This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
A 1-D Simulation Model for Analysis and Optimization of Gearbox Rattle Noise
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published June 05, 2017 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
In the design or match process of vehicle powertrain system, gearbox rattle is a common NVH problem which directly affects passengers’ judgment on the quality and performance of vehicle. During the development process of a passenger car, prototype vehicles have serious gear rattle problem. In order to efficiently and fundamentally control this problem, this work first studied the characteristics and mechanisms of the gearbox rattle. The study results revealed that the torsional vibration of powertrain system was the root cause of gearbox rattle. Then a simulation model of the full vehicle was built with the aid of Simulink® toolbox, which is a graphical extension to MATLAB® for modeling and simulation of variety of systems. With this model, the sensitivity analysis and parametrical optimization were performed, and the simulation results indicated that the dual-mass flywheel (DMF) was the best measure to control the rattle. In order to verify this conclusion, this work developed a DMF system and embedded it into the powertrain of the prototype vehicle. Both subjective evaluation and the objective measurement on the vehicle indicated that the gearbox rattle problem was successfully solved. The main significance of this study is to establish an effective and easy approach to analyze and control the gearbox rattle. The indicative conclusions of this work could be referred by NVH engineers in the early phase of vehicle development.
CitationXu, Y., "A 1-D Simulation Model for Analysis and Optimization of Gearbox Rattle Noise," SAE Technical Paper 2017-01-1780, 2017, https://doi.org/10.4271/2017-01-1780.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|Unnamed Dataset 1|
- Chae , C. , Won , K. , Kang , K. , and Schulz , I. Measurement of Transmission Rattle Sensitivity and Calculation of Driveline Torsional Vibration for Gear Rattle Analysis SAE Technical Paper 2005-01-1785 2005 10.4271/2005-01-1785
- Szadkowski , A. Mathematical Model and Computer Simulation of Idle Gear Rattle SAE Technical Paper 910641 1991 10.4271/910641
- Liao , F. , Gao , W. , Gu , Y. , Kang , F. et al. Gear Rattle Prediction Based on Compliance and Deformation of Gear Contact Points SAE Technical Paper 2016-01-1094 2016 10.4271/2016-01-1094
- Johnson , O. and Hirami , N. Diagnosis and Objective Evaluation of Gear Rattle SAE Technical Paper 911082 1991 10.4271/911082
- Kamo , M. , Yamamoto , H. , Koga , H. , and Umezawa , K. Analysis Method for the Contribution Rate of Each Pair of Gears on the Driveline Gear Rattle SAE Technical Paper 960726 1996 10.4271/960726
- Crowther , A. and Rozyn , M. Design and Analysis of a Gear Rattle Test Rig SAE Int. J. Passeng. Cars - Mech. Syst. 2 1 1431 1439 2009 10.4271/2009-01-2113
- Forcelli , A. , Grasso , C. , and Pappalardo , T. The Transmission Gear Rattle Noise:Parametric Sensitivity Study SAE Technical Paper 2004-01-1225 2004 10.4271/2004-01-1225
- Meisner , S. and Campbell , B. Development of Gear Rattle Analytical Simulation Methodology SAE Technical Paper 951317 1995 10.4271/951317
- J Bora , A. , White , R. , and Chaudhari , D. Gear Rattle Noise Prediction from Dynamic Simulation SAE Int. J. Commer. Veh. 4 1 163 170 2011 10.4271/2011-01-2242
- Steinel , K. and Tebbe , G. New Torsional Damper Concept to Reduce Idle Rattle in Truck Transmissions SAE Technical Paper 2004-01-2722 2004 10.4271/2004-01-2722
- Galvagno , E. , Velardocchia , M. , Vigliani , A. , and Tota , A. Experimental Analysis and Model Validation of a Dual Mass Flywheel for Passenger Cars SAE Technical Paper 2015-01-1121 2015 10.4271/2015-01-1121