This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Electronic Does Not Equal Smart: Service Documentation and Brand Quality
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 28, 2017 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
A vehicle's electrical system is one of the top sources of problems requiring service. For years now electronic means of service documentation have been replacing static documents as a way of speeding vehicle troubleshooting. The next step on this path of evolution is to turn this e-documentation into smart maintenance systems, capable of offering technicians true data insights and highly-efficient diagnostic procedures. This paper briefly summarizes the technologies underpinning the evolution in electrical system diagnosis and repair; which include schematic layout automation using prototypes and rule-based styling, instant language translation, 2D/3D view links with schematics, interactive diagnostic procedures, and dynamically-generated signal-tracing diagrams. These technologies empower after sales service teams with state-of-the-art capabilities; which not only reduce costs but also improve the quality of the brand in the eyes of its customers.
CitationAskar, M., "Electronic Does Not Equal Smart: Service Documentation and Brand Quality," SAE Technical Paper 2017-01-1686, 2017, https://doi.org/10.4271/2017-01-1686.
- “Anyone else extremely frustrated with getting Model S in for service?,” Tesla Motors Club, July, 13, 2016, https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/threads/anyone-else-extremely-frustrated-with-getting-model-s-in-for-service.73491/, accessed October 26, 2016
- ibid, July 14, 2016, https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/posts/1630935/, accessed October 26, 2016.
- “Man Smashes His Own Mercedes-Benz With A Golf Club: Here’s Why,” Tech Times, September 20, 2015, http://www.techtimes.com/articles/85579/20150920/man-smashes-mercedes-benz.htm, accessed October 26, 2016.
- Sieczkowski, Cavan, “Man Destroys $423,000 Maserati At China Auto Show Because He Was Angry With Dealer”, The Huffingon Post, May 16, 2013, http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/05/15/man-destroys-maserati_n_3280741.html, accessed October 10, 2014.
- “Car reliability vs. frustration: The reality behind today’s infotainment systems,” Consumer Reports, February 20, 2014, http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/news/2014/02/infotainment-car-reliability/index.htm, accessed October 26, 2014
- Cardillo, J., "Evolution of Automotive Test Equipment in the Service Bay," SAE Technical Paper 2011-01-0750, 2011, doi:10.4271/2011-01-0750.
- Pattada, K., Singh, S., and Bandyopadhyay, P., "Fault Model-Based Interactive Service Procedure Tool," SAE Technical Paper 2011-01-0749, 2011, doi:10.4271/2011-01-0749.