This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Estimating the CO2 Emissions Reduction Potential of Various Technologies in European Trucks Using VECTO Simulator
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 04, 2017 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
Heavy-duty vehicles (HDVs) account for some 5% of the EU’s total greenhouse gas emissions. They present a variety of possible configurations that are deployed depending on the intended use. This variety makes the quantification of their CO2 emissions and fuel consumption difficult. For this reason, the European Commission has adopted a simulation-based approach for the certification of CO2 emissions and fuel consumption of HDVs in Europe; the VECTO simulation software has been developed as the official tool for the purpose. The current study investigates the impact of various technologies on the CO2 emissions of European trucks through vehicle simulations performed in VECTO. The chosen vehicles represent average 2015 vehicles and comprised of two rigid trucks (Class 2 and 4) and a tractor-trailer (Class 5), which were simulated under their reference configurations and official driving cycles. The effects of aerodynamics, auxiliary systems, curb-weight, tyre rolling resistance, engine internal losses, and engine and gearbox efficiency were investigated. Factors exhibited a varying reduction potential that depended on the vehicle category and the driving cycle. Results indicate where focus should be given for improving the energy performance of trucks in view of the Commission’s future efforts to propose CO2 reduction targets for HDVs.
CitationZacharof, N., Fontaras, G., Grigoratos, T., Ciuffo, B. et al., "Estimating the CO2 Emissions Reduction Potential of Various Technologies in European Trucks Using VECTO Simulator," SAE Technical Paper 2017-24-0018, 2017, https://doi.org/10.4271/2017-24-0018.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|[Unnamed Dataset 1]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 2]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 3]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 4]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 5]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 6]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 7]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 8]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 9]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 10]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 11]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 12]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 13]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 14]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 15]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 16]|
- EEA, “Annual European Union greenhouse gas inventory 1990-2014 and inventory report 2016,” EEA Report No 15/2016, 2016.
- European Commission, “Reducing CO2 emissions from Heavy-Duty Vehicles,” http://ec.europa.eu/clima/policies/transport/vehicles/heavy/index_en.htm, 2016.
- European Commission, “Road transport: Reducing CO2 emissions from vehicles,” http://ec.europa.eu/clima/policies/transport/vehicles/index_en.htm, 2016.
- European Commission, “2050 low-carbon economy | Climate Action,” http://ec.europa.eu/clima/policies/strategies/2050_en, 2017.
- Zacharof, N. and Fontaras, G., “Report on VECTO Technology Simulation Capabilities and Future Outlook,” Scientific and Technical Research Reports EUR 28272 EN, Joint Research Centre, 2016.
- JRC and TUG, “VECTO user manual,” European Commission, 2016.
- Fontaras, G., Rexeis, M., Dilara, P., Hausberger, S. et al., "The Development of a Simulation Tool for Monitoring Heavy-Duty Vehicle CO2 Emissions and Fuel Consumption in Europe," SAE Technical Paper 2013-24-0150, 2013, doi:10.4271/2013-24-0150.
- Fontaras, G., Rexeis, M., Hausberger, S., Kies, A., Hammer, J., Schulte, L.-E., Anagnostopoulos, K., Manfredi, U., Carriero, M., Dilara, P., European Commission, Joint Research Centre, and Institute for Energy and Transport, “Development of a CO2 certification and monitoring methodology for heavy duty vehicles: proof of concept report.,” Publications Office, Luxembourg, ISBN 978-92-79-35146-4, 2014.
- European Commission, “CIRCABC - Communication and Information Resource Centre for Administrations, Businesses and Citizens,” https://circabc.europa.eu/faces/jsp/extension/wai/navigation/container.jsp, 2016.
- Savvidis, D., “Heavy Duty Vehicles’ CO2 legislation in Europe and VECTO simulation tool,” 2015.
- ACEA, Reducing CO2 Emissions from Heavy-Duty Vehicles. Empowering customers, strengthening market forces an working in an integrated approach, 2016.
- KBA, Test data shared by the German type approval testing authority. In-service conformity data gathered with portable emissions measurement systems (PEMS), 2015.
- Lastauto Omnibus, Fuel consumption data from LAO tests, 2016.
- Dünnebeil, F. and Keller, H., “Monitoring emission savings from low rolling resistance tire labelling and phase-out schemes. MRV Blueprint based on an example from the European Union,” ifeu - Institut für Energie- und Umweltforschung Heidelberg gGmbH, Heidelberg, 2015.
- Breemersch, T. and Akkermans, L., “GHG reduction measures for the Road Freight Transport sector up to 2020,” Technical report, Transport en Milieu Leuven, Leuven, 2015.
- Roche, M. and Mammetti, M., "Accurate Measurements in Proving Ground for Fuel Consumption Reduction Study in Heavy-Duty Vehicles," SAE Technical Paper 2015-26-0036, 2015, doi:10.4271/2015-26-0036.
