This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
A Subjective Evaluation Method for Sound Insulation of Vehicle Body in Reverberation Room and an Objective Prediction Model
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published June 05, 2017 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
A subjective evaluation method for the air-borne sound insulation of vehicle body in reverberation room is developed and the correlation between the subjective preference and objective noise reduction level (NRL) is investigated in this paper. The stationary vehicle's interior noise is recorded by using a digital artificial head under a given white noise excitation in the reverberation room, which demonstrates more credible than those in traditional road test methods. The recorded noises of six different vehicles are replayed and evaluated subjectively by 22 appraisers in a sound quality room. The paired comparison scoring method is employed and the check and statistic methods for the subjective scores are introduced. The subjective preference is introduced and calculated by the statistics and normalization of the effective scores, which can indicate an overall preference ranking of all the six vehicles numerically. Furthermore, an objective prediction model is established based on the correlation analyses and linear regressions. The subjective preference is proved to be attributed to the average NRL in 2k-5kHz frequency range only. The subjective evaluation method and the prediction model provide the guidance for the evaluation, prediction, target setting and optimization of the vehicle sound insulation.
- Siwen Zhang - Chongqing Changan Automobile Co., Ltd.
- Jian Pang - Chongqing Changan Automobile Co., Ltd.
- Jun Zhang - Chongqing Changan Automobile Co., Ltd.
- Zhuangzhuang Ma - Chongqing Changan Automobile Co., Ltd.
- Xiaoxuan Zhang - Chongqing Changan Automobile Co., Ltd.
- Congguang Liu - Chongqing Changan Automobile Co., Ltd.
- Lihui Deng - Chongqing Changan Automobile Co., Ltd.
CitationZhang, S., Pang, J., Zhang, J., Ma, Z. et al., "A Subjective Evaluation Method for Sound Insulation of Vehicle Body in Reverberation Room and an Objective Prediction Model," SAE Technical Paper 2017-01-1886, 2017, https://doi.org/10.4271/2017-01-1886.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|[Unnamed Dataset 1]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 2]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 3]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 4]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 5]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 6]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 7]|
- Schneider, M., Wilhelm, M., and Alt, N., "Development of Vehicle Sound Quality - Targets and Methods," SAE Technical Paper 951283, 1995, doi:10.4271/951283.
- Otto, N., Amman, S., Eaton, C., and Lake, S., "Guidelines for Jury Evaluations of Automotive Sounds," SAE Technical Paper 1999-01-1822, 1999, doi:10.4271/1999-01-1822.
- Noumura, K. and Yoshida, J., "Perception Modeling and Quantification of Sound Quality in Cabin," SAE Technical Paper 2003-01-1514, 2003, doi:10.4271/2003-01-1514.
- Pietila, G., Jay, G., and Frank, E., "Evaluation of Different Vehicle Noise Reduction Test Methods for Tire Sound Quality Synthesis," SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-2252, 2007, doi:10.4271/2007-01-2252.
- Gossler, J., "NVH Benchmarking During Vehicle Development Using Sound Quality Metrics," University of Stellenbosch, 2007.
- Allman-Warda M., Williamsb R., Dunnec G. and Jennings, P., "The evaluation of vehicle sound quality using an NVH simulator," Proceedings of The 33rd International Congress and Exposition on Noise Control Engineering, 20-25 August 2004.
- Kolano, R., Abhyankar, S., and Martin, T., "Restoring and Upgrading of a Ford Motor Company Reverberation Room Test Suite," SAE Technical Paper 2013-01-1960, 2013, doi:10.4271/2013-01-1960.
- ASTM International, "Standard Test Method for Laboratory Measurement of Airborne Sound Transmission Loss of Building Partitions and Elements," ASTM Standard Designation E90-09, Aug. 2009.
- HEAD acoustics, "Binaural Measurement, Analysis and Playback," HEAD acoustics Application Note, http://www.head-acoustics.de/eng/nvh_hsu_III_3.htm.
- Hussain, M., Gölles, J., Ronacher, A., and Schiffbänker, H., "Statistical Evaluation of an Annoyance Index for Engine Noise Recordings," SAE Technical Paper 911080, 1991, doi:10.4271/911080.
- Parizet, E., "Paired comparison listening tests and circular error rates," Acta Acustica united with Acustica. 88:594-598, 2002, https://hal.archives-ouvertes.fr/hal-00849430.
- Shi, Y., Shu, G. and Bi, F., "Sound Quality Evaluation and Prediction of Vehicle Exhaust Noise," Journal of Tianjin University. 44(6): 511-555, 2011.
- Pang, J., Shen, G. and He, H., Automotive Noise and Vibration -Principle and Application [M], Beijing: Beijing Institute of Technology Press. 2006.
- Pyper, J., "Use of PVB in Laminated Side Glass for Passenger Vehicle Interior Noise Reduction," SAE Technical Paper 2000-01-2728, 2000, doi:10.4271/2000-01-2728.
- The Pennsylvania State University, "Regression Methods," STAT 501 online course materials website, Chapter 10.3, https://onlinecourses.science.psu.edu/stat501/node/330.