This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Effect of Metallurgy on the Formation of Tribofilms and Wear Prevention
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 08, 2017 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
Different mechanical components in a vehicle can be made from different steel alloys with various surface treatments or coatings. Lubricant technology is needed to prevent wear and control friction on all of these different surfaces. Phosphorus compounds are the key additives that are used to control wear and they do this by forming tribofilms on surfaces. It has been shown that different operating conditions (pressures and sliding conditions) can influence the formation of tribofilms formed by different anti-wear additives. The effect of surface metallurgy and morphology on tribofilm formation is described in this paper. Our results show that additive technology can form proper tribofilms on various surfaces and the right combination of additives can be found for current and future surfaces.
|Technical Paper||Observations on Spot Welding Aluminum for Automotive Applications|
|Technical Paper||New Chemical Surface Treatments for Processing Titanium|
|Technical Paper||Effect of Pre-treatment on Corrosion Performance of AZ31B Magnesium Alloy Panel|
CitationDevlin, M., Guevremont, J., Hewette, C., Ingram, M. et al., "Effect of Metallurgy on the Formation of Tribofilms and Wear Prevention," SAE Technical Paper 2017-01-2357, 2017, https://doi.org/10.4271/2017-01-2357.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|[Unnamed Dataset 1]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 2]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 3]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 4]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 5]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 6]|
- Errichello, R., “Friction, Lubrication, and Wear of Gears”, Friction, Lubrication, and Wear Technology, ASM Handbook, Vol. 18, ASM International, Metals Park, Ohio, 535-545 (1992).
- Rizvi, S.Q.A, “Lubricant Additives and Their Functions”, Friction, Lubrication, and Wear Technology, ASM Handbook, Vol. 18, ASM International, Metals Park, Ohio, 98-112 (1992).
- Spikes, H.A., “The History and Mechanism of ZDDP”, Tribology Letters, Vol 17 (3), October 2004.
- Johnson, D.W. and Hils, J.E., “Phosphate Esters, Thiophosphte Esters and Metal Thiophosphates as Lubricant Additives”, Lubricants, V. 1, pp. 132-148, 2013.
- Fujita, H. and Spikes, H.A., “The Study of Antiwear Film Formation Kinetics”, 15th International Colloquium Tribology, Ostfildern, Germany, 17-19 January 2006.
- Fujita, H., Glovnea, R.P. and Spikes, H.A., “Study of Zinc Dialkyldithiophosphate Antiwear Film Formation and Removal Processes, Part I: Experimental”, Tribology Transactions 48, 558-566, 2005.
- Fujita, H. and Spikes, H.A., “Study of Zinc Dialkyl-dithiophosphate Antiwear Film Formation and Removal Processes, Part II: Kinetic Model”, Tribology Transactions 48, 567-575, 2005.
- Cann, P.M., Hutchinson, J. and Spikes, H.A., “The Development of a Spacer Layer Imaging Method (SLIM) for Mapping Elastohydrodynamic Contacts”, Tribology Transactions 36, 915-921, 1996.
- Inacker, O., Beckmann, P. and Oster, P., “Untersuchungen zur Bildung, Charakterisierung und Wirkungsweise von Triboschutzschichten”, Forschungsheft Forschungsvereingung Antriebstechnik e. V., Heft 595, 2000.
- Inacker, O. and Beckmann, P., “Zusammenhaenge zwischen Zahnrad- und Waelzlagerschaeden und tribologischen Veraenderungen des oberflaehennahen Werkstoffbereichs”, FVA Research Report No. 289/Ib and IIb, Forschungsheft 733, 2003.
- Oechsner, H., “Secondary Neutron Mass Spectrometry and its Application to Depth Profile and Surface Analysis”, Topics in Current Physics 37, Springer Verlag Berlin, 63-85, 1984.
- Yablon, D.G., Kalamaras, P.H. Deckman, D.E. and Webster, M.N., “Atomic Force Microscopy and Raman Spectroscopy Investigation of Additive Interactions Responsible for Anti-Wear Film Formation in Lubricated Contact”, Tribology Transactions 49, 108-116, 2006.
