This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Analysis of Transition from HCCI to CI via PPC with Low Octane Gasoline Fuels Using Optical Diagnostics and Soot Particle Analysis
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 08, 2017 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
In-cylinder visualization, combustion stratification, and engine-out particulate matter (PM) emissions were investigated in an optical engine fueled with Haltermann straight-run naphtha fuel and corresponding surrogate fuel. The combustion mode was transited from homogeneous charge compression ignition (HCCI) to conventional compression ignition (CI) via partially premixed combustion (PPC). Single injection strategy with the change of start of injection (SOI) from early to late injections was employed. The high-speed color camera was used to capture the in-cylinder combustion images. The combustion stratification was analyzed based on the natural luminosity of the combustion images. The regulated emission of unburned hydrocarbon (UHC), carbon monoxide (CO) and nitrogen oxides (NOX) were measured to evaluate the combustion efficiency together with the in-cylinder rate of heat release. Soot mass concentration was measured and linked with the combustion stratification and the integrated red channel intensity of the high-speed images for the soot emissions. The nucleation nanoscale particle number and the particle size distribution were sampled to understand the effect of combustion mode switch.
- Yanzhao An - King Abdullah University of Science & Tech
- R Vallinayagam - King Abdullah University of Science & Tech
- S Vedharaj - King Abdullah University of Science & Tech
- Jean-Baptiste Masurier - King Abdullah University of Science & Tech
- Alaaeldin Dawood - King Abdullah University of Science & Tech
- Mohammad Izadi Najafabadi - Technische Universiteit Eindhoven
- Bart Somers - Eindhoven University of Technology
- Bengt Johansson - King Abdullah University of Science & Tech
CitationAn, Y., Vallinayagam, R., Vedharaj, S., Masurier, J. et al., "Analysis of Transition from HCCI to CI via PPC with Low Octane Gasoline Fuels Using Optical Diagnostics and Soot Particle Analysis," SAE Technical Paper 2017-01-2403, 2017, https://doi.org/10.4271/2017-01-2403.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|[Unnamed Dataset 1]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 2]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 3]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 4]|
- Englert, N., “Fine Particles and Human Health a Review of Epidemiological Studies,” Toxicology Letter 149(1-3): 235-42, 2004, doi:10.1016/j.toxlet.2003.12.035.
- Brunekreef, B. and Holgate, S.T., “Air Pollution and Health,” The Lancet 360(9341): 1233-1242 2002, doi: 10.1016/S0140-6736(02)11274-8.
- Künzli, N., Kaiser, R., Medina, S., Studnicka, M. et al., “PublicHealth Impact of Outdoor and Traffic-Related Air Pollution: a European Assessment,” The Lancet 356(9232):795-801, 2000, doi: 10.1016/S0140-6736(00)02653-2.
- Noehre, C., Andersson, M., Johansson, B., and Hultqvist, A., "Characterization of Partially Premixed Combustion," SAE Technical Paper 2006-01-3412, 2006, doi:10.4271/2006-01-3412.
- Manente, V., Johansson, B., and Tunestal, P., "Partially Premixed Combustion at High Load using Gasoline and Ethanol, a Comparison with Diesel," SAE Technical Paper 2009-01-0944, 2009, doi:10.4271/2009-01-0944.
- Yin, L., Ingesson, G., Tunestal, P., Johansson, R. et al., "An Experimental Investigation of a Multi-Cylinder Engine with Gasoline-Like Fuel towards a High Engine Efficiency," SAE Technical Paper 2016-01-0763, 2016, doi:10.4271/2016-01-0763.
- Kalghatgi, G., Risberg, P., and Ångström, H., "Partially Pre-Mixed Auto-Ignition of Gasoline to Attain Low Smoke and Low NOx at High Load in a Compression Ignition Engine and Comparison with a Diesel Fuel," SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-0006, 2007, doi:10.4271/2007-01-0006.
- Hildingsson, L., Kalghatgi, G., Tait, N., Johansson, B. et al., "Fuel Octane Effects in the Partially Premixed Combustion Regime in Compression Ignition Engines," SAE Technical Paper 2009-01-2648, 2009, doi:10.4271/2009-01-2648.
- Chang, J., Kalghatgi, G., Amer, A., and Viollet, Y., "Enabling High Efficiency Direct Injection Engine with Naphtha Fuel through Partially Premixed Charge Compression Ignition Combustion," SAE Technical Paper 2012-01-0677, 2012, doi:10.4271/2012-01-0677.
- Chang, J., Viollet, Y., Amer, A., and Kalghatgi, G., "Fuel Economy Potential of Partially Premixed Compression Ignition (PPCI) Combustion with Naphtha Fuel," SAE Technical Paper 2013-01-2701, 2013, doi:10.4271/2013-01-2701.
