This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Research on Temperature Stability of an Independent Energy Supply Device with Organic Rankine Cycles Based on Hydraulic Retarder
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 22, 2017 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
Hydraulic retarder, as an auxiliary braking device, is widely used in commercial vehicles. Nowadays, the hydraulic retarder’s internal oil is mainly cooled by the coolant circuit directly. It not only aggravates the load of engine cooling system, but also makes the abundant heat energy not be recycled properly.
In this study, an independent energy supply device with organic Rankine cycles is applied to solve the problems above. In the structure of this energy supply device, the evaporator’s inlet and outlet is connected in parallel with the oil outlet and inlet of the retarder respectively. A part of oil enters the evaporator to transfer heat with the organic fluid, and the rest of oil enters the oil-water heat exchanger to be cooled by the coolant circuit. According to the different braking conditions of the retarder, the oil temperature in the inlet of the hydraulic retarder can be kept within the proper range through adjusting the oil flow rate into the evaporator properly.
Firstly, the temperature and flow characteristics of hydraulic retarder’s internal oil are studied. Secondly, the steady-state heat transfer model of the energy supply device is established, and the distribution principle of the oil flow rate between the evaporator and the oil-water heat exchanger is proposed in order to improve the temperature stability of the energy supply device and stabilize the oil temperature in the retarder’s inlet. At last, with the multiple comparisons with the conventional structure of hydraulic retarder, comprehensive analysis of the energy supply device’s effect mechanism on the working stability of the retarder is carried out.
Result shows that although this additional device increases the cost and the space requirement of the whole hydraulic retarder, it greatly improves the working stability of hydraulic retarder, and it also recovers the transmission oil’s waste-heat effectively, which reduces the energy consumption as well as the cooling load of engine cooling system.
CitationHan, M., Gao, X., Wang, T., and Zhang, Z., "Research on Temperature Stability of an Independent Energy Supply Device with Organic Rankine Cycles Based on Hydraulic Retarder," SAE Technical Paper 2017-01-7003, 2017, https://doi.org/10.4271/2017-01-7003.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|[Unnamed Dataset 1]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 2]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 3]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 4]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 5]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 6]|
- Tan Gang feng. The Thermal Research on Special Vehicle Driveline [D]. Wuhan University of Technology: 2011.
- Tan, G. and Guo, X., "The Modeling and Performance Analysis of the Retarder Thermal Management System," SAE Technical Paper 2012-01-1929, 2012, https://doi.org/10.4271/2012-01-1929.
- Jing Li. Structure Optimization and Experimental Investigation of the Organic Rankine Cycle for Solar Thermal Power Generation. Springer Theses. ISBN 978-3-662-45622-4,doi;10.1007/978-3-662-45623-1
- Wang Enhua. Performance Study of a Bottoming Organic Rankine Cycle for Waste Heat Recovery of Automotive Engine [D]. Beijing University of Technology: 2013.
- Gao Yun. The Simulation and Analysis of Hydraulic Retarder Braking Performance of Heavy Vehicles [D]. Wuhan University of Technology: 2013.
- Liu, W., Tan, G., Guo, X., Li, J. et al., "Boiling Coolant Vapor Fraction Analysis for Cooling the Hydraulic Retarder," SAE Int. J. Engines 8(4):1629-1637, 2015, https://doi.org/10.4271/2015-01-1611.
- Bond M. P. Plate heat exchangers for effective heat transfer[J]. The Chemical Engineer, 1981, 367(1981): 162-167.
- Jiangfeng Wang, Zhequan Yan, and Man Wang. Thermal dynamic analysis and optimization of an (organic Rankine cycle) ORC using low grade heat source. Energy 49 (2013) 356-365.
- Zhou, L., Tan, G., Guo, X., Chen, M. et al., "Study of Energy Recovery System Based on Organic Rankine Cycle for Hydraulic Retarder," SAE Technical Paper 2016-01-0239, 2016, https://doi.org/10.4271/2016-01-0239.
- Zhu Mingshan. Engineering Thermodynamics (Second Edition) [M]. Tsinghua University press: 1995.
- Sun J, Li WH. Operation optimization of an organic Rankine cycle (ORC) heat recovery power plant. Appl Therm Eng 2011;31(11e12):2032e41.
- Li J, Pei G, Ji J. Optimization of low temperature solar thermal electric generation with organic Rankine cycle in different areas. Appl Energ 2010;87(11):3355e65.
- REFPROP version 9.0, NIST standard reference database 23. The US Secretary of Commerce, America; 2007.