This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Measurement of Flow-Generated Noise inside Mufflers
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published June 05, 2017 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
Flow-generated noise has recently received a lot of attention within the process of designing exhaust and intake systems. Flow-generated noise can limit the amount of sound reduction a muffler can introduce inside ducts. This is more important in the modern system design where mufflers are compact and the flow speeds become higher in different sections inside the muffler. In this paper, three measurement techniques are used to measure the flow-generated noise from a duct element. The first is based on calculating the sound power levels inside a reverberation room according to ISO 3741. The radiated noise is measured from the muffler body as a source of noise, then from the tail pipe as an active one-port source. The second is based on sound power measurements inside the ducts using the active two-port theory. The third is measuring the sound pressure radiation inside an anechoic room. There has been a lot of work done to calculate the flow generated noise from simple duct elements but little has been published on full mufflers. In this paper, a compact muffler was studied. A 1D model based on the two-port theory was built for this muffler and whereas the flow-generation mechanisms were included in the active two-port formulation, and calculated using different scaling laws from literature for different duct elements such as orifices, pipes and open ends. Comparisons between simulations and measurements were performed to prove the reliability of the flow noise simulation technique.
CitationAbosrea, A. and Elnady, T., "Measurement of Flow-Generated Noise inside Mufflers," SAE Technical Paper 2017-01-1795, 2017, https://doi.org/10.4271/2017-01-1795.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|[Unnamed Dataset 1]|
- Nelson, P.A. and Morfey, C.L., “Aerodynamic sound prediction in low speed flow ducts,” J. Sound Vib. 79(2):263-289, 1981, doi:10.1016/0022-460X(81)90372-2.
- Ducret, F., “Studies of sound generation and propagation in flow ducts,” KTH The Royal Institute of Technology, 2006.
- Kårekull, O., Efraimsson, G., and Åbom, M., “Prediction model of flow duct constriction noise,” Appl. Acoust. 82:45-52, 2014, doi:10.1016/j.apacoust.2014.03.001.
- Kårekull, O., Efraimsson, G., and Åbom, M., “Revisiting the Nelson-Morfey scaling law for flow noise from duct constrictions,” J. Sound Vib. 357:233-244, 2015, doi:10.1016/j.jsv.2015.06.019.
- Abosrea, A., ElSallamy, W., and Elnady, T., “Flow generated noise inside mufflers,” INTERNOISE, California, 2015.
- ISO3741:1999 Acoustics - Determination of sound power levels of noise sources using sound pressure - Precision methods for reverberation rooms, ISO Standards, 1999.
- Lavrentjev, J., Åbom, M., and Bodén, H., “A Measurement Method for Determining the Source Data of Acoustic Two-Port Sources,” J. Sound Vib. 183(3):517-531, 1995, doi:10.1006/jsvi.1995.0268.
- Oldham, D.J. and Ukpoho, A.U., “A Pressure-Based Technique for Predicting Regenerated Noise Levels in Ventilation Systems,” J. Sound Vib. 140(2):259-272, 1990.
- Nygård, S., “Turbulence generated sound in ducts,” KTH Royal Institute of Technology, Stockholm, 2000.
- Blevins, R.D., “Applied Fluid Dynamics Handbook,” Van Nostrand Reinhold Co., ISBN 9781575241821, 1984.
- Elnady, T., Elsaadany, S., and Åbom, M., “Flow and Pressure Drop Calculation Using Two-Ports,” J. Vib. Acoust. 133(4):8, 2011, doi:10.1115/1.4003593.
- Noise at pipes VDI 3733, The Association of German Engineers, ISBN 9788578110796, 1996, doi:10.1017/CBO9781107415324.004.
- Elnady, T. and Åbom, M., “SIDLAB: new 1D sound propagation simulation software for complex duct networks,” 13th International Congress on Sound and Vibration, Vienna: 2-6, 2006.
- Elnady, T., "A Platform to Measure Transmission Loss of Mufflers with Flow", Inter-Noise 2007, Istanbul, Turkey, August 28-31, 2007.
- Allam, A. and Elnady, T., "Characterization of Mufflers", ICA 2016, Buenos Aires, Argentina, September 5-9, 2016.
- Elnady, T., Elsaadany, S., and Åbom, M., "Investigation into Modeling of Multi-Perforated Mufflers", 16th International Congress on Sound and Vibration, Krakow, Poland, July 6-9, 2009.
- Åbom, M., Allam, S., and Boij, S., “Aero-Acoustics of Flow Duct Singularities at Low Mach Numbers,” 12th AIAA/CEAS Aeroacoustics Conference, ISBN 978-1-62410-021-5: 8-10, 2006, doi:10.2514/6.2006-2687.