This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Analyses of Cycle-to-Cycle Variation of Combustion and In-Cylinder Flow in a Port Injection Gasoline Engine Using PIV and PLIF Techniques
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 08, 2017 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
Reduction in the cycle-to-cycle variation (CCV) of combustion in internal combustion engines is required to reduce fuel consumption, exhaust emissions, and improve drivability. CCV increases at low load operations and lean/dilute burn conditions. Specifically, the factors that cause CCV of combustion are the cyclic variations of in-cylinder flow, in-cylinder distributions of fuel concentration, temperature and residual gas, and ignition energy. However, it is difficult to measure and analyze these factors in a production engine. This study used an optically accessible single-cylinder engine in which combustion and optical measurements were performed for 45 consecutive cycles. CCVs of the combustion and in-cylinder phenomena were investigated for the same cycle. Using this optically accessible engine, the volume inside the combustion chamber, including the pent-roof region can be observed through a quartz cylinder. CCV of in-cylinder flow for 45 continuous firing cycles were measured by Time-Resolved Particle Image Velocimetry (TR-PIV) technique. The in-cylinder flow was measured at intervals of 2 crank angle degrees from the intake to compression strokes using a dual-cavity, high-frequency Nd:YLF laser. In order to analyze the CCV, the measured instantaneous flow was converted to a time-averaged flow by low-pass filtering to remove the high-frequency component. Moreover, CCVs of fuel distribution at intake valve closing (IVC) and just before ignition timing were obtained by Planar Laser Induced Fluorescence (PLIF) technique. The fourth harmonic generation of a dual-cavity Nd:YAG laser was used as the excitation light source. 3-Pentanone, which was mixed with iso-octane and injected to the intake port, was used as a PLIF tracer. These two visualization techniques were applied simultaneously during the continuous firing cycles.
As a result, it was confirmed that the CCVs of in-cylinder flow and fuel distribution significantly affect the CCV of combustion at low-load conditions. In particular, flow in a direction opposite to the tumble flow was observed in the lowest load cycle.
CitationHokimoto, S., Kuboyama, T., Moriyoshi, Y., Iida, M. et al., "Analyses of Cycle-to-Cycle Variation of Combustion and In-Cylinder Flow in a Port Injection Gasoline Engine Using PIV and PLIF Techniques," SAE Technical Paper 2017-01-2213, 2017, https://doi.org/10.4271/2017-01-2213.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|Unnamed Dataset 1|
|Unnamed Dataset 2|
|Unnamed Dataset 3|
- Müller , R. , H. , S. , Böhm , B. , Gleiβner , M. , Grzeszik. R. , Arndt , S. , and Dreizler , A. Flow field measurement in an optically accessible, direct-injection spray-guided internal combustion engine using high-speed PIV Experimental Fluids 48 2 281 290 2010
- Gomes , C. , da Costa , R. , Franco , R. , Valle , R. et al. PIV Measurements of In-Cylinder Tumble Flow in a Motored Single Cylinder Optical Research Engine SAE Technical Paper 2015-36-0305 2015 10.4271/2015-36-0305
- Fontanesi , S. , d'Adamo , A. , and Rutland , J. C. Large-Eddy simulation analysis of spark configuration effect on cycle-to-cycle variability of combustion and knock International Journal of Engine Research 16 3 403 418 2015
- Sholes , R., K. , Kawashima , J. , and Mori , S. Analysis of in-cylinder gas flow and its cyclic variability using PIV Journal of Automotive Engineering 36 6 25 30 2005
- Zeng , W. , Sjöberg , M. , and Reuss , D. Using PIV Measurements to Determine the Role of the In-Cylinder Flow Field for Stratified DISI Engine Combustion SAE Int. J. Engines 7 2 615 632 2014 10.4271/2014-01-1237
- Peterson , B. , Reuss , L., D. , and Sick , V. On the ignition and flame development in a spray-duided direct-injection spark-ignition engine Combustion and Flame 161 1 240 255 2014
- Peterson , B. , Reuss , L., D. , and Sick , V. High-speed imaging analysis of misfires in a spray-guided direct injection engine Proceedings on the Combustion Institute 33 2 3089 3096 2011
- Hjelmfelt , A. T. and Mockros , L. F. Motion of discrete particle in a turbulent fluid Applied Science Research 16 149 161 1966
- The Visualization Society of Japan Handbook of Particle Image Velocimetry Morikita Publishing Co., Ltd.
- Kaeane , D., R. and Adrian , J., R. Optimization of particle image velocimeters: II Multiple pulsed systems Measurement Science and Technology 2 963 974 1991
- Modica , V. , Morin , C. , and Guibert , P. 3-Pentanone LIF at elevated temperatures and pressure: measurements and modeling Journal of Applied Physics B 87 1 193 204 2007
- Fujikawa , T. , Hattori , Y. , and Akihama , K. Quantitative 2-D fuel distribution measurements in as SI engine using laser-induced fluorescence with suitable combination of fluorescence tracer and excitation wavelength SAE Technical Paper 972944 1997 10.4271/972944
- Fujikawa , T. , Hattori , Y. , Koike , M. , Akihama , K. , Kobayashi , T. , and Matsushita , S. Quantitave 2-D fuel distribution measurements in a direct-injection gasoline engine using laser-induced fluorescence technique JSME International Journal, Series B 42 4 760 767 1999
- Kim , S. , Yan , Y. , Nouri , M. J. , and Arcoumanis , C. Effects of intake flow and coolant temperature on the spatial fuel distribution in a direct-injection gasoline engine by PLIF technique Fuel 106 737 748 2013
- Koch , D., J. and Hanson , K., R. Temperature and excitation wavelength dependencies of 3-pentanone absorption and fluorescence for PLIF applications Journal of Applied Physics B 76 3 319 324 2003
- Kamimoto , T. , Yagita , M. , Moriyoshi , Y. , Kobayashi , H. , and Morita , H. An experimental study of in-cylinder air flow with a transparent cylinder engine Transactions of the Japan Society of Mechanical Engineering 53 492 2686 2693 1986
- Okura , Y. , Higuchi , K. , Urata , Y. , Someya , S. , and Tanahashi , M. Measurement of in-cylinder turbulence in an internal combustion engine using high speed particle image velocimetry Transactions of the Japan Society of Mechanical Engineering 79 806 319 332 2013
- Williams , B. , Ewart , P. , Wang , X. , Stone , R. et al. Quantitative planar laser-induced fluorescence imaging of multi-component fuel/air mixing in a firing gasoline-direct-injection engine: Effects of residual exhaust gas on quantitative PLIF Combustion and Flame 157 1866 1878 2010