This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Effect of Pilot Diesel Multiple Injections on the Performance and the Emissions of a Diesel/Natural Gas Dual Fuel Heavy-Duty Engine
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 08, 2017 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
For diesel/natural gas dual fuel engines, the combustion of pilot diesel injection plays an important role to subsequent mixture combustion process. To better understand the effects of multiple injections, a detailed study was conducted on a 6-cylinder turbocharged intercooler diesel/natural gas dual fuel heavy-duty engine at low loads. Multiple variables were tested, including the single injection timings, the multiple injections timings and the mass ratios. The investigated results showed that the multiple pilot diesel injections have an obvious effect on not only pilot diesel combustion process but also natural gas mixture combustion process. Early injection leads to a pilot-diesel-ignition-mode and it is a two-stage auto ignition mode. This mode differs from the compression ignition mode of traditional diesel engine in regard to its random occurrence location within the spray. Engine combustion and emissions characteristics, including cylinder pressure, heat release rate, start of combustion (SOC), ignition delay, crank angle of 50% heat release (CA50), nitrogen oxides (NOx) and total hydrocarbon (THC) are examined in this study with completely different variation trends of the multiple injections mode being shown. Overall, a higher thermal efficiency and a lower emission level can be achieved with the multiple injections when compared to the conventional single injection mode.
CitationWang, Z., Shao, M., Li, M., Wang, D. et al., "Effect of Pilot Diesel Multiple Injections on the Performance and the Emissions of a Diesel/Natural Gas Dual Fuel Heavy-Duty Engine," SAE Technical Paper 2017-01-2271, 2017, https://doi.org/10.4271/2017-01-2271.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|[Unnamed Dataset 1]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 2]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 3]|
- Djermouni Mohamed, Ouadha Ahmed, “Thermodynamic analysis of an HCCI engine based system running on natural gas,” Energy Conversion and Management Vol 88: 723-731, 2014.
- Papagiannakis R.G., Hountalas D.T., “Experimental investigation concerning the effect of natural gas percentage on performance and emissions of a DI dual fuel diesel engine,” Applied Thermal Engineering Vol 23: 353-365, 2003.
- Papagiannakis, R., Hountalas, D., and Kotsiopoulos, P., "Experimental and Theoretical Analysis of the Combustion and Pollutants Formation Mechanisms in Dual Fuel DI Diesel Engines," SAE Technical Paper 2005-01-1726, 2005, doi:10.4271/2005-01-1726.
- Ryu Kyunghyun, “Effects of pilot injection pressure on the combustion and emissions characteristics in a diesel engine using biodiesel-CNG dual fuel,” Energy Conversion and Management Vol 76: 506-516, 2013.
- Selim Mohamed Y.E., “Pressure-time characteristics in diesel engine fueled with natural gas,” Renewable Energy Vol 22: 473-489, 2001.
- Sahoo B.B., Sahoo N. and Saha U.K., “Effect of engine parameters and type of gaseous fuel on the performance of dual-fuel gas diesel engines-A critical review,” Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews Vol 13: 1151-1184, 2009.
- Lounici Mohand Said, Loubar Khaled, Tarabet Lyes et al., “Towards improvement of natural gas-diesel dual fuel mode: An experimental investigation on performance and exhaust emissions,” Energy Vol 64: 200-211, 2014
- Abd alla G. H., Soliman H. A., Badr O. A. et al., “Effect of injection timing on the performance of a dual fuel engine,” Energy Conversion and Management Vol 43: 269-277, 2002.
- Papagiannakis R.G., Hountalas D.T. and Rakopoulos C.D., “Theoretical study of the effects of pilot fuel quantity and its injection timing on the performance and emissions of a dual fuel diesel engine,” Energy Conversion and Management Vol 48: 2951-2961, 2007.
- Abdelaal M.M., Hegab A.H., “Combustion and emission characteristics of a natural gas-fueled diesel engine with EGR,” Energy Conversion and Management Vol 64: 301-312, 2012.
