This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
On-Line Non-Destructive Measurement for Interference-Fit Riveting Based on Force-Deformation Data Analysis
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 19, 2017 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
Interference-fit riveting is a critical fastening technique in the field of aerospace assembly. The fatigue and sealing performance of the rivet joint are determined by the interference-fit level of the rivet joint. As a result, it is of great importance to measure the interference-fit level accurately and effectively. Conventional interference-fit level measurement methods can be divided into direct measurement (destructive test on test-piece) and indirect measurement (off-line dimensional measurement of upset rivet head). Both methods cannot be utilized in automatic riveting. In this paper, an on-line non-destructive measurement method is developed to measure the interference-fit level. By taking full advantage of servo-driving riveting integrated with force measurement, the force-deformation data of the deformed rivet can be obtained in real time. The recognized feature points from the force-deformation data can reflect the height of the upset rivet head. An algorithm to calculate the diameter of the upset rivet head based on the recorded maximum riveting force is developed. So as to obtain the volume of the upset rivet head. Thereafter, the volume of the rivet shank in hole can be obtained, and the interference-fit level of the rivet joint can be calculated online due to the law of volume constancy. More importantly, to realize real time calculation, an on-line data processing software in C++ program language is developed and integrated into the HMI software of the control system. At last, both finite element simulation and riveting experiment are conducted to validate the feasibility and effectiveness of the proposed methodology.
CitationZhang, Y., Bi, Q., Huang, N., Yu, L. et al., "On-Line Non-Destructive Measurement for Interference-Fit Riveting Based on Force-Deformation Data Analysis," SAE Technical Paper 2017-01-2072, 2017, https://doi.org/10.4271/2017-01-2072.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|[Unnamed Dataset 1]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 2]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 3]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 4]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 5]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 6]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 7]|
- Chakherlou, T., Mirzajanzadeh, M., Abazadeh, B., Saeedi, K., “An investigation about interference fit effect on improving fatigue life of a holed single plate in joints,”. European Journal of Mechanics - A/Solids. 29: 675-682, 2010, doi:10.1016/j.euromechsol.2009.12.009
- Liu, L., Li, X., Wang, Z., Li, W., “Semi-empirical research on automatic drilling and riveting process of headless rivet,” Journal of Northwestern Polytechnical University. 31(2): 77-82, 2013.
- Bi, Y., Jiang, J., Ke, Y., “Effect of interference fit size on local stress in single lap bolted joints,” Advances in Mechanical Engineering. 7(6): 1-12, 2015, doi:10.1177/1687814015590307
- Chang, Z., Wang, Z., Zhang, J., Yang, Y, Kang, Y., “Investigation of Riveting Parameters Influence on the Riveted Joints Deformation during Slug Rivet Installation,” ASME 2016 International Mechanical Engineering Congress and Exposition. American Society of Mechanical Engineers. 2016: V002T02A027, 2016, doi:10.1115/IMECE2016-66618
- Müller R., “An experimental and analytical investigation on the fatigue behaviour of fuselage rivet joints: the significance of the rivet squeeze force and a comparison of 2024-T3 and Glare 3,” Ph.D. thesis, Delft University of Technology, 1995.
- Zeng, C., Tian, W., Liao, W., “Improved Model Concerning Driven Rivet Head Dimensions Based on Material Flow Characteristics,” Journal of Aircraft. 53(4): 1179-1184, 2016, doi:10.2514/1.C033551
- Liang K., “Interference calculation and process validation of aircraft panel riveted structure,” Master thesis, Nanjing University of Aeronautics and Astronautics, 2013. [in Chinese]
- Zhang, K., Cheng, H., Li, Y., “Riveting process modeling and simulating for deformation analysis of aircraft’s thin-walled sheet-metal parts,” Chinese Journal of Aeronautics. 24: 369-377, 2011, doi:10.1016/S1000-9361(11)60044-7
- Zeng, C., Liao, W., Tian, W., “Influence of initial fit tolerance and squeeze force on the residual stress in a riveted lap joint,” The International Journal of Advanced Manufacturing Technology. 81(9): 1643-1656, 2015, doi:10.1007/s00170-015-7235-7
- Zeng, C., Tian, W., Liao, W., “The effect of residual stress due to interference fit on the fatigue behavior of a fastener hole with edge cracks,” Engineering Failure Analysis. 66: 72-87, 2016, doi:10.1016/j.engfailanal.2016.04.012
- Sun, Y., Hu, W., Shen, F., Meng, Q. et al., “Numerical simulations of the fatigue damage evolution at a fastener hole treated by cold expansion or with interference fit pin,” International Journal of Mechanical Sciences. 107: 188-200, 2016, doi:10.1016/j.ijmecsci.2016.01.015
- Li Y., “Principles of metal forming,” (Beijing, China Machine Press, 2004), ISBN 7-111-14330-2. [in Chinese]
- Chakherlou, T., Mirzajanzadeh, M., Vogwell, J., “Experimental and numerical investigations into the effect of an interference fit on the fatigue life of double shear lap joints,” Engineering Failure Analysis. 16: 2066-2080, 2009, doi:10.1016/j.engfailanal.2009.01.009
- Blanchot, V., Daidie, A., “Riveted assembly modelling: Study and numerical characterisation of a riveting process,” Journal of Materials Processing Technology. 180: 201-209, 2006, doi:10.1016/j.jmatprotec.2006.06.005