This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
A Prediction Method of Fatigue Strength for Crankshaft Fillet Rolling Process
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 08, 2017 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
This work addresses the problem of fatigue strength prediction of crankshaft fillet rolling processes to improve its accuracy. It is empirical to usually consider the effect of fillet rolling process on crankshaft fatigue performance. The fatigue performance of rolling process is mainly determined by induced compressive residual stresses, increased hardness and reduced roughness. Because the first two factors are difficult to measure the arc surface of fillet rolled cranks, it is difficult to predict the enhanced rate of crankshaft rolled performance to baseline unrolled’s. In this work a prediction method of fatigue strength for ductile cast iron crankshafts rolling process is presented. This method indirectly predicts the effect of the increased hardness on fatigue performance by the resonant bending fatigue test and modelling of crankshaft fillet rolling dynamic for the induced compressive residual stress. The finite element (FE) model for the resonant bending fatigue test rig is validated by the dynamic stresses measured by the strain gauges. The dynamic model of rolling process is solved with an implicit finite element method (FEM) and validated by measurements of rolling displacements. Finally, this method is applied to a 1.5l I4 gasoline engine, in which crankshaft dynamic loads are calculated with Elastohydrodynamic (EHD) simulations.
- Wu Yang - Chongqing Changan Automobile Co., Ltd.
- Xiuting Yin - Chongqing Changan Automobile Co., Ltd.
- Zhang Song Zhan - Chongqing Changan Automobile Co., Ltd.
- Huixian Shen - Chongqing Changan Automobile Co., Ltd.
- Huibin Qing - Chongqing Changan Automobile Co., Ltd.
- Qingqiang Zeng - Chongqing Changan Automobile Co., Ltd.
- Liyun Kang - Chongqing Changan Automobile Co., Ltd.
CitationYang, W., Yin, X., Zhan, Z., Shen, H. et al., "A Prediction Method of Fatigue Strength for Crankshaft Fillet Rolling Process," SAE Technical Paper 2017-01-2406, 2017, https://doi.org/10.4271/2017-01-2406.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|[Unnamed Dataset 1]|
- Cevik, M., Hochbein, H., and Rebbert, M., "Potentials of Crankshaft Fillet Rolling Process," SAE Int. J. Engines 5(2):622-632, 2012, doi:10.4271/2012-01-0755.
- Ko, Y., Park, J., Bhan, H., Park, H. et al., "Fatigue Strength and Residual Stress Analysis of Deep Rolled Crankshafts," SAE Technical Paper 2005-01-0988, 2005, doi:10.4271/2005-01-0988.
- Çevik, G., Tuncali, Z., and Duran, E., "A Study on the Diesel Engine Crankshaft Fatigue Performance Optimization," SAE Technical Paper 2009-01-0261, 2009, doi:10.4271/2009-01-0261.
- Çevik, G., and Gürbüz, R., "Evaluation of Fatigue Performance of a Fillet Rolled Diesel Engine Crankshaft," Engineering Failure Analysis 27(1):250-261, 2013, doi: 10.1016/j.engfailanal.2012.07.026.
- Williams, J. and Fatemi, A., "Fatigue Performance of Forged Steel and Ductile Cast Iron Crankshafts," SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-1001, 2007, doi:10.4271/2007-01-1001.
- Chien, W. Y., Pan, J., Close, D., Ho, S., "Fatigue Analysis of Crankshaft Sections under Bending with Consideration of Residual Stresses," International Journal of Fatigue 27(1):1-19, 2005, doi: 10.1016/j.ijfatigue.2004.06.009.
- Choi, K., Pan, J., and Ho, S., "Effects of Roller Geometry on Contact Pressure and Residual Stress in Crankshaft Fillet Rolling," SAE Technical Paper 2005-01-1908, 2005, doi:10.4271/2005-01-1908.
- Choi, K. S., and Pan, J., "Effects of Pressure-sensitive Yielding on Stress Distributions in Crankshaft Sections under Fillet Rolling and Bending Fatigue Tests," International Journal of Fatigue 31(1):1588-1597, 2009, doi:10.1016/j.ijfatigue.2009.04.007.
- Choi, K. S., and Pan, J., "Simulations of Stress Distributions in Crankshaft Sections under Fillet Rolling and Bending Fatigue Tests," International Journal of Fatigue 31(1):544-557, 2009, doi: 10.1016/j.ijfatigue.2008.03.035.
- Spiteri, P., Ho, S., and Lee, Y. L., "Assessment of Bending Fatigue Limit for Crankshaft Sections with Inclusion of Residual Stresses," International Journal of Fatigue 29(1):318-329, 2007, doi: 10.1016/j.ijfatigue.2006.03.009.
- Ho, S., Lee, Y. L., Kang, H. T., and Wang, C. J., "Optimization of a Crankshaft Rolling Process for Durability," International Journal of Fatigue 31(1):799-808, 2009, doi: 10.1016/j.ijfatigue.2008.11.011.
- Callister, W., Materials Science and Engineering, Blackwell, 2010.