This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Measuring the Thermal Resistance of a Vapor Envelope
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 19, 2017 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
A Vapor Envelope is an ultra-thin-walled vapor chamber that enables a unique combination of lighter weight, lower profile, and lower cost for heat spreading or heat removal applications. It evolved from work done as part of a DARPA program on Thermal Ground Planes. This paper examines a published testing protocol for the measurement of the thermal resistance of thin flexible thermal ground planes. It then applies an adapted version of the published technique to measure the thermal resistance of a vapor envelope and a dimensionally equivalent solid copper heat spreader. Finally, it looks at the implications of a significantly lower thermal resistance for a specific configuration. The analysis of whether this adapted technique would provide a sufficient metric for industrial application identified the control and understanding of the thermal interface materials as a key determinate. A comparison of the measured thermal resistances of the vapor envelope and copper, for this configuration, demonstrated significantly lower heat source temperatures resulting from significantly lower thermal resistances in the vapor envelope at higher power input levels. It also demonstrated the complex behavior of the vapor envelope with its thermal resistance varying with power input levels.
CitationStrehlow, R., "Measuring the Thermal Resistance of a Vapor Envelope," SAE Technical Paper 2017-01-2038, 2017, https://doi.org/10.4271/2017-01-2038.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|Unnamed Dataset 1
|Unnamed Dataset 2
- ASTM International Standard Test Method for Thermal Conductivity of Solids Using the Guarded-Comparative-Longitudinal Heat Flow Technique ASTM Standard E1225 2013
- Oshman , C. , Li , Q. , Liew , L. , Yang , R. et al. Flat Flexible Polymer Heat Pipes Journal of Micromechanics and Microengineering 2013-01-001 2013 10.1088/0960-1317/23/1/015001
- Lewis , R. , Xu , S. , Liew , L. , Coolidge , C. et al. Thin Flexible Thermal Ground Plane: Fabrication and Scaling Characterization Journal of Microelectromechanical Systems 24 6 December 2015 10.1109/JMEMS.2015.2466540
- Bergquist Company, Inc. Thermal Materials http://www.bergquistcompany.com/thermal_materials/sil_pad/sil-pad-1500st.htm April 2017
- Minco Products, Inc. All Polyimide Heaters http://www.minco.com/Products/Heat/AllPolyimide April 2017
- ASM International Metals Handbook 2 Tenth The Materials Information Society Oct. 1990 103 0-87170-378-5