This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Study on Dynamic Characteristics of High-Speed Solenoid Injectors by Means of Contactless Measurement
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 08, 2017 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
In-cylinder direct-injected technology provides a flexible and accurate optimization for internal combustion engines to reduce emission and improve fuel efficiency. With increasingly stringent requirements for the emissions of nitrogen oxides (NOx) and CO2, the content of injections in an engine combustion cycle has reached 7 to 9 times in gasoline direct injection (GDI) and the diesel engine with high-pressure common rail (HPCR). Accurate control of both time and quantity of injection is critical for engine performance and emissions, while the dynamic response of injector spray characteristics is a key factor.
In this paper, a test bench was built for monitoring the dynamic response of solenoid injectors with high-speed micro-photography and synchronous current collection system. Experimental studies on the dynamic response of GDI and HPCR solenoid injectors were carried out. Comparative study showed that there was a high correlation of the delay time of opening and closing of solenoid valves with solenoid current. The solenoid valves would not open until current rate reached to a threshold value. When they closed, there was a bump in current curve. Based on the above, the dynamic characteristics of solenoid valves such as opening delay and closing delay could be obtained. As for HPCR injectors, by monitoring and analyzing the pressure of injector inlets, injection duration could be further decomposed into opening process, full-open process and closing process. Compared with GDI injectors, the change of injection pressure had a great influence on the opening delay and the closing delay of HPCR injectors, but actual fuel injection duration was different.
- Zenghui Yin - China Automotive Technology and Research Center
- Xiaojun Jing - China Automotive Technology and Research Center
- Tieqiang Fu - China Automotive Technology and Research Center
- Hua Zhou - China Automotive Technology and Research Center
- Chunde Yao - Tianjin University
- Jiangtao Hu - Tianjin University
- Peilin Geng - Tianjin University
CitationYin, Z., Jing, X., Fu, T., Zhou, H. et al., "Study on Dynamic Characteristics of High-Speed Solenoid Injectors by Means of Contactless Measurement," SAE Technical Paper 2017-01-2313, 2017, https://doi.org/10.4271/2017-01-2313.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|[Unnamed Dataset 1]|
- Yao, M., Wang, H., Zheng, Z., & Yue, Y. "Experimental study of n-butanol additive and multi-injection on HD diesel engine performance and emissions," Fuel. 89(9), 2191-2201,2010, doi:org/10.1016/j.fuel.2010.04.008.
- Chiodi, M., Mack, O., Bargende, M., Paule, K. et al., "Improvement of a High-Performance Diesel-Engine by means of Investigation on different Injection Strategies," SAE Technical Paper 2009-24-0008, 2009, https://doi.org/10.4271/2009-24-0008.
- Dober, G., Tullis, S., Greeves, G., Milovanovic, N. et al., "The Impact of Injection Strategies on Emissions Reduction and Power Output of Future Diesel Engines," SAE Technical Paper 2008-01-0941, 2008, https://doi.org/10.4271/2008-01-0941.
- Ghaffarpour, M., & Noorpoor, A. R., "NOx reduction in diesel engines using rate shaping and pilot injection," International journal of automotive technology and management, 7(1), 17-31,2007, dx.doi.org/10.1504/IJATM.2007.013381.
- Vanegas, A., Won, H., Felsch, C., Gauding, M. et al., "Experimental Investigation of the Effect of Multiple Injections on Pollutant Formation in a Common-Rail DI Diesel Engine," SAE Technical Paper 2008-01-1191, 2008, https://doi.org/10.4271/2008-01-1191.
- Han W Y, Xu S C, Zhou Y K, et al, "Start of Injection Impacts on Performance of a Di-rect-injection Spark-ignition Engine," Journal of Tongji University ( Natural Science), 41(4): 565-582, 2013.
- Lee, J., Min, K., Kang, K., and Bae, C., "Hydraulic Simulation and Experimental Analysis of Needle Response and Controlled Injection Rate Shape Characteristics in a Piezo-driven Diesel Injector," SAE Technical Paper 2006-01-1119, 2006, https://doi.org/10.4271/2006-01-1119.
- Oh, B., Oh, S., Lee, K., and Sunwoo, M., "Development of an Injector Driver for Piezo Actuated Common Rail Injectors," SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-3537, 2007, https://doi.org/10.4271/2007-01-3537.
- Martin, D., Pischke, P., & Kneer, R., "Investigation of the influence of multiple gasoline direct injections on macroscopic spray quantities at different boundary conditions by means of visualization techniques," International Journal of Engine Research, 11(6), 439-454,2010, doi.org/10.1243/14680874JER525.
- Passarini, L. C., & Nakajima, P. R., "Development of a high-speed solenoid valve: an investigation of the importance of the armature mass on the dynamic response," Journal of the Brazilian Society of Mechanical Sciences and Engineering, 25(4), 329-335,2003, dx.doi.org/10.1590/S1678-58782003000400003.
- Xia S F, Wang H M, Hou J L, "Research on Automatic Testing System of Injector Nozzle Body," Tractor & Farm Transporter, 2007,34(5):73-76.
- An S J, Ouyang G Y, "Theory and Experimental Study for Solenoid Valve of Electronic Controlled Inector," Transactions of CSICE, 21(5):356-360,2003, 10.16236/j.cnki.nrjxb.2003.05.015.
- Wang J, He L, Zhang Y T, "Automatic Measurement of Needle Lift in Electronic Controlled Fuel Injector," Journal of Academy of Armored Force Engineering,27(3):31-34,2013.
- Zheng J B, Miao X L, Hong J H, "Experiment on Pressure of Nozzle Volume and Control Chamber inSolenoid Injector of Common Rail Sys-temOuyang Guangyao," Transactions of CSICE,31(2):171-176,2013, 10.16236/j.cnki.nrjxb.2013.02.016.
- Zheng J B, Miao X L, Hong J H, "Measurement and Analysis of Pressure of Nozzle Volume in Electric Solenoid Common-Rail System," Transactions of CSICE,30(1):86-90,2012, 10.16236/j.cnki.nrjxb.2012.01.015.
- Moon, S., Gao, Y., Wang, J., Fezzaa, K., & Tsujimura, T., "Near-field dynamics of high-speed diesel sprays: Effects of orifice inlet geometry and injection pressure," Fuel, 133, 299-309,2014, doi.org/10.1016/j.fuel.2014.05.024.
- Payri, R., Salvador, F. J., Martí-Aldaraví, P., & Martínez-López, J., "Using one-dimensional modeling to analyse the influence of the use of biodiesels on the dynamic behavior of solenoid-operated injectors in common rail systems: detailed injection system model," Energy Conversion and Management, 54(1), 90-99,2012, doi.org/10.1016/j.enconman.2011.10.004.
- Mulemane, A., Han, J., Lu, P., Yoon, S. et al., "Modeling Dynamic Behavior of Diesel Fuel Injection Systems," SAE Technical Paper 2004-01-0536, 2004, https://doi.org/10.4271/2004-01-0536.