This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Application of Solid State Welding and Superplastic Forming to Aerospace Vehicles
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 19, 2017 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
In this paper, manufacturing of launcher structural components with superplastic forming (SPF) and solid state welding technologies is presented with several examples. Some of high strength aerospace alloys, like aluminum, titanium and superalloys, are known to have superplasticity so that complex shapes of aerospace components can be produced with this technology. A combination of superplastic forming and solid state welding processes produces lighter and stiffer components than one manufactured with conventional machining and welding. Solid state welding is an attractive method to weld materials without melting where mechanical properties are important since the welding interface is homogeneous without liquid phases. The results includes aluminum and titanium tanks cryogenic application, a scaled combustion chamber with duplex stainless steel and copper alloy, and lightweight aluminum-copper-lithium cylinder manufactured by superplastic forming and diffusion bonding or friction stir welding.
CitationLee, H., "Application of Solid State Welding and Superplastic Forming to Aerospace Vehicles," SAE Technical Paper 2017-01-2148, 2017, https://doi.org/10.4271/2017-01-2148.
- Mukherjee , A. K. Deformation Mechanisms in Superplasticity Annual Reviews of Materials Science Huggins R. A. 9 1979 191 217
- Mukherjee , A. K. , Bird , J. E. , and Dorn , J. E. Experimental Correlations for High-Temperature Creep Transactions of ASM 62 1969 155 179
- Jovane , F. Int. J. Mech. Sci. 10 1968 403 427
- NASA Facts, FS-2008-05-86-MSFC
- Lee , H. S. et. al. Int. J. of Machines Technologies Materials 10 2014 28 30
- Lee , H. S. et. al. Applied Mechanics and Materials 302 2013 136 139
- Kaibyshev , O.A. Superplasticity of Alloys, Intermetallides and Ceramics Springer-Verlag 1992 188 198
- Usacheva , L.V. , Besplokhotny , G.P. , Peshkov , V.V. , Petrenko , V.R. Svar. Proiz. 57 2004 11
- Lee , H. S. , Yoon , J. H. , Yi , Y. M. , and Shin , D. H. Key Eng. Mat. 345-346 2007 549 552
- Kruglov , A. A. , Enikeev , F. U. , and Lutfullin , R. Y. Mat. Sci. & Eng. A323 2002 416
- Lee , H. S. , Yoon , J. H. , and Yoo , J. T. Key Eng. Mat. 324-325 2006 551 554
- Lee , H. S. , Yoon , J. H. , and Yoo , J. T. Advanced Materials Research 228-229 2011 666 671
- Lee , H. S. , Yoon , J. H. , and Yoo , J. T. Applied Mechanics and Materials 87 2011 132 135
- Kazakov , N.F. Bonding of copper and copper alloys to steel, Diffusion Bonding of Materials 1st Mir Publishers Moscow 1981 162 164
- Xiong , J.T. , Xie Q. , Li J.J. , Zhang F.S. , Huang W.D. Diffusion bonding of stainless steel to copper with tin bronze and gold interface Journal of Materials Engineering and Performance 21 2012 33 37
- Sabetghadam , H. , Hanzaki A.Z. , Araee A. , and Hadian A. Microstructural evaluation of 410 SS/Cu diffusion bonded joint Journal of Materials Science and Technology 20 2010 163 169
- Lee , H. S. Diffusion bonding of metal alloys in aerospace and other applications Welding and Joining of Aerospace Materials Chaturvedi M. C. 2012 Woodhead Publishing Limited Cambridge, UK
- Lee , H. S. , Yoon , J. H. , and Yoo , J. T. Materialwissenschaft und Werkstofftechnik 42 2011 985 989
- Lee , H. S. , Yoon , J. H. , and Yoo , J. T. Advances in Engineering Research 93 2016 1 5
- Lee , H. S. An Experimental study on Superplastic Hemispherical Forming of Aluminum Lithium 2195 Alloy International Conference on Manufacturing Technologies January 19-21 San Diego, U.S.A.
- Lee , H. S. A Study on Superplastic Forming and Friction Stir Welding of Aluminum Alloy 2195 10th International Conference on Aluminum2000 June 20-24, 2017 Italy
- Defalco , J. Welding Journal 85 2006 42 45
- Wittmann , R. J. , Pires , P. C. , and Brandi , S. D. Friction Stir Welding-Overview and Perspectives Proceedings of 17th International Congress of Mechanical Engineering November 10-14, 2003 San Paulo, Brazil
- Mononen , J. , Siren , M. , and Hanninen , H. Welding in the World 47 2003 32 35
- Chodhuri , B. , Durgaprasad , K. , Debbarma , S. , Majumder , A. , and Saha , S. C. International Journal of Mechanical and Production Engineering 2 1 8
- Lee , H. S. Key Engineering Materials 707 2016 148 153