- Uy, D., Simko, S., O'Neill, A., Jensen, R. et al., "Raman Characterization of Anti-Wear Films Formed from Fresh and Aged Engine Oils," SAE Technical Paper 2006-01-1099, 2006, doi:10.4271/2006-01-1099.
- Taylor, L., Glovnea, R., Ribeaud, M., and Spikes, H.A, “The Nature and Properties of Antiwear Additive Films”, Proceedings of the International Tribology Conference, Nagasaki, Japan, October 2000.
- Taylor, L., Spikes, H., and Camenzind, H., "Film-Forming Properties of Zinc-Based and Ashless Antiwear Additives," SAE Technical Paper 2000-01-2030, 2000, doi:10.4271/2000-01-2030.
- Guevremont, J.M., Garelick, K., Sheets, R.M., Hux, K., Heaps, C. and Devlin, M.T., “Composition and Frictional Properties of Tribofilms Formed with Ashless Antiwear Additives”, 66th STLE Annual Meeting and Exhibition, Atlanta, GA, May, 2011
- Devlin, M.T., Turner, T.L., Milner, J., Hewette, C., Sheets, R., Ryan, H., and Jao, T-C, “Wear Prevention by Phosphorus Species that Form Thin Tribofilms”, AITC -AIT 2006 International Conference on Tribology, Parma, Italy, 20-22 September, 2006.
- Guevremont, J.M., Pollard, G., Hux, K., Devlin, M.T., Durbin, K., Johansson, J.E. and Prakash, B., “Fatigue Performance of Low Viscosity Energy Efficient Lubricants”, 9th International Symposium on Fuels and Lubricants, New Delhi, India, April 15-17, 2014.
- Devlin, M.T., Guevremont, J.M., Garelick, K., Hux, K., Smith, A. and Jao, T-C, “The Effect of Sulfur and Phosphorus Content of Antiwear Additives on Friction and Boundary Film Formation”, Proceedings Royal Society of Chemistry’s Additives 2009 Conference, York, UK, April 2009.
- Pollard, G., Guevremont, J.M, Devlin, M.T., Anderson, W.B and Ryan, H., "White Etching Formation Due To High Stress Conditions", 20th International Colloquium Tribology Esslingen, Germany, January, 2016
- Mosey, N.J., Muser, M.H. and Woo, T.K., “Molecular Mechanism for the Functionality of Lubricant Additives”, Science 307, 1612-1615, 2005.
- Gosvani, N.N., Bares, J.A., Mangolini, F., Konicek, A.R., Yablon, D.G. and Carpick, R.W “Mechnanisms for Antiwear Tribofilm Growth Revealed in situ by Single-Asperity Sliding Contacts”, Science 348, 102-106, 2015.
- Shimizu, Y. and Spikes, H.A., “The Influence of Slide-Roll Ratio on ZDDP Tribofilm Formation”, Tribol. Lett. 64:19, 2016.
- Shimizu, Y. and Spikes, H.A., “The Tribofilm Formation of ZDDP Under Reciprocating Pure Sliding Conditions”, Tribol. Lett., 64:46, 2016.
- Zhang, J. and Spikes, H.A., “On the Mechanism of ZDDP Antiwear Film Formation”, Tribol. Lett. 63:24, 2016.
- Pagkalis, K., Ingram, M. and Kadaric, A., “Influence of Rubbing Materials on the Effectiveness of Lubricating Boundary Films”, STLE 71st Annual Meeting and Exhibition, Las Vegas, NV, May 2016.
- Rydel, J.J, “Tribochemistry of Bearing Steels”, Dissertation University of Cambridge, 2016.
- Miller, M.K., Khalid, H., Michael, P.W., Guevremont, J.M., Garelick, K., Pollard, G.W., Whitworth, A.J. and Devlin, M.T., “An Investigation of Hydraulic Motor Efficiency and Tribological Surface Properties”, Tribology Transactions 57 : 622-630, 2014.