This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Path-Tracking Controller Design for a 4WIS and 4WID Electric Vehicle with Steer-by-Wire System
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 23, 2017 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
Path tracking is the rudimentary capability and primary task for autonomous ground vehicles (AGVs). In this paper, a novel four-wheel-independent-steering (4WIS) and four-wheel-independent-drive (4WID) electric vehicle (EV) is proposed which is equipped with steer-by-wire (SBW) system. For path-tracking controller design, the nonlinear vehicle model with 2 degrees of freedom (DOF) is built utilizing the nonlinear Dugoff tire model. The nonlinear dynamic model of SBW system is conducted as well considering the external disturbances. As to the path-tracking controller design, an integrated four-wheel steering (4WS) and direct yaw-moment control (DYC) system is designed based on the model predictive control (MPC) algorithm to track the target path described by desired yaw angle and lateral displacement. Then, the fast terminal sliding mode controller (FTSMC) is proposed for the SBW system to suppress disturbances. The control allocation algorithm of DYC is realized by weighted least square (WLS). To evaluate the performance of the designed controller, numerical simulations of two maneuvers are carried out using a high-fidelity and full-vehicle model via CarSim-Simulink platform. Simulation results show that the integrated 4WS+DYC controller has better path-tracking performance than other controllers, and it has strong robust performance against parametric perturbations, i.e. the road adhesion coefficient and vehicle longitudinal velocity.
CitationHang, P., Chen, X., and Luo, F., "Path-Tracking Controller Design for a 4WIS and 4WID Electric Vehicle with Steer-by-Wire System," SAE Technical Paper 2017-01-1954, 2017, https://doi.org/10.4271/2017-01-1954.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|Unnamed Dataset 1|
|Unnamed Dataset 2|
- Hu , C. , Wang , R. , Yan , F. and Chen , N. Should the Desired Heading in Path Following of Autonomous Vehicles be the Tangent Direction of the Desired Path? IEEE Transactions on Intelligent Transportation Systems 16 6 1 11 2015 10.1109/TITS.2015.2435016
- Salehpour , S. , Pourasad , Y. and Taheri , S. H. Vehicle Path Tracking by Integrated Chassis Control Journal of Central South University 22 4 1378 1388 2015 10.1007/s11771-015-2655-y
- Tchenderli-Braham , S. A. , Hamerlain , F. and Saadia , N. Experimentations on the Adaptive Sliding Mode Control for a Trajectory Tracking Applied on a Bi-steerable Car International Journal of Vehicle Design 69 1-4 285 303 2015 10.1504/IJVD.2015.073127
- Wang , R. , Jing , H. , Hu , C. , Yan , F. et al. Robust H ∞ Path Following Control for Autonomous Ground Vehicles With Delay and Data Dropout IEEE Transactions on Intelligent Transportation Systems 17 7 2042 2050 2016 10.1109/TITS.2015.2498157
- Yu , H. , Duan , J. , Taheri , S. , Cheng , H. et al. A Model Predictive Control Approach Combined Unscented Kalman Filter Vehicle State Estimation in Intelligent Vehicle Trajectory Tracking Advances in Mechanical Engineering 7 5 1 14 2015 10.1177/1687814015578361
- Kim , E. , Kim , J. and Sunwoo , M. Model Predictive Control Strategy for Smooth Path Tracking of Autonomous Vehicles with Steering Actuator Dynamics International Journal of Automotive Technology 15 7 1155 1164 2014 10.1007/s12239-014-0120-9
- Goodarzi , A. , Sabooteh , A. and Esmailzadeh , E. Automatic Path Control Based on Integrated Steering and External Yaw-moment Control Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers Part K Journal of Multi-body Dynamics 222 2 189 200 2008 10.1243/14644193JMBD120
- Mashadi , B. , Ahmadizadeh , P. , and Majidi , M. Integrated Controller Design for Path Following in Autonomous Vehicles SAE Technical Paper 2011-01-1032 2011 10.4271/2011-01-1032
- Hiraoka , T. , Nishihara , O. and Kumamoto , H. Automatic Path-tracking Controller of a Four-wheel steering Vehicle Vehicle System Dynamics 47 10 1205 1227 2009 10.1080/00423110802545919
- Hu , C. , Wang , R. and Yan , F. Integral Sliding Mode-based Composite Nonlinear Feedback Control for Path Following of Four-Wheel Independently Actuated Autonomous Vehicles IEEE Transactions on Transportation Electrification 2 2 221 230 2016 10.1109/TTE.2016.2537046
- Mashadi , B. , Ahmadizadeh , P. , Majidi , M. and Mahmoodi-Kaleybar , M. Integrated Robust Controller for Vehicle Path Following Multibody System Dynamics 33 2 207 228 2015 10.1007/s11044-014-9409-8
- Yakub , F. , Abu , A. , Sarip , S. and Mori , Y. Study of Model Predictive Control for Path-Following Autonomous Ground Vehicle Control under Crosswind Effect Journal of Control Science and Engineering 2016 1 18 2016 10.1155/2016/6752671
- Hang , P. , Chen , X. , Luo , F. , and Fang , S. Robust Control of a Four-Wheel-Independent-Steering Electric Vehicle for Path Tracking SAE Int. J. Veh. Dyn., Stab., and NVH 1 2 307 316 2017 10.4271/2017-01-1584
- Hang , P. , Chen , X. , Fang , S. and Luo , F. Robust Control for Four-Wheel-Independent-Steering Electric Vehicle with Steer-by-Wire System International Journal of Automotive Technology 18 5 785 797 2017 10.1007/s12239-017-0078-5