- ACEA, White Book on CO2 declaration procedure HDV, 2016.
- IHS Automotive, Polk data analysis - EU28 - Includes content supplied by IHS Global SA, 2016.
- Clima DG, Working document for the methodology drafting for the CO2 monitoring of HD vehicles - Technical annex, 2014.
- JRC and TUG, “VECTO - Generic values,” 2016.
- Rodriguez, F., Muncrief, R.L., Delgado, O., and Baldino, C., Market Penetration of Fuel Efficiency Technologies for Heavy-Duty Vehicles in the EU, US and China, 2017.
- Wei, X., “Modeling And Control Of A Hybrid Electric Drivetrain For Optimum Fuel Economy, Performance And Driveability,” PhD Dissertation, The State Ohio University, 2004.
- Sorrentino, M., Mauramati, F., Arsie, I., Cricchio, A. et al., "Application of Willans Line Method for Internal Combustion Engines Scalability towards the Design and Optimization of Eco-Innovation Solutions," SAE Technical Paper 2015-24-2397, 2015, doi:10.4271/2015-24-2397.
- Michelin, “The Tyre. Rolling Resistance and Fuel Savings.,” 2013.
- Maagøe, V., “Review of the Tyre Labelling Regulation,” Report for DG Energy, Copenhagen, 2016.
- Regulation (EC) No 661/2009, Regulation (EC) No 661/2009 of the European Parliament and of the Council of 13 July 2009 concerning type-approval requirements for the general safety of motor vehicles, their trailers and systems, components and separate technical units intended, 2009.
- ERTRAC, Future Light and Heavy Duty ICE Powertrain Technologies, 2016.
- Nieman, A., The right solution for downspeed engines, 2014.
- Dünnebeil, F., Reinhard, Lambrecht, U., Kies, A., Hausberger, S., Rexeis, M., Jajcevic, D., and Lang, W., “Zukünftige Maßnahmen zur Kraftstoffeinsparung und Treibhausgasminderung bei schweren Nutz- fahrzeugen,” UBA-FB-002058, 2015.
- Guzzella, L. and Onder, C., “Introduction to Modeling and Control of Internal Combustion Engine Systems,” Springer Science & Business Media, ISBN 978-3-642-10775-7, 2009.
- Moore, W., Sutton, M., and Donnelly, K., "Development of Long Haul Heavy Duty Vehicle Real World Fuel Economy Measurement Technique," SAE Technical Paper 2013-01-0330, 2013, doi:10.4271/2013-01-0330.
- Reinhart, T., “Commercial Medium- and Heavy-Duty Truck Fuel Efficiency Technology Study - Report #1,” DOT HS 812 146, National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, 2015.
- Trucking Efficiency, “Trucking Efficiency Confidence Report: Downspeeding,” 2015.
- Burtt, D., "Fuel Economy Benefits of a High Torque Infinitely Variable Transmission for Commercial Vehicles," SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-4206, 2007, doi:10.4271/2007-01-4206.
- Devesa, A. and Indinger, T., "Fuel Consumption Reduction by Geometry Variations on a Generic Tractor-Trailer Configuration," SAE Int. J. Commer. Veh. 5(1):18-28, 2012, doi:10.4271/2012-01-0105.
- Buresti, G., Iungo, G.V., and Lombardi, G., “Methods for the drag reduction of bluff bodies and their application to heavy road-vehicles,” DDIA 2007-6, 2007.
- T&E, “The case for the exemption of aerodynamic devices in future type-approval legislation for heavy goods vehicles,” Transport & Environment, Brussels, 2010.
- Hausberger, S., Rexeis, M., Blassnegger, J., and Gerard, S., “Evaluation of fuel efficiency improvements in the Heavy-Duty Vehicle (HDV) sector from improved trailer and tire designs by application of a new test procedure,” I-24/2011 Hb-Em 18/11/679, TUG, 2011.
- Holmberg, K., Andersson, P., Nylund, N.-O., Mäkelä, K., and Erdemir, A., “Global energy consumption due to friction in trucks and buses,” Tribol. Int. 78:94-114, 2014, doi:10.1016/j.triboint.2014.05.004.
- Bridgestone Tires, “Ecopia - Our new generation of fuel efficient tyres,” http://www.bridgestone.co.uk/truck-and-bus/ecopia/, 2014.
- Trucking Efficiency, “Trucking Efficiency Confidence Report: Lightweighting Executive Summary,” 2015.
- Duleep, K.G., “Heavy Duty Truck Fuel Economy: Technology and Testing,” 2011.
- Schoettle, B., Sivak, M., and Fujiyama, Y., “LEDs and power consumption of exterior automotive lighting: implications for gasoline and electric vehicles,” University of Michigan, Transportation Research Institute, 2008.
- EPA and Department of Transport, “Proposed Rulemaking for Greenhouse Gas Emissions and Fuel Efficiency Standards for Medium- and Heavy-Duty Engines and Vehicles-Phase 2,” EPA-420-D-15-900, 2015.
