. Injectors without the step hole and with a smaller step hole geometry showed significant reduction of nozzle tip wetting and number of particulate emissions.
- Heechang Oh - Hyundai Motor Company
- JuHun Lee - Hyundai Motor Company
- Seungkook Han - Hyundai Motor Company
- Chansoo Park - Korea Advanced Inst of Science & Tech
- Choongsik Bae - Korea Advanced Inst of Science & Tech
- Jungho Lee - Hyundai Kefico Corporation
- In Keun Seo - Hyundai Kefico Corporation
- Sung Jae Kim - Hyundai Kefico Corporation
CitationOh, H., Lee, J., Han, S., Park, C. et al., "Effect of Injector Nozzle Hole Geometry on Particulate Emissions in a Downsized Direct Injection Gasoline Engine," SAE Technical Paper 2017-24-0111, 2017, https://doi.org/10.4271/2017-24-0111.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|[Unnamed Dataset 1]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 2]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 3]|
- Zhao, F., Harrington, D., and Lai, M., “Automotive Gasoline Direct-Injection Engines,” (Warrendale, SAE International, 2002), ISBN 978-0-7680-0882-1.
- Han, D., Han, S., Han, B., and Kim, W., "Development of 2.0L Turbocharged DISI Engine for Downsizing Application," SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-0259, 2007, doi:10.4271/2007-01-0259.
- Yu, C., Park, K., Han, S., and Kim, W., "Development of Theta II 2.4L GDI Engine for High Power & Low Emission," SAE Technical Paper 2009-01-1486, 2009, doi:10.4271/2009-01-1486.
- Han, D., Im, H., Han, S. K., and Kim, H. J. “The turbocharged theta GDI engine of Hyundai”, MTZ worldwide, 72(10): 30-35, 2011
- Lee, H., Kim, J., Hwang, K., Kim, Y., Kim, W., Kim H., Hwang, I., Han, B., Shin, B., Winkler, M. and Min, B., "Hyundai-Kia's New 3-Cylinder 1.0L Turbo GDI Engine," Proceeding of 36th Internationales Wiener Motorensymposium, 2015
- Berndorfer, A., Breuer, S., Piock, W., and Von Bacho, P., "Diffusion Combustion Phenomena in GDi Engines caused by Injection Process," SAE Technical Paper 2013-01-0261, 2013, doi:10.4271/2013-01-0261.
- Tu, P., Xu, H., Srivastava, D., Dean, K. et al., "Numerical Investigation of GDI Injector Nozzle Geometry on Spray Characteristics," SAE Technical Paper 2015-01-1906, 2015, doi:10.4271/2015-01-1906.
- Befrui, B., Aye, A., Spiekermann, P., Varble, D. et al., "GDi Skew-Angled Nozzle Flow and Near-Field Spray Analysis using Optical and X-Ray Imaging and VOF-LES Computational Fluid Dynamics," SAE Technical Paper 2013-01-0255, 2013, doi:10.4271/2013-01-0255.
- Peterson, K. and Grover, R. “Application of optical diagnostics and simulation to fuel injector tip wetting and soot production”, Proceeding of the 11th International Symposium on Combustion Diagnostics, 78-85, 2014
- OudeNijeweme, D., Freeland, P., Behringer, M., and Aleiferis, P., "Developing Low Gasoline Particulate Emission Engines Through Improved Fuel Delivery," SAE Technical Paper 2014-01-2843, 2014, doi:10.4271/2014-01-2843.
- Xu, H., Wang, C., Ma, X., Sarangi, A. K., Weal, A., and Krueger-Venus, J., “Fuel injector deposits in direct-injection spark-ignition engines,” Progress in Energy and Combustion Science, 50: 63-80, 2015
- Moulai, M., Grover, R., Parrish, S., and Schmidt, D., "Internal and Near-Nozzle Flow in a Multi-Hole Gasoline Injector Under Flashing and Non-Flashing Conditions," SAE Technical Paper 2015-01-0944, 2015, doi:10.4271/2015-01-0944.
- Williams, I., Kaneta, H., Shibata, H. and Kato, N. “Development of a New Concept of Fuel Spray Formation for the Next Generation of Gasoline Direct-Injection Engines”, Proceeding of 25th Aachen Colloquium Automobile and Engine Technology, 421-436, 2016,
- Murase, E. and Shimizu, R., “Innovative Gasoline Combustion Concepts for Toyota New Global Architecture”, Proceeding of 25th Aachen Colloquium Automobile and Engine Technology, 1-24, 2016
- Bae, C., Yu, J., Kang, J., Kong, J. et al., "Effect of Nozzle Geometry on the Common-Rail Diesel Spray," SAE Technical Paper 2002-01-1625, 2002, doi:10.4271/2002-01-1625.
- Koegeler, H., Vidmar, K. and Winklhofer, E., “Flame Analysis Techniques for Particualte Emissions Development of GDI Engines,” MTZ worldwide, 75(5): 12-17, 2014
- Oh, H. and Bae, C., "Effects of the injection timing on spray and combustion characteristics in a spray-guided DISI engine under lean-stratified operation." Fuel, 107: 225-235, 2013
- Parrish S, "Spray G: GASOLINE DIRECT-INJECTION Introduction," Proceeding of Engine Combustion Network 3rd Workshop, https://ecn.sandia.gov/wp-content/uploads/2014/12/Spray-G-Introduction.ppt, 2014
- Rupp P, “Gasoline Powertrain Technologies to Achieve future CO2 and emission requirements”, Presentation at Hyundai Kia International Powertrain Conference, 2015
- Siebers, D., "Liquid-Phase Fuel Penetration in Diesel Sprays," SAE Technical Paper 980809, 1998, doi:10.4271/980809.
- Das, S., Chang, S., and Kirwan, J., "Spray Pattern Recognition for Multi-Hole Gasoline Direct Injectors Using CFD Modeling," SAE Technical Paper 2009-01-1488, 2009, doi:10.4271/2009-01-1488.