This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Effect of Direct Water Injection Timing on Common Rail Diesel Engine Combustion Process and Efficiency Enhancement
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 08, 2017 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
The present work aims at optimizing diesel engine combustion efficiency with optimized water injection strategy. The engine had been modified based on a two-cylinder mechanical pump diesel engine into common rail diesel engine with capability of direct water injection. The direct water injection system was designed and manufactured independently. An air-fluid booster was utilized to establish the water injection pressure up to 40MPa. Customized diesel injector was selected to be used as water injector in this study. Water injection strategy was optimized in detail with injection timing around TDC which ranges from 12°CA BTDC to -5°CA BTDC under 10 bar IMEP. The engine efficiency can be improved under selected water injection strategy due to the increment of work fluid in the combustion chamber. Moreover, the nitric oxides emissions show decrement around 10%. As the water injection timing approaching TDC, the efficiency enhancement rate increased and reached its peak value at 5°CA BTDC. The enhancement rate dropped as the injection timing further postpones. The water injection timing shows little effect on the nitric oxides emissions under the selected water injection duration. It can be predicted that the enhancement rate can be improved as engine load increases.
CitationJiang, L., Kang, Z., Zhang, Z., Wu, Z. et al., "Effect of Direct Water Injection Timing on Common Rail Diesel Engine Combustion Process and Efficiency Enhancement," SAE Technical Paper 2017-01-2281, 2017, https://doi.org/10.4271/2017-01-2281.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|[Unnamed Dataset 1]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 2]|
- Nicholls, J., EI-Messiri, I., and Newhali, H., "Inlet Manifold Water Injection for Control of Nitrogen Oxides - Theory and Experiment," SAE Technical Paper 690018, 1969, doi:10.4271/690018.
- Udayakumar, R., Sundaram, S., and Sriram, R., "Reduction of NOx Emissions by Water Injection in to the Inlet Manifold of a DI Diesel Engine," SAE Technical Paper 2003-01-0264, 2003, https://doi.org/10.4271/2003-01-0264.
- Hives, E. and Smith, F., "High-Output Aircraft Engines," SAE Technical Paper 400133, 1940, doi:10.4271/400133.
- Conklin James C., Szybist James P., A highly efficient six-stroke internal combustion engine cycle with water injection for in-cylinder exhaust heat recovery, Energy, Volume 35, Issue 4, April 2010, Pages 1658-1664, ISSN 0360-5442, http://doi.org/10.1016/j.energy.2009.12.012.
- Hassan Mohamed I., Brimmo Ayoola T., Modeling In-Cylinder Water Injection in a 2-Stroke Internal Combustion Engine, Energy Procedia, Volume 75, 2015, Pages 2331-2336, ISSN 1876-6102, http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.egypro.2015.07.435.
- Bermúdez V., Serrano J.R., Piqueras P., García-Afonso O., Pre-DPF water injection technique for pressure drop control in loaded wall-flow diesel particulate filters, Applied Energy, Volume 140, 15 February 2015, Pages 234-245, ISSN 0306-2619, http://doi.org/10.1016/j.apenergy.2014.12.003.
- Wu Zhijun, Fu Lezhong, Gao Yang, Yu Xiao, Deng Jun, Li Liguang, Thermal efficiency boundary analysis of an internal combustion Rankine cycle engine, Energy, Volume 94, 1 January 2016, Pages 38-49, ISSN 0360-5442, http://doi.org/10.1016/j.energy.2015.10.099.
- Bilger Robert W., Zhijun Wu, "Carbon capture for automobiles using internal combustion Rankine cycle engines," Journal of Engineering for Gas Turbines and Power, 01/2009; 131(3), doi:10.1115/1.3077657.
- Xiao Yu, Zhijun Wu, "Simulation on effect of EGR on Oxy-fuel IC Engine," Applied Mechanics and Materials, 2012, (130-134): 790-795, doi:10.4028/www.scientific.net/AMM.130-134.790.
- Yu, X., Wu, Z., Wang, C., Deng, J. et al., "Study of the Combustion and Emission Characteristics of a Quasi ICRC Engine Under Different Engine Loads," SAE Technical Paper 2014-01-1202, 2014, https://doi.org/10.4271/2014-01-1202.
- Zhi-jun Wu, Xiao YU, Le-zhong Fu, et al, "Experimental Study of the Effect of Water Injection on Cycle Performance of an Internal combustion Rankine Cycle Engine," Journal of Automobile Engineering. 04/2014, 228(5), 580-588, doi:10.1177/0954407013511069.
- Fu, L., Wu, Z., Li, L., and Yu, X., "Effect of Water Injection Temperature on Characteristics of Combustion and Emissions for Internal Combustion Rankine Cycle Engine," SAE Technical Paper 2014-01-2600, 2014, https://doi.org/10.4271/2014-01-2600.
- Yu, X., Wu, Z., Fu, L., Deng, J. et al., "Study of Combustion Characteristics of a Quasi Internal Combustion Rankine Cycle Engine," SAE Technical Paper 2013-01-2698, 2013, https://doi.org/10.4271/2013-01-2698.
