This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Flame Kernel Growth and Propagation in an Optical Direct Injection Engine Using Laser Ignition
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 08, 2017 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
The demand for more efficient and clean engines have prompted the research and development of new engine technologies. Automotive engines expected to run with leaner mixtures and higher compression ratios. Lean burn is effective to increase fuel economy whilst reducing emissions but unreliable ignition of the lean mixtures by the conventional spark plug is one of the problems which causes concerns to the engine designers. Laser ignition is a promising technology and holds many benefits over the spark ignition because it can extend the ignitability of lean mixtures with flexibility of the ignition location and absence of electrode degradation for improved engine performance with lean burn. In this study, high-speed photography is used to investigate the flame kernel growth and propagation in an optical direct injection engine using laser ignition by an Nd:YAG laser. Coupled with heat release analysis, the results demonstrate that the variations in air-fuel equivalent ratio have considerable influence on the flame kernel growth rate, but compared with spark ignition, the combustion process has reduced initiation time with an overall faster flame propagation speed associated much reduced cyclic variability. It is also revealed that engine performance benefits more in the leaner conditions by using laser ignition compared to stoichiometric or rich conditions. Besides, the influence of laser ignition position is discussed, and the advantage of highly flexible ignition position for laser ignition could be applied to improve engine efficiency.
|Technical Paper||Improved Powertrain Control for an HE-HMMWV|
|Journal Article||Extension of Lean Burn Range by Intake Valve Offset|
|Technical Paper||Methods of Improving Combustion Efficiency in a High-Efficiency, Lean Burn Dual-Fuel Heavy-Duty Engine|
CitationJiang, Y., Bao, X., Sahu, A., Ma, X. et al., "Flame Kernel Growth and Propagation in an Optical Direct Injection Engine Using Laser Ignition," SAE Technical Paper 2017-01-2243, 2017, https://doi.org/10.4271/2017-01-2243.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|[Unnamed Dataset 1]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 2]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 3]|
- Phuoc, T. X., "Laser-Induced Spark Ignition Fundamental and Applications," Optics and Lasers in Engineering 44(5):351-397, 2006.
- Starikovskaia, S. M., "Plasma Assisted Ignition and Combustion," Journal of Physics D 39(16):265-299, 2006.
- Majidi, V. and Joseph, M. R., "Spectroscopic Applications of Laser-Induced Plasmas," Critical Reviews in Analytical Chemistry 23(3):143-162, 2006.
- Srivastava, D. K., Weinrotter, M., Iskra, K., Agarwal, A.K. et al., "Characterisation of Laser Ignition in Hydrogen-air Mixtures in a Combustion Bomb," International Journal of Hydrogen Energy 34(5):2475-2482, 2009.
- Xu, C., Fang, D., Luo, Q., Ma, J. et al., "A Comparative Study of Laser Ignition and Spark Ignition with Gasoline-air Mixtures," Optics and Laser Technology 64:343-351, 2014.
- Ramsden, S. A. and Savic, P., "A Radiative Detonation Model for the Development of a Laser-Induced Spark in Air," Nature 203(4951):1217-1219, 1964.
- Hickling, R. and Smith, W., "Combustion Bomb Tests of Laser Ignition," SAE Technical Paper 740114, 1974, doi:10.4271/740114.
- Bach, G. G., Knystautas, R., and Lee, J. H., "Direct Initiation of Spherical Detonations in Gaseous Explosives," Symposium (international) on Combustion 12(1):853-864, 1969.
- Phuoc, T. X. and White, F. P., "Laser-induced Spark Ignition of CH4/Air Mixtures," Combustion and flame 119:203-216, 1999.
- Koda, S., Shimizu, H., and Koinuma, T., "Laser Ignition of Premixed Methanol/Air on a Slot-Nozzle Burner," Japanese Journal of Applied Physics 28(1):144-146, 1989.
