This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Effects of Boundary Conditions and Inflation Pressure on the Natural Frequencies and 3D Mode Shapes of a Tire
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published June 05, 2017 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
Tires are one of the major sources of noise and vibration in vehicles. The vibration characteristic of a tire depends on its resonant frequencies and mode shapes. Hence, it is desirable to study how different parameters affect the characteristics of tires. In the current paper, experimental modal tests are performed on a tire in free-free and fixed conditions. To obtain the mode shapes and the natural frequencies, the tire is excited using a mechanical shaker and the response of the tire to the excitation is measured using three roving tri-axial accelerometers. The mode shapes and resonant frequencies of the tire are extracted using LMS PolyMax modal analysis. The obtained mode shapes in the two configurations are compared using Modal Assurance Criterion (MAC) to show how mode shapes of tires change when the tire is moved from a free-free configuration to a fixed configuration. It is shown that some modes of the tire are more sensitive to boundary conditions. Furthermore, the effects of inflation pressures on the resonant frequencies and mode shapes of the tire are studied by varying the pressure of the tire and measuring the change in modes of the tire.
CitationPatil, K., Baqersad, J., and Bastiaan, J., "Effects of Boundary Conditions and Inflation Pressure on the Natural Frequencies and 3D Mode Shapes of a Tire," SAE Technical Paper 2017-01-1905, 2017, https://doi.org/10.4271/2017-01-1905.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|Unnamed Dataset 1|
|Unnamed Dataset 2|
|Unnamed Dataset 3|
- Avitabile , P. , Singhal , R. , Peeters , B. , and Leuridan , J. Modal parameter estimation for large, complicated MIMO tests Sound and Vibration 2006 40 1 14
- Ruggiero , E.J. , Park , G. , and Inman , D.J. Multi-input multi-output vibration testing of an inflatable torus Mechanical Systems and Signal Processing 2004 18 5 1187 1201
- Baqersad , J. , Poozesh , P. , Niezrecki , C. , and Avitabile , P. Comparison of modal parameters extracted using MIMO, SIMO, and impact hammer tests on a three-bladed wind Turbine Topics in Modal Analysis II 8 2014 Springer 185 197
- Paquette , J. , Laird , D. , Griffith , D.T. , and Rip , L. Modeling and testing of 9m research blades 44th AIAA aerospace sciences meeting 2006
- Baqersad , J. , Niezrecki , C. , Avitabile , P. , and Slattery , M. Dynamic characterization of a free-free wind turbine blade assembly Special Topics in Structural Dynamics 6 2013 Springer 303 312
- Obando , S.E. , Baqersad , J. , and Avitabile , P. Improved Modal Characterization Using Hybrid Data Sound and Vibration 2014 48 6 8 12
- Hodaei , M. , Marzbanrad , J. , and Poozesh , P. Measurement of Noise Emission by Tyre of Passenger’s Car Third International Conference on Modeling, Simulation and Applied Optimization 2009 Sharjah, U.A.E.
- Mohameda , Z. and Wang , X. A deterministic and statistical energy analysis of tyre cavity resonance noise Mechanical Systems and Signal Processing 2016 70-71 947 957 10.1016/j.ymssp.2015.09.012
- Pinnington , R.J. and Briscoe , A.R. A Wave Model for a Pneumatic Tyre Belt Journal of Sound and Vibration 2002 253 5 941 959 10.1006/jsvi.2001.3944
- Saemann , E. , Ropers , C. , Morkholt , J. , and Omrani , A. Identification of Tire Vibrations SAE Technical Paper 2003-01-1528 2003 10.4271/2003-01-1528
- Kindt , P. , Sas , P. , and Desmet , W. Three-dimensional Ring Model for the Prediction of the Tyre Structural Dynamic Behaviour Proceedings of ISMA 2008 conference 2008 Leuven, Belgium
- Chittilla , K. , Yeola , Y. , Tiwari , A. , and Rajamanickam , R. Effect of Excitation Methods on Experimental Modal Analysis of Passenger Car Tire SAE Technical Paper 2013-01-2854 2013 10.4271/2013-01-2854
- Gipser , M. FTire, a New Fast Tire Model for Ride Comfort Simulations International ADAMS User Conference Berlin
- Peter , K. , Filip , D.C. , Paul , S. , and Wim , D. Experimental Modal Analysis of Radial Tires and the Influence of Tire Modes on Vehicle Structure Borne Noise 31st FISITA 2006, Word Automotive Congress Yokohama, Japan Oct 22-27, 2006 2006
- Matsubara , M. , Tajiri , D. , Horiuchi , M. , and Kawamura , S. Evaluation of Spring Properties of Tire Sidewall under Changes in Inflation Pressure SAE Int. J. Passeng. Cars - Mech. Syst. 8 3 825 833 2015 10.4271/2015-01-2193
- Wheeler , R. , Dorfi , H. , and Keum , B. Vibration Modes of Radial Tires: Measurement, Prediction, and Categorization Under Different Boundary and Operating Conditions SAE Technical Paper 2005-01-2523 2005 10.4271/2005-01-2523
- Guan , D.H. , Yam , L.H. , Mignolet , M.P. , and Li , Y.Y. Experimental Modal Analysis of Tires Society for Experimental Mechancis 2000 24 6 39 45
- Allemang , R.J. and Brown , D.L. A Correlation Coefficient for Modal Vector Analysis Proceedings, International Modal Analysis Conference 1982 110 116
- Miroslav , P. , Michal , B. , and Tomáš , H. Modal Assurance Criterion Procedia Engineering 2012 48 543 548 10.1016/j.proeng.2012.09.551
- Persson , N. , Gustafsson , F. , and Drevö , M. Indirect Tire Pressure Monitoring Using Sensor Fusion SAE Technical Paper 2002-01-1250 2002 10.4271/2002-01-1250
- Varghese , A. Influence of Tyre Inflation Pressure on Fuel Consumption, Vehicle Handling and Ride Quality Department of Applied Mechanics 2013 Chalmers University of Technology Göteborg, Sweden 2013