This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Some Thoughts on Dissipative Sound Package Systems
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published June 05, 2017 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
This paper discusses the importance of a dissipative sound package system in the automotive industry and how it works. Although this is not a new technique at this stage, it is still a challenge to meet the subsystem target levels that were originally developed for parts based on the barrier decoupler concept. This paper reviews the typical construction of a dissipative system and then emphasizes the importance of different layers of materials that are used in the construction, including what they can do and cannot do. The paper also discusses the importance of the proper manufacturing of a part.
CitationSaha, P. and Deshpande, S., "Some Thoughts on Dissipative Sound Package Systems," SAE Technical Paper 2017-01-1815, 2017, https://doi.org/10.4271/2017-01-1815.
- VanBuskirk, J., "A Lightweight Alternative to Automotive Sound Control," Presented at the Automotive & Transportation Interiors Expo Conference, Detroit, MI, USA, May 19-21, 1998.
- Wyerman, B., Dinsmore, M., Saha, P., Baker, B. et al., "Automotive Noise and Vibration Control Practices in the New Millennium," SAE Technical Paper 2003-01-1589, 2003, doi:10.4271/2003-01-1589.
- Wentzel, R. and VanBuskirk, J., "A Dissipative Approach to Vehicle Sound Abatement," SAE Technical Paper 1999-01-1668, 1999, doi:10.4271/1999-01-1668.
- Griffen, C., Wentzel, R., Raveendra, S., and Khambete, S., "Acoustic Tuning of Lightweight Vehicle Interior Systems," SAE Technical Paper 2001-01-1628, 2001, doi:10.4271/2001-01-1628.
- Norton, M., P., “Fundamentals of Noise and Vibration Analysis for Engineers, (Great Britain, Cambridge University Press 1989) ISBN 0-521-34941-9, pp 284-290.
- ASTM International, “Standard Test Method for Measurement of Airborne Sound Attenuation between Rooms in Buildings”, ASTM E-336-16.
- Zhang, Q., Parrett, A., and Zopp, A., "Lightweight Acoustic System Performance Target Setting Process," SAE Int. J. Passeng. Cars - Mech. Syst. 6(2):1342-1346, 2013, doi:10.4271/2013-01-1982.