This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Study on the Springback Accuracy of Tailor-Welded Front Rail Inner Panel Based on Variable Blank Holder Force
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published August 25, 2017 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
Flanging U-shaped piece is the typical auto-body part, such as tailor-welded front rail inner panel, whereas, large springback amount is a critical challenge in sheet metal forming process, which size and shape accuracy affect the quality of the following assembly process. Firstly, a new form of variable blank holder force (BHF) was proposed in this paper, the springback problem was analyzed by numerical method based on the constant BHF of 90 t, and the contours of Von-Mises stress and springback amount were calculated by the dieless method. Secondly, variable BHF with changes in position and punch stroke was designed and used to control springback. Finally, orthogonal experimental and range analysis method were used to optimize the variable BHF parameters. In addition, the springback angles of sidewall and flange under 16 different combinations were calculated. The results show: 1) The thinner and weaker sheet near the weld-line position prone to fracture; 2) The maximum stress after springback decreases by 14.2%, therefore, the release of residual stress is a main reason for curl springback in the sidewall and flange; 3) The maximum springback amount of 2.68 mm is located at the opening zone of flange, where the sheet material is in the free state; 4) The maximum thinning rate under the variable BHF is less than that of the constant BHF, which indicates that the variable BHF control method improves the forming limit of sheet metal; 5) The maximum springback angle of sidewall and flange decreases by 33.05% and 48.64% respectively.
CitationWang, J. and Ma, Z., "Study on the Springback Accuracy of Tailor-Welded Front Rail Inner Panel Based on Variable Blank Holder Force," SAE Technical Paper 2017-01-5007, 2017, https://doi.org/10.4271/2017-01-5007.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|[Unnamed Dataset 1]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 2]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 3]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 4]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 5]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 6]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 7]|
- Sakuramoto, C., "Springback: How to Improve its Early Prediction Instead of Late Stamping Dies Rework," SAE Technical Paper 2012-36-0373, 2012, doi:10.4271/2012-36-0373.
- Shen, H., Li, S., Ni, X., and Chen, G., "A Modified Displacement Adjustment Method to Compensate for Surface Deflections in the Automobile Exterior Panels," J. Mater. Process. Technol. 213(11):1943-1953, 2013, doi:10.1016/j.jmatprotec.2013.05.009.
- Xu, S., Zhao, K., Lanker, T., Zhang, J. et al., "On Improving the Accuracy of Springback Prediction and Die Compensation," SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-1687, 2007, doi:10.4271/2007-01-1687.
- Geng, L., Oetjens, T., and Sa, C., "Springback Prediction with LS-DYNA and Die Face Compensation of Aluminum Hood Inner," SAE Technical Paper 2003-01-0571, 2003, doi:10.4271/2003-01-0571.
- Xue, X., Liao, J., Vincze, G., Pereira, A. et al., "Experimental Assessment of Nonlinear Elastic Behaviour of Dual-phase Steels and Application to Springback Prediction," Int. J. Mech. Sci. 117:1-15, 2016, doi:10.1016/j.ijmecsci.2016.08.003.
- Ali, M., Guines, D., Leotoing, L., and Ragneau, E., "Analytical and Numerical Analysis of a “Springback-forming” Process Dedicated to Stiffened Panels," Int. J. Mech. Sci. S 101-102:399-410, 2015, doi:10.1016/j.ijmecsci.2015.07.031.
- Lee, J., Barlat, F., and Lee, M., "Constitutive and Friction Modeling for Accurate Springback Analysis of Advanced High Strength Steel Sheets," Int. J. Plast. 71:113-135, 2015, doi:10.1016/j.ijplas.2015.04.005.
- Zhang, Z., Wu, J., Zhang, S., Wang, M. et al., "A New Iterative Method for Springback Control Based on Theory Analysis and Displacement Adjustment," Int. J. Mech. Sci. 105:330-339, 2016, doi:10.1016/j.ijmecsci.2015.11.005.
- Lam, A., Shi, Z., Lin, J., and Huang, X., "Influences of Residual Stresses and Initial Distortion on Springback Prediction of 7B04-T651 Aluminium Plates in Creep-age Forming," Int. J. Mech. Sci. 103:115-126, 2015, doi:10.1016/j.ijmecsci.2015.09.004.
- Chen, X., Shi, M., Zhu, X., Du, C. et al., "Springback Prediction Improvement Using New Simulation Technologies," SAE Technical Paper 2009-01-0981, 2009, doi:10.4271/2009-01-0981.
- Chalal, H., Racz, S., and Balan, T., "Springback of Thick Sheet AHSS Subject to Bending under Tension," Int. J. Mech. Sci. 59(1):104-114, 2012, doi:10.1016/j.ijmecsci.2012.03.011.
- Shih, H., "Advanced High Strength Steel Springback and Sidewall Curl Control Guideline," SAE Technical Paper 2005-01-0499, 2005, doi:10.4271/2005-01-0499.
- Yao, H., Liu, S., Du, C., and Hu, Y., "Techniques to Improve Springback Prediction Accuracy Using Dynamic Explicit FEA Codes," SAE Technical Paper 2002-01-0159, 2002, doi:10.4271/2002-01-0159.
- Wu, J., Zhou, D., Zhang, L., Zhou, Y. et al., "A Failure Criterion for Stretch Bendability of Advanced High Strength Steels," SAE Technical Paper 2006-01-0349, 2006, doi:10.4271/2006-01-0349.
- Wang, W., Chen, G., Lin, Z., and Li, S., "A New Strategy for the Optimization of Variable Blank Holder Force in Sheet Metal Forming," J. Plast. Eng. 14(1):102-108, 2007, doi: 10.3969/j.issn.1007-2012.2007.01.023.