Influence of the Methanol Proportion on the Combustion Characteristics of Methanol-Biodiesel -F-T Diesel Blended Fuel
- Technical Paper
- ISSN 0148-7191
- DOI: https://doi.org/10.4271/2017-01-2335
The F-T diesel made from coal by Fischer-Tropsch synthesis (F-T) can be used as a clean alternative fuel of diesel engine. To alleviate the drawback of high cost and low viscosity of F-T diesel, the Methanol-Biodiesel -F-T diesel multiple fuel (MBFT) was prepared by adding low-cost methanol and high-viscosity biodiesel as modifiers. Considering the immiscibility between alcohols and hydrocarbons, this paper carried out a series of stability tests and found that n-decanol was the optimum co-solvent of MBFT. The MBFTs blended by biodiesel with the volume fraction of 10% (10% vol.) and methanol with varying proportions of 0%, 5%, 10% and 15% vol. were denoted as M0, M5, M10 and M15, respectively. The increasing methanol proportion caused the increase of the oxygen content in the blended fuels and the reduction of heat value, surface tension and cetane number. The influence of methanol proportion on combustion characteristics of turbo-charging engine was studied. The study indicates that with the increase of the proportion of methanol, the ignition delay period of MBFT is prolonged 17.3∼37.1% while the normal combustion period and post combustion period is shortened 7.5∼16.0% and 28.3%∼49.0%, respectively; the peak value of heat release rate is increased 8.3%∼32.7% and the peak value phase is delayed 20.8%∼51.6%, the peak value of pressure rise rate also presents this trend. The combustion pressure oscillation amplitude increases 10.8%∼60.0% with the increase of methanol ratio, and the peak value phase of pressure oscillation is delayed 23.5%∼134.6%.
CitationYang, T., Wang, T., Qiao, J., Gao, J. et al., "Influence of the Methanol Proportion on the Combustion Characteristics of Methanol-Biodiesel -F-T Diesel Blended Fuel," SAE Technical Paper 2017-01-2335, 2017, https://doi.org/10.4271/2017-01-2335.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|[Unnamed Dataset 1]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 2]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 3]|
- Yongcheng H., Shangxue W., and Longbao Z., "Effects of Fischer-Tropsch diesel fuel on combustion and emissions of a direct injection diesel engine. " Chinese Internal Combustion Engine Engineering 2007-02-005, 2007,doi: 10.13949/j.cnki.nrjgc.2007.02.005.
- Yongcheng H., Longbao Z., Shangxue W., Keyu P., "Performance and emissions of a direct injection diesel engine operation on No.0 diesel and Fischer-Tropsch diesel blends." Chinese Internal Combustion Engine Engineering 2007-03-017, 2007, doi: 10.13949/j.cnki.nrjgc.2007.03.017.
- Lidong L., Chonglin S., Gang L., Huawei Z. et al., "Effects of Fischer-Tropsch diesel fuel on combustion characterics of diesel engine with high-pressure common rail system. " Journal of Tianjin University, 2011.
- Lidong L., Chonglin S., Guangyan Z., Suozhu P., "Effects of F-T diesel fuel on the performance and emission characteristics of diesel engine with a high-pressure common rail system." Journal of fuel chemistry and technology 2011-01-014, 2011, doi: 10.3969/j.issn.0253-2409.2011.01.014.
- Hewu W., Han H., Xihao L., Ke Z. et al., "Performance of Euro III common rail heavy duty diesel engine fueled with Gas to Liquid." Applied Energy 2009-02-004, 2009, doi: 10.1016/j.apenergy.2009.02.004.
- Xinling L., and Zhen H., "Emission reduction potential of using gas-to-liquid and dimethyl ether fuels on a turbocharged diesel engine. " The Science of the total environment 2008-11-043, 2008, doi: 10.1016/j.scitotenv.2008.11.043.
- Bermúdez V., Lujan J.M., Pla B., Linares W.G.. "Comparative study of regulated and unregulated gaseous emissions during NEDC in a light-duty diesel engine fuelled with Fischer Tropsch and biodiesel fuels." Biomass and Bioenergy 2010-10-034, 2010, doi: 10.1016/j.biombioe.2010.10.034.
- Torregrosa A.J., Broatch A., Plá B., Mónico L.F., "Impact of Fischer-Tropsch and biodiesel fuels on trade-offs between pollutant emissions and combustion noise in diesel engines." Biomass and Bioenergy 2013-03-004, 2013, doi: 10.1016/j.biombioe.2013.03.004.
- Tiantian Y., Tie W., Yisen C., Lei L. et al., "The study of characteristics of blended fuel of Fischer-Tropsch diesel and biodiesel." Journal of TaiYan University Of Technology 2014-06-023, 2014, doi: 10.16355/j.cnki.issn1007-9432tyut.2014.06.023.
- Lei Z., Cheung C.S., Zhang W.G., Zhen H., "Combustion, performance and emission characteristics of a DI diesel engine fueled with ethanol-biodiesel blends." Fuel 2011-01-024, 2011, doi: 10.1016/j.fuel.2011.01.024.
- Sadeghinezhad E., Kazi S.N., Badarudin A., Oon C.S. et al., "A comprehensive review of bio-diesel as alternative fuel for compression ignition engines." Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews 2013-08-003,2013, doi: 10.1016/j.rser.2013.08.003.
- Mat Yasin M.H., Yusaf Talal, Mamat R., Yusop A. Fitri, "Characterization of a diesel engine operating with a small proportion of methanol as a fuel additive in biodiesel blend." Applied Energy 2013-06-012, 2014, doi: 10.1016/j.apenergy.2013.06.012.
- Wenying G., Quan S., Bo P., Chunming X. "Present situation of the researches on ethanol diesel oil," Journal of Xi’an Shiyou University( Natural Science Edition), 2004.
- Satgé de Caro P, Mouloungui Z, Vaitilingom G, Berge JC. "Interest of combining an additive with diesel-ethanol blends for use in diesel engines." Fuel, 2001, PII: S0016-2361(00)00117-4.
- Lei L., Tie W., Jinhong S., Yong W. et al., "Combustion pressure oscillation of turbocharged and intercooled diesel engine fueled with F-T diesel." Vehicle Engine, 2013.