- Chang, J., Kalghatgi, G., Amer, A., Adomeit, P. et al., "Vehicle Demonstration of Naphtha Fuel Achieving Both High Efficiency and Drivability with EURO6 Engine-Out NOx Emission," SAE Int. J. Engines 6(1):101-119, 2013, doi:10.4271/2013-01-0267.
- Bouet, A., Won, H., Morel, V., Thirouard, M. et al., "Potential of Naphtha-like Fuel on an Existing Modern Compression Ignition Engine," SAE Technical Paper 2015-01-1813, 2015, doi:10.4271/2015-01-1813.
- Kittelson, D., “Engine and Nanoparticles: a Review,” Journal of Aerosol Science, 29 (5-6): 575-588, 1998, doi: org/10.1016/S0021-8502(97)10037-4.
- Burtscher, H., “Physical characterization of particulate emissions from diesel engines: a review,” Journal of Aerosol Science, 36 (7): 896-932, 2005, doi:org/10.1016/j.jaerosci.2004.12.001.
- Maricq, M. Matti. “Chemical characterization of particulate emissions from diesel engines: A review,” Journal of Aerosol Science, 38 (11): 1079-1118, 2007, doi:org/10.1016/j.jaerosci.2007.08.001.
- Destantes, J. M., Bermúdez V., García J. M., Fuentes E., “Effects of current engine strategies on the exhaust aerosol particle size distribution from a heavy-duty diesel engine,” Journal of Aerosol Science, 36 (10): 1251-1276, 2005, doi: org/10.1016/j.jaerosci.2005.01.002.
- An., Y, Li., X, Teng., S, Wang., K, Pei. Y, et al, “Development of a soot particle model with PAHs as precursors through simulations and experiments,” Fuel 179, 246-257, 2016, doi: org/10.1016/j.fuel.2016.03.100.
- An., Y, Teng., S, Pei. Y, et al., “An experimental study of polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons and soot emissions from a GDI engine fueled with commercial gasoline”. Fuel, 164, 160-171, 2016, doi: org/10.1016/j.fuel.2015.10.007.
- An., Y, Pei. Y, et al., “Kinetic modeling of polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons formation process for gasoline surrogate fuels,” Energy Conversion and Management 100, 249-261, 2015, doi: org/10.1016/j.enconman.2015.05.013.
- An., Y, Pei. Y, et al., “Development of a PAH (polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbon) formation model for gasoline surrogates and its application for GDI (gasoline direct injection) engine CFD (computational fluid dynamics) simulation,” Energy, 94, 367-379,2016, doi:org/10.1016/j.energy.2015.11.014.
- Shen, M., Tuner, M., Johansson, B., Tunestal, P. et al., "Influence of Injection Timing on Exhaust Particulate Matter Emissions of Gasoline in HCCI and PPC," SAE Technical Paper 2016-01-2300, 2016, doi:10.4271/2016-01-2300.
- Maricq, M. M. “Chemical characterization of particulate emissions from diesel engines: A review,” Aerosol Science, 38: 1079-1118, 2007, doi.org/10.1016/j.jaerosci.2007.08.001.
- Izadi Najafabadi, M., Dam, N., Somers, B., and Johansson, B., "Ignition Sensitivity Study of Partially Premixed Combustion by Using Shadowgraphy and OH* Chemiluminescence Methods," SAE Technical Paper 2016-01-0761, 2016, doi:10.4271/2016-01-0761.
- Vallinayagam, R., Vedharaj, S., An, Y., Dawood, A. et al., "Combustion Stratification for Naphtha from CI Combustion to PPC," SAE Technical Paper 2017-01-0745, 2017, doi:10.4271/2017-01-0745.
- Tanov, S., Collin, R., Johansson, B., and Tuner, M., "Combustion Stratification with Partially Premixed Combustion, PPC, using NVO and Split Injection in a LD - Diesel Engine," SAE Int. J. Engines 7(4):1911-1919, 2014, doi:10.4271/2014-01-2677.
- Mehl, M, Chen, J.Y., Pitz, W.J., Sarathy, S.M., Westbrook, C.K., “An Approach for Formulating Surrogates for Gasoline with Application toward a Reduced Surrogate Mechanism for CFD Engine Modeling,” Energy Fuels, 25: 5215-5223, 2011, dx.doi.org/10.1021/ef201099y.
- Andrae, J.C.G., Head, R.A., “HCCI experiments with gasoline surrogate fuels modeled by a semi detailed chemical kinetic model,” Combustion and Flame: 156, 842-851, 2009, doi:10.1016/j.combustflame.2008.10.002.
- Bukowiecki, N., Kittelson, D., Watts, W., Burtscher, H., Weingartner, E. and Baltensperger, U., “Real-time characterization of ultrafine and accumulation mode particles in ambient combustion aerosols,” J. Aerosol Sci, 33: 1139-1154, 2002, doi: org/10.1016/S0021-8502(02)00063-0.