This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
A Robust Preignition Rating Methodology: Evaluating the Propensity to Establish Propagating Flames under Real Engine Conditions
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 08, 2017 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
In this work, an experimental and analysis methodology was developed to evaluate the preignition propensity of fuels and engine operating conditions in an SI engine. A heated glow plug was introduced into the combustion chamber to induce early propagating flames. As the temperature of the glowplug varied, both the fraction of cycles experiencing these early flames and the phasing of this combustion in the engine cycle varied. A statistical methodology for assigning a single-value to this complex behavior was developed and found to have very good repeatability. The effects of engine operating conditions and fuels were evaluated using this methodology. While this study is not directly studying the so-called stochastic preignition or low-speed preignition problem, it studies one aspect of that problem in a very controlled manner.
CitationYu, X., Costanzo, V., Chapman, E., and Davis, R., "A Robust Preignition Rating Methodology: Evaluating the Propensity to Establish Propagating Flames under Real Engine Conditions," SAE Technical Paper 2017-01-2241, 2017, https://doi.org/10.4271/2017-01-2241.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|[Unnamed Dataset 1]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 2]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 3]|
- Amann, M., Alger, T., and Mehta, D., "The Effect of EGR on Low-Speed Pre-Ignition in Boosted SI Engines," SAE Int. J. Engines 4(1):235-245, 2011, doi:10.4271/2011-01-0339.
- Amann, M., Mehta, D., and Alger, T., "Engine Operating Condition and Gasoline Fuel Composition Effects on Low-Speed Pre-Ignition in High-Performance Spark Ignited Gasoline Engines," SAE Int. J. Engines 4(1):274-285, 2011, doi:10.4271/2011-01-0342.
- Chapman, E. and Costanzo, V., "A Literature Review of Abnormal Ignition by Fuel and Lubricant Derivatives," SAE Int. J. Engines 9(1):107-142, 2016, doi:10.4271/2015-01-1869.
- Dahnz, C., Han, K., Spicher, U., Magar, M. et al., "Investigations on Pre-Ignition in Highly Supercharged SI Engines," SAE Int. J. Engines 3(1):214-224, 2010, doi:10.4271/2010-01-0355.
- Gohl, M., Brandt, S., Wittler, M., Budde, M. et al., "Influence of the Mixture Formation on the Lubrication Oil Emission of Combustion Engines," SAE Int. J. Fuels Lubr. 3(1):733-744, 2010, doi:10.4271/2010-01-1275.
- Haenel, P., Seyfried, P., Kleeberg, H., and Tomazic, D., "Systematic Approach to Analyze and Characterize Pre-ignition Events in Turbocharged Direct-injected Gasoline Engines," SAE Technical Paper 2011-01-0343, 2011, doi:10.4271/2011-01-0343.
- Inoue, T., Inoue, Y., and Ishikawa, M., "Abnormal Combustion in a Highly Boosted SI Engine - The Occurrence of Super Knock," SAE Technical Paper 2012-01-1141, 2012, doi:10.4271/2012-01-1141.
- Okada, Y., Miyashita, S., Izumi, Y., and Hayakawa, Y., "Study of Low-Speed Pre-Ignition in Boosted Spark Ignition Engine," SAE Int. J. Engines 7(2):584-594, 2014, doi:10.4271/2014-01-1218.
- Qi, Y., Xu, Y., Wang, Z., and Wang, J., "The Effect of Oil Intrusion on Super Knock in Gasoline Engine," SAE Technical Paper 2014-01-1224, 2014, doi:10.4271/2014-01-1224.
- Sasaki, N. and Nakata, K., "Effect of Fuel Components on Engine Abnormal Combustion," SAE Technical Paper 2012-01-1276, 2012, doi:10.4271/2012-01-1276.
- Wang, Z., Liu, H., Song, T., Xu, Y. et al., "Investigation on Pre-ignition and Super-Knock in Highly Boosted Gasoline Direct Injection Engines," SAE Technical Paper 2014-01-1212, 2014, doi:10.4271/2014-01-1212.
- Welling, O., Collings, N., Williams, J., and Moss, J., "Impact of Lubricant Composition on Low-speed Pre-Ignition," SAE Technical Paper 2014-01-1213, 2014, doi:10.4271/2014-01-1213.
- Winklhofer, E., Hirsch, A., Kapus, P., Kortschak, M. et al., "TC GDI Engines at Very High Power Density - Irregular Combustion and Thermal Risk," SAE Technical Paper 2009-24-0056, 2009, doi:10.4271/2009-24-0056.
- Zaccardi, J., Duval, L., and Pagot, A., "Development of Specific Tools for Analysis and Quantification of Pre-ignition in a Boosted SI Engine," SAE Int. J. Engines 2(1):1587-1600, 2009, doi:10.4271/2009-01-1795.
- Zahdeh, A., Rothenberger, P., Nguyen, W., Anbarasu, M. et al., "Fundamental Approach to Investigate Pre-Ignition in Boosted SI Engines," SAE Int. J. Engines 4(1):246-273, 2011, doi:10.4271/2011-01-0340.
- Wang, Z., Qi, Y., Liu, H., Long, Y. et al., "Experimental Study on Pre-Ignition and Super-Knock in Gasoline Engine Combustion with Carbon Particle at Elevated Temperatures and Pressures," SAE Technical Paper 2015-01-0752, 2015, doi:10.4271/2015-01-0752.
- Kalghatgi, G.T. and Bradley D., "Pre-ignition and 'super-knock' in turbo-charged spark-ignition engines," International Journal of Engine Research. 13(4): 399-414, 2012, doi: 10.1177/1468087411431890.
- Radwan, M., Helali, A., Elfeky, S., and Attai, Y., "An Investigation on Knock and Pre-ignition with Tumble Induced Turbulence," SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-3557, 2007, doi:10.4271/2007-01-3557.
- Radwan, M., Elfeky, S., and Abu-Elyazeed, O., "An Investigation on Abnormal Combustion, Emissions and Performance of Novel Jojoba Bio-Gasoline and Its Blends with Gasoline in a Spark-Ignition Engine," SAE Technical Paper 2012-01-1599, 2012, doi:10.4271/2012-01-1599.
- Hamilton, L., Rostedt, M., Caton, P., and Cowart, J., "Pre-Ignition Characteristics of Ethanol and E85 in a Spark Ignition Engine," SAE Int. J. Fuels Lubr. 1(1):145-154, 2009, doi:10.4271/2008-01-0321.
- Sasaki, N., Nakata, K., Kawatake, K., Sagawa, S. et al., "The Effect of Fuel Compounds on Pre-ignition under High Temperature and High Pressure Condition," SAE Technical Paper 2011-01-1984, 2011, doi:10.4271/2011-01-1984.