- Macián, V., Serrano, J.R., Dolz, V., and Sánchez, J., “Methodology to design a bottoming Rankine cycle, as a waste energy recovering system in vehicles. Study in a HDD engine,” Appl. Energy 104:758-771, 2013, doi:10.1016/j.apenergy.2012.11.075.
- Carden, P., Pisani, C., Andersson, J., Field, I. et al., "The Effect of Low Viscosity Oil on the Wear, Friction and Fuel Consumption of a Heavy Duty Truck Engine," SAE Int. J. Fuels Lubr. 6(2):311-319, 2013, doi:10.4271/2013-01-0331.
- Fontaras, G., Dilara, P., Berner, M., Volkers, T. et al., "An Experimental Methodology for Measuring of Aerodynamic Resistances of Heavy Duty Vehicles in the Framework of European CO2 Emissions Monitoring Scheme," SAE Int. J. Commer. Veh. 7(1):102-110, 2014, doi:10.4271/2014-01-0595.
- Zhao, H., Burke, A., and Miller, M., “Analysis of Class 8 truck technologies for their fuel savings and economics,” Transp. Res. Part Transp. Environ. 23:55-63, 2013, doi:10.1016/j.trd.2013.04.004.
- Baker, R., Billings, R., Caliandro, B., Sabisch, M., Stanard, A., and Lindner, J., “Global Green Freight Action Plan - Technical Background Report,” ERG Project No.: 0303.02.012.002, Eastern Research Group, 2015.
- Daimler, “Predictive Powertrain Control - Clever cruise control helps save fuel,” http://media.daimler.com/marsMediaSite/en/instance/ko.xhtml?oid=9917205&ls=L3NlYXJjaHJlc3VsdC9zZWFyY2hyZXN1bHQueGh0bWw_c2VhcmNoU3RyaW5nPXByZWRpY3RpdmUrY3J1aXNlK2NvbnRyb2wmc2VhcmNoSWQ9MSZzZWFyY2hUeXBlPWRldGFpbGVkJmJvcmRlcnM9dHJ1ZSZyZXN1bHRJbmZvVHlwZUlkPTQwNjI2JnZpZXdUeXBlPWxpc3Qmc29ydERlZmluaXRpb249UFVCTElTSEVEX0FULTImdGh1bWJTY2FsZUluZGV4PTAmcm93Q291bnRzSW5kZXg9NQ!!&rs=4, 2012.
- Volvo, “I-See | Predictive Cruise Control,” http://www.volvotrucks.us/powertrain/i-shift-transmission/i-see/, 2016.
- DAF, “Driveline - PACCAR MX-5 engine specifications,” http://www.daf.co.uk/en-gb/trucks/daf-lf-euro-6/driveline#paccar_px-5_engine, 2016.
- DAF, “Driveline - PACCAR PX-7 engine specifications,” http://www.daf.co.uk/en-gb/trucks/daf-lf-euro-6/driveline#, 2016.
- Daimler, “Mercedes-Benz - Atego engine specifications,” http://www.mercedes-benz.co.uk/content/unitedkingdom/mpc/mpc_unitedkingdom_website/en/home_mpc/truck/home/new_trucks/model_range/the-atego/the-atego/facts/Driveline/engine.0005.html, 2016.
- Iveco, “New Eurocargo 2015 Brochure,” http://www.iveco.com/uk/products/pages/truck-efficiency-new-eurocargo-2015-iveco.aspx, 2015.
- MAN, “MAN TGM trucks in building site traffic - Technical data | MAN Truck Germany,” http://www.truck.man.eu/de/en/building-site-and-heavy-duty/tgm/technology/Technology.html, 2016.
- Volvo, Volvo FL-Specifications, 2016.
- DAF, “Driveline - PACCAR MX-13 engine specifications,” http://www.daf.co.uk/en-gb/trucks/daf-xf-euro-6/driveline, 2016.
- Daimler, “Mercedes-Benz Actros engine specifications,” http://www.mercedes-benz.co.uk/content/unitedkingdom/mpc/mpc_unitedkingdom_website/en/home_mpc/truck/home/new_trucks/model_range/new_actros/New_Actros/facts/Driveline/engine.0003.html, 2016.
- MAN, “MAN TGS trucks in long-haul transport - Technical data | MAN Truck Germany,” http://www.truck.man.eu/de/en/long-haul-transport/tgs/technology/Technology.html, 2016.
- Dünnebeil, F., Reinhard, C., Lambrecht, U., Kies, A., Hausberger, S., and Rexeis, M., “Future measures for fuel savings and GHG reduction of heavy-duty vehicles,” (UBA-FB) 002058, Umweltbundesamt, Dessau-Roßlau, 2015.
- Goodyear, “Factors affecting truck fuel economy,” 2012.
- EPA, Low-Viscosity Lubricants - A Glance at Clean Freight Strategies, 2015.