This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
The Effect of Injection Pressure on the NOx Emission Rates in a Heavy-Duty DICI Engine Running on Methanol.
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 08, 2017 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
Heavy-duty direct injection compression ignition (DICI) engine running on methanol is studied at a high compression ratio (CR) of 27. The fuel is injected with a common-rail injector close to the top-dead-center (TDC) with two injection pressures of 800 bar and 1600 bar. Numerical simulations using Reynold Averaged Navier Stokes (RANS), Lagrangian Particle Tracking (LPT), and Well-Stirred-Reactor (WSR) models are employed to investigate local conditions of injection and combustion process to identify the mechanism behind the trend of increasing nitrogen oxides (NOx) emissions at higher injection pressures found in the experiments. It is shown that the numerical simulations successfully replicate the change of ignition delay time and capture variation of NOx emissions. The fuel vapor penetration length before the onset of ignition has been significantly altered at a higher injection pressure, which had an important impact on the high temperature zone and thus on the increased formation rate of NOx emissions.
|Technical Paper||Flame Lift-Off on Direct-Injection Diesel Sprays Under Quiescent Conditions|
|Journal Article||Prospects for High-Temperature Combustion, Neat Alcohol-Fueled Diesel Engines|
CitationPucilowski, M., Jangi, M., Shamun, S., Tuner, M. et al., "The Effect of Injection Pressure on the NOx Emission Rates in a Heavy-Duty DICI Engine Running on Methanol.," SAE Technical Paper 2017-01-2194, 2017, https://doi.org/10.4271/2017-01-2194.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|Unnamed Dataset 1|
|Unnamed Dataset 2|
|Unnamed Dataset 3|
|Unnamed Dataset 4|
- Zhen , X. and Wang , Y. An overview of methanol as an internal combustion engine fuel Renew. Sustain. Energy Rev. 52 477 493 2015 10.1016/j.rser.2015.07.083
- Olah , G.A. , Goeppert , A. , and Prakash , G.K.S. Beyond Oil and Gas: The Methanol Economy Wiley 9783527324224 2009
- Svensson , E. , Li , C. , Shamun , S. , Johansson , B. et al. Potential Levels of Soot, NOx, HC and CO for Methanol Combustion SAE Technical Paper 2016-01-0887 2016 10.4271/2016-01-0887
- Shamun , S. , Shen , M. , Johansson , B. , Tuner , M. et al. Exhaust PM Emissions Analysis of Alcohol Fueled Heavy-Duty Engine Utilizing PPC SAE Int. J. Engines 9 4 2142 2152 2016 10.4271/2016-01-2288
- Shamun , S. , Tunér , M. , Hasimoglu , C. , Murack , A. , Tunestål , P. , and Andersson , Ö. Investigation of methanol CI combustion in a high compression ratio HD engine using a box-behnken design Submitt. to Fuel 2017
- Jangi , M. and Bai , X.-S. Multidimensional chemistry coordinate mapping approach for combustion modelling with finite-rate chemistry Combust. Theory Model. 16 6 1109 1132 2012 10.1080/13647830.2012.713518
- Klippenstein , S.J. , Harding , L.B. , Davis , M.J. , Tomlin , A.S. , and Skodje , R.T. Uncertainty driven theoretical kinetics studies for CH3OH ignition: HO2 + CH3OH and O2 + CH3OH Proc. Combust. Inst. 33 1 351 357 2011 10.1016/j.proci.2010.05.066
- Pucilowski , M. , Jangi , M. , Shamun , S. , Li , C. et al. Effect of Start of Injection on the Combustion Characteristics in a Heavy-Duty DICI Engine Running on Methanol SAE Technical Paper 2017-01-0560 2017 10.4271/2017-01-0560
- Kösters , A. , Karlsson , A. , Oevermann , M. , D’Errico , G. , and Lucchini , T. RANS predictions of turbulent diffusion flames: comparison of a reactor and a flamelet combustion model to the well stirred approach Combust. Theory Model. 19 1 81 106 2015 10.1080/13647830.2014.982342
- D’Errico , G. , Lucchini , T. , Contino , F. , Jangi , M. , and Bai , X.-S. Comparison of well-mixed and multiple representative interactive flamelet approaches for diesel spray combustion modelling Combust. Theory Model. 18 1 65 88 2014 10.1080/13647830.2013.860238
- Jangi , M. , Lucchini , T. , Gong , C. , and Bai , X.-S. Effects of fuel cetane number on the structure of diesel spray combustion: An accelerated Eulerian stochastic fields method Combust. Theory Model. 7830 July 2015 1 19 2015 10.1080/13647830.2015.1057234
- Jangi , M. , Li , C. , Shamun , S. , Tuner , M. , and Bai , X.S. Modelling of Methanol Combustion in a Direct Injection Compression Ignition Engine using an Accelerated Stochastic Fields Method Energy Procedia 1326 1331 2017 10.1016/j.egypro.2017.03.482
- Dec , J. and Coy , E. OH Radical Imaging in a DI Diesel Engine and the Structure of the Early Diffusion Flame SAE Technical Paper 960831 1996 10.4271/960831