This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Lyon Statistical Mode Shape Functions
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published June 05, 2017 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
From 1983 to 1995, Richard H. Lyon published several papers on Statistical Phase Analysis, showing that the average phase of the transfer functions in complex systems grows with frequency in proportion to the modal density of the system. In one dimensional systems this phase growth is the same as that of freely propagating waves. However, in two and three dimensional systems this phase growth is much larger than the corresponding freely propagating wave. Recent work has shown that these phase growth functions can be used as mode shape functions in discrete system models to obtain results consistent with Statistical Energy Analysis. This paper reviews these results and proposes naming the statistical mode shape functions in honor of Lyon.
CitationDeJong, R., "Lyon Statistical Mode Shape Functions," SAE Technical Paper 2017-01-1848, 2017, https://doi.org/10.4271/2017-01-1848.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|[Unnamed Dataset 1]|
- DeJong, R.G., “Vibrational Energy Transfer in a Diesel Engine,” M.I.T. Doctoral Thesis, 1977.
- Ordubadi, A., “Component and Fault Identification in a Machine Structure Using an Acoustic Signal,” M.I.T. Doctoral Thesis, 1980.
- Slack, J.W., “Piston Slap Noise in Diesel Engines,” M.I.T. Doctoral Thesis, 1982.
- Lyon, R.H., “Progressive Phase Trends in Multi-Degree-of- Freedom Systems,” J. Acoust. Soc. Am. 73:1223, 1983, doi:10.1121/1.389269.
- Lyon, R.H., “Range and Frequency Dependence of Transfer Function Phase,” J. Acoust. Soc. Am. 76:1433, 1984, doi:10.1121/1.391426.
- Lyon, R.H., “Representation of System Response Using Expansions of Hermite and Beranek Functions,” J. Acoust. Soc. Am. 79:1850, 1986, doi:10.1121/1.393193.
- Lyon, R.H., Machinery Noise and Diagnostics, Butterworth Publishers, Stoneham, MA, 1986.
- DeJong, R., "Dynamic Element Analysis," SAE Technical Paper 2005-01-2326, 2005, doi:10.4271/2005-01-2326.
- Lu, L., Hawkins, W., and DeJong, R., "A New Tool for Ship-Marine Machinery Noise Analysis," SAE Technical Paper 2009-01-2195, 2009, doi:10.4271/2009-01-2195.
- DeJong, R.G. and Kuiper, I.J., “Pressure Gradient Effects on Turbulent Pressure Spectrum,” Proceedings Inter-Noise 2012, New York City, August 19-22, 2012.