- Paykani A., Saray R. Khoshbakhti and Shervani-Tabar M. T., “Effect of exhaust gas recirculation and intake pre-heating on performance and emission characteristics of dual fuel engines at part loads,” J. Cent. South Univ. Vol 19: 1346-1352, 2012.
- Lin, Z. and Su, W., "A Study On the Determination of the Amount of Pilot Injection and Rich and Lean Boundaries of the Pre-Mixed CNG/Air Mixture for a CNG/Diesel Dual-Fuel Engine," SAE Technical Paper 2003-01-0765, 2003, doi:10.4271/2003-01-0765.
- Li Weifeng, Liu Zhongchang and Wang Zhongshu et al., “Experimental and theoretical analysis of effects of equivalence ratio on mixture properties, combustion, thermal efficiency and exhaust emissions of a pilot-ignited NG engine at low loads,” Fuel Vol 171: 125-135, 2016.
- Liu Jie, Yang Fuyuan and Wang Hewu et al., “Effects of pilot fuel quantity on the emissions characteristics of a CNG/diesel dual fuel engine with optimized pilot injection timing,” Applied Energy Vol 110: 201-206, 2013.
- Abd Alla G.H., Soliman H.A., Badr O.A., Abd Rabbo M.F., “Effect of pilot fuel quantity on the performance of a dual fuel engine,” Energy Conversion and Management Vol 41: 559-572, 2000.
- Wang Zhongshu, Zhao Zhongxiang and Wang Dan et al., “Impact of pilot diesel ignition mode on combustion and emissions characteristics of a diesel/natural gas dual fuel heavy-duty engine,” Fuel Vol 167: 248-256, 2016.
- Tanaka Shigeyuki, Ayala Ferran, Keck James C. and Heywood John B., “Two-stage ignition in HCCI combustion and HCCI control by fuels and additives,” Combustion and Flame Vol 132: 219-239, 2003.
- Amjad A.K., Saray R. Khoshbakhi, Mahmoudi S.M.S. and Rahimi A., “Availability analysis of n-heptane and natural gas blends combustion in HCCI engines,” Energy Vol 36: 6900-6909, 2011.
- Kiplimo Robert, Tomita Eiji, Kawahara Nobuyuki and Yokobe Sumito, “Effects of spray impingement, injection parameters, and EGR on the combustion and emission characteristics of a PCCI diesel engine,” Applied Thermal Engineering Vol 37: 165-175, 2012.
- Park Su Han, Kim Hyung Jun and Lee Chang Sik, “Effect of Multiple Injection Strategies on Combustion and Emission Characteristics in a Diesel Engine,” Energy Fuels Vol 30: 810-818, 2016.
- Das Pranab, Subbarao P.M.V. and Subrahmanyam J.P., “Effect of main injection timing for controlling the combustion phasing of a homogeneous charge compression ignition engine using a new dual injection strategy,” Energy Conversion and Management Vol 95: 248-258, 2015.
- Swor, T., Kokjohn, S., Andrie, M., and Reitz, R., "Improving Diesel Engine Performance Using Low and High Pressure Split Injections for Single Heat Release and Two-Stage Combustion," SAE Technical Paper 2010-01-0340, 2010, https://doi.org/10.4271/2010-01-0340.
- Aroonsrisopon, T., Salad, M., Wirojsakunchai, E., Wannatong, K. et al., "Injection Strategies for Operational Improvement of Diesel Dual Fuel Engines under Low Load Conditions," SAE Technical Paper 2009-01-1855, 2009, https://doi.org/10.4271/2009-01-1855.
- Ishiyama, T., Kang, J., Ozawa, Y., and Sako, T., "Improvement of Performance and Reduction of Exhaust Emissions by Pilot-Fuel-Injection Control in a Lean-Burning Natural-Gas Dual-Fuel Engine," SAE Int. J. Fuels Lubr. 5(1):243-253, 2012, https://doi.org/10.4271/2011-01-1963.
- Paykani Amin, Kakaee Amir-Hasan, Rahnama Pourya, Reitz Rolf D., “Effects of diesel injection strategy on natural gas/diesel reactivity controlled compression ignition combustion,” Energy Vol 90: 814-826, 2015.