- Bradley, D., Sheppard, C. G., Suardjaja, I. M., and Woolley, R., "Fundamentals of High-Energy Spark Ignition with Lasers," Combustion and Flame 138(1):55-77, 2004.
- Pavel, N., Tsunekane, M., and Taira, T., "Composite, All-Ceramics, High-Peak Power Nd:YAG/Cr 4+ :YAG Monolithic Micro-Laser with Multiple-Beam Output for Engine Ignition," Optics Express 19(10):9378-9384, 2011.
- Srivastava, D. K. and Agarwal, A. K., "Comparative Experimental Evaluation of Performance, Combustion and Emissions of Laser Ignition with Conventional Spark Plug in a Compressed Natural Gas Fuelled Single Cylinder Engine," Fuel 123:113-122, 2014.
- Xu, C., Hu, Y., Li, X., Zhou, X. et al., "Comparative Experimental Study of Ethanol-Air Premixed Laminar Combustion Characteristics by Laser Induced Spark and Electric Spark Ignition," Korean J. Chem. Eng. 34:574-579, 2017.
- Prasad, R., Jain, S., Verma, G., and Agarwal, A. K., "Laser Ignition and Flame Kernel Characterization of HCNG in a Constant Volume Combustion Chamber," Fuel 190:318-327, 2016.
- Endo, T., Takenaka, Y., Sako, Y., Johzaki, T. et al., "An Experimental Study on the Ignition Ability of a Laser-Induced Gaseous Breakdown," Combustion and Flame 178:1-6, 2017.
- Nakaya, S., Iseki, S., Gu, X., and Kobayashi, Y. et al., "Flame Kernel Formation Behaviors in Close Dual-Point Laser Breakdown Spark Ignition for Lean Methane/Air Mixtures," Proceedings of The Combustion Institute 36(3):3441-3449, 2016.
- Srivastava, D. K., Dharamshi, K., and Agarwal, A. K., "Flame Kernel Characterization of Laser Ignition of Natural Gas-Air Mixture in a Constant Volume Combustion Chamber," Optics and Lasers in Engineering 49(9):1201-1209, 2011.
- Weinrotter, M., Kopecek, H., Wintner, E., Lackner, M. et al., "Application of Laser Ignition to Hydrogen-Air Mixtures at High Pressures," International Journal of Hydrogen Energy 30(3):319-326, 2005.
- Dumitrache, C., Baumgardner, M. E., Boissiere, A., Maria, A. et al., "A Study of Laser Induced Ignition of Methane-Air Mixtures inside a Rapid Compression Machine," Proceedings of the Combustion Institute 36(3):3431-3439, 2016.
- Kuang, Z., Lyon, E., Cheng, H., Page, V. et al., "Multi-Location Laser Ignition Using a Spatial Light Modulator towards Improving Automotive Gasoline Engine Performance," Optics and Lasers in Engineering 90:275-283, 2017.
- Pal, A. and Agarwal, A. K., "Effect of Laser Pulse Energy on Laser Ignition of Port Fuel Injected Hydrogen Engine," International Journal of Hydrogen Energy 41(1):675-682, 2016.
- Ma, X., Xu, H., Jiang, C., and Shuai, S., "Ultra-High Speed Imaging and OH-LIF Study of DMF and MF Combustion in a DISI Optical Engine," Applied Energy 122:247-260, 2014.
- Badawy, T., Bao, X., and Xu, H., "Impact of Spark Plug Gap on Flame Kernel Propagation and Engine Performance," Applied Energy 191:311-327, 2017.
- Jiang, C., Ma, X., Xu, H., and Richardson, S., "An Optical Study of DMF and Ethanol Combustion under Dual-Injection Strategy," SAE Technical Paper 2012-01-1237, 2012.
- Ma, X., Wang, Z., Jiang, C., Jiang, Y. et al., "An Optical Study of In-Cylinder CH2O and OH Chemiluminescence in Flame-Induced Reaction Front Propagation Using High Speed Imaging," Fuel 134:603-610, 2014.