This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Catalyzed Gasoline Particulate Filter (GPF) Performance: Effect of Driving Cycle, Fuel, Catalyst Coating
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 08, 2017 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
Because of the increased use of gasoline direct engine (GDI) in the automobile industry, there is a significant need to control particulates from GDI engines based on emission regulations. One potential technical approach is the utilization of a gasoline particulate filter (GPF). The successful adoption of this emission control technology needs to take many aspects into consideration and requires a system approach for optimization. This study conducted research to investigate the impact of vehicle driving cycles, fuel properties and catalyst coating on the performance of GPF. It was found that driving cycle has significant impact on particulate emission. Fuel quality still plays a role in particulate emissions, and can affect the GPF performance. Catalyzed GPF is preferred for soot regeneration, especially for the case that the vehicle operation is dominated by congested city driving condition, i.e. low operating temperatures. The details of the study are presented in the paper.
- Huifang Shao - Afton Chemical Corp.
- Joesph Remias - Afton Chemical Corp.
- Joseph Roos - Afton Chemical Corp.
- Yinhui Wang - Afton Chemical Corp.
- Wenzheng Xia - Kunming Sino-Platinum Metals Catalyst Co.
- Yi Zheng - Kunming Sino-Platinum Metals Catalyst Co.
- Xiaokun He - Kunming Sino-Platinum Metals Catalyst Co.
- Dongxia Yang - Kunming Sino-Platinum Metals Catalyst Co.
CitationXia, W., Zheng, Y., He, X., Yang, D. et al., "Catalyzed Gasoline Particulate Filter (GPF) Performance: Effect of Driving Cycle, Fuel, Catalyst Coating," SAE Technical Paper 2017-01-2366, 2017, https://doi.org/10.4271/2017-01-2366.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|Unnamed Dataset 1|
|Unnamed Dataset 2|
|Unnamed Dataset 3|
|Unnamed Dataset 4|
- Zhang W. , Guo J. , Sun Y. et al. Source Apportionment for Uban PM10 and PM2.5 in the Beijing Area Chinese science Bulletin March 2007 52 5 608 615
- Du S. Research on the Strategies and Policies of the Urban Clean Air Action G-1009-13396 November 2010
- Limits and Measurement Methods for Emissions from Light-Duty Vehicles (CHINA 6)
- International Council on Clean Transportation China’s Stage 6 Emission Standard for New Light-Duty Vehicles (Final Rule) March 27 th
- Piock , W. , Befrui , B. , Berndorfer , A. , and Hoffmann , G. Fuel Pressure and Charge Motion Effects on GDi Engine Particulate Emissions SAE Int. J. Engines 8 2 464 473 2015 10.4271/2015-01-0746
- Gladstein, Neandross & Associates Ultrafine Particulate Matter and the Benefits of Reducing Particle Numbers in the United States July 2013
- Chen , L. , Stone , R. , Richardson , D. Effect of the Valve Timing and the Coolant Temperature on Particulate Emissions from a Gasoline Direct-Injection Engine Fuelled with Gasoline and with a Gasoline-Ethanol Blend Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, Part D: Journal of Automobile Engineering May 2012
- Transport & Environment Briefing: Particle Emissions from Petrol Cars November 2013
- Guan B. , Zhan R. , Lin H. , Huang Z. Review of the State-of-the-Art of Exhaust Particulate Filter Technology in Internal Combustion Engines Journal of Environment Management 154 2015 225 258
- Mamakos , A. Feasibility of Introducing Particulate Filters on Gasoline Direct Injection Vehicles FRC Scientific and Policy Reports 2011
- Susterac , X. The Emissions Control Industry - Innovating for Cleaner Air Green Week June 2013
- Ito , Y. , Shimoda , T. , Aoki , T. , Yuuki , K. et al. Next Generation of Ceramic Wall Flow Gasoline Particulate Filter with Integrated Three Way Catalyst SAE Technical Paper 2015-01-1073 2015 10.4271/2015-01-1073
- Craig , A. , Warkins , J. , Aravelli , K. , Moser , D. et al. Low Cost LEV-III, Tier-III Emission Solutions with Particulate Control using Advanced Catalysts and Substrates SAE Int. J. Engines 9 2 1276 1288 2016 10.4271/2016-01-0925
- Myung , C. , Kim , J. , Jang W. et al. Nanoparticle Filtration Characteristics of Advanced Metal Foam Media for a Spark Ignition Direct Injection Engine in Steady Engine Operating Conditions and Vehicle Test Modes Energies 2015 8 1865 1881
- Mikulic , I. , Koelman , H. , Majkowski , S. , Vosejpka , P. A Study about Particle Filter Application on a State-of-the-Art Homogeneous Turbocharged 2L Gasoline Engine 19th Aachener Kolloquium 2010
- Bischof , C. , Boger , T. , Gunasekaran , N. , and Bhargava , R. Advanced Particulate Filter Technologies for Direct Injection Gasoline Engine Applications DEER Conference October, 2012
- Roth , P. , Yang , J. , Durbin , T. et al. Secondary Organic Aerosol (SOA) Forming Potential from Emerging Light Duty Gasoline Direct Injection Vehicles 27th CRC Real World Emission Workshop March, 2017
- Shao , H. , Lam , W. , Remias , J. , Roos , J. et al. Effect of Lubricant Oil Properties on the Performance of Gasoline Particulate Filter (GPF) SAE Int. J. Fuels Lubr. 9 3 650 658 2016 10.4271/2016-01-2287
- Custer , N. , Kamp , C. , Sappok , A. , Pakko , J. et al. Lubricant-Derived Ash Impact on Gasoline Particulate Filter Performance SAE Int. J. Engines 9 3 1604 1614 2016 10.4271/2016-01-0942
- Choi , S. , Seong , H. Lube Oil-dependent Ash Chemistry on Soot Oxidation Reactivity in a Gasoline Direct-injection Engine Combustion and Flame 174 2016 68 76
- Sheids , E , Mader , P. , Ssahni , S. , Chang , O. Particulate Matter (PM) Emissions from Low-Greenhouse Gas Emitting Light Duty Vehicles 27th CRC Real World Emission Workshop March, 2017
- Kern , B. , Spiess , S. , and Richter , J. Comprehensive Gasoline Exhaust Gas Aftertreatment, an Effective Measure to Minimize the Contribution of Modern Direct Injection Engines to Fine Dust and Soot Emissions? SAE Technical Paper 2014-01-1513 2014 10.4271/2014-01-1513
- Zhan , R. , Eakle , S. , and Weber , P. Simultaneous Reduction of PM, HC, CO and NOx Emissions from a GDI Engine SAE Technical Paper 2010-01-0365 2010 10.4271/2010-01-0365
- Zhang O. EMPRO TM Four-Way -Conversion Catalyst (FWC TM ): Integrated Solutions for Stringent Emissions Control BASF
- Lambert C. Gasoline Particle Filter Development 2016 DOE-Crosscut Lean/Low-temperature Exhaust Emissions Reduction Simulation (CLEERS) Workshop April, 2016
- Wang Y. , Zheng R. , Qin Y. et al. The Impact of Fuel Composition on the Particulate Emissions of Direct Injection Gasoline Engine Fuel 166 2016 543 552