- Kang, Z., Wu, Z., Zhang, Z., Deng, J. et al., "Study of the Combustion Characteristics of a HCCI Engine Coupled with Oxy-Fuel Combustion Mode," SAE Int. J. Engines 10(3):908-916, 2017, https://doi.org/10.4271/2017-01-0649.
- Wu Zhi-Jun, Yu Xiao, Fu Le-Zhong, Deng Jun, Hu Zong-Jie, Li Li-Guang, A high efficiency oxyfuel internal combustion engine cycle with water direct injection for waste heat recovery, Energy, Volume 70, 1 June 2014, Pages 110-120, ISSN 0360-5442, http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.energy.2014.03.095.
- Hountalas, D., Mavropoulos, G., and Zannis, T., "Comparative Evaluation of EGR, Intake Water Injection and Fuel/Water Emulsion as NOx Reduction Techniques for Heavy Duty Diesel Engines," SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-0120, 2007, https://doi.org/10.4271/2007-01-0120.
- Miyamoto, N., Ogawa, H., Wang, J., and Ohashi, H., "Significant NOx Reductions with Direct Water Injection into the Sub-Chamber of an IDI Diesel Engine," SAE Technical Paper 950609, 1995, doi:10.4271/950609.
- Atkinson W, Barros S, Piduru N. In Cylinder NOx Emissions Control via Water Injection. ASME. Internal Combustion Engine Division Fall Technical Conference, Volume 2: Emissions Control Systems; Instrumentation, Controls, and Hybrids; Numerical Simulation; Engine Design and Mechanical Development ():V002T04A008. doi:10.1115/ICEF2015-1122.
- Kim Jaeheun, Park Hyunwook, Bae Choongsik, Choi Myungsik, Kwak Younghong, Effects of water direct injection on the torque enhancement and fuel consumption reduction of a gasoline engine under high-load conditions, International Journal of Engine Research, Vol 17, Issue 7, pp. 795 - 808, ISSN 1468-0874 doi: 10.1177/1468087415613221. http://journals.sagepub.com/doi/abs/10.1177/1468087415613221
- Berni Fabio, Breda Sebastiano, Lugli Mattia, Cantore Giuseppe, A Numerical Investigation on the Potentials of Water Injection to Increase Knock Resistance and Reduce Fuel Consumption in Highly Downsized GDI Engines, Energy Procedia, Volume 81, 2015, Pages 826-835, ISSN 1876-6102, http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.egypro.2015.12.091.
- Christensen, M. and Johansson, B., "Homogeneous Charge Compression Ignition with Water Injection," SAE Technical Paper 1999-01-0182, 1999, doi:10.4271/1999-01-0182.
- Iwashiro, Y., Tsurushima, T., Nishijima, Y., Asaumi, Y. et al., "Fuel Consumption Improvement and Operation Range Expansion in HCCI by Direct Water Injection," SAE Technical Paper 2002-01-0105, 2002, https://doi.org/10.4271/2002-01-0105.
- Roumeliotis I., Mathioudakis K., Evaluation of water injection effect on compressor and engine performance and operability, Applied Energy, Volume 87, Issue 4, April 2010, Pages 1207-1216, ISSN 0306-2619, http://doi.org/10.1016/j.apenergy.2009.04.039.
- Melton R.B., Lestz S.J., Quillian R.D., Rambie E.J., Direct water injection cooling for military engines and effects on the diesel cycle, Symposium (International) on Combustion, Volume 15, Issue 1, 1975, Pages 1389-1399, ISSN 0082-0784, http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/S0082-0784(75)80398-5.
- Lestz, S., Meyer, W., and Colony, C., "Emissions from a Direct-Cylinder Water-Injected Spark-Ignition Engine," SAE Technical Paper 720113, 1972, doi:10.4271/720113.
- Bedford, F., Rutland, C., Dittrich, P., Raab, A. et al., "Effects of Direct Water Injection on DI Diesel Engine Combustion," SAE Technical Paper 2000-01-2938, 2000, doi:10.4271/2000-01-2938.
- Ma Xiaokang, Zhang Fujun, Han Kai, Zhu Zhenxia, Liu Yangyang, Effects of Intake Manifold Water Injection on Combustion and Emissions of Diesel Engine, Energy Procedia, Volume 61, 2014, Pages 777-781, ISSN 1876-6102, http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.egypro.2014.11.963.
- Mingrui Wei, Sa Nguyen Thanh, Turkson Richard Fiifi, Jinping Liu, Guanlun Guo, Water injection for higher engine performance and lower emissions, Journal of the Energy Institute, Volume 90, Issue 2, April 2017, Pages 285-299, ISSN 1743-9671, http://doi.org/10.1016/j.joei.2015.12.003.
- Rohit, A., Satpathy, S., Choi, J., Hoard, J. et al., "Literature Survey of Water Injection Benefits on Boosted Spark Ignited Engines," SAE Technical Paper 2017-01-0658, 2017, https://doi.org/10.4271/2017-01-0658.
- Wang J, Li J, Wu M, Chen R. Reduction of Nitric Oxide Emission From a SI Engine by Water Injection at the Intake Runner. ASME. ASME International Mechanical Engineering Congress and Exposition, Volume 3: Combustion Science and Engineering ():335-340. doi:10.1115/IMECE2009-12517.