This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Time to Torque Optimization by Evolutionary Computation Methods
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 28, 2017 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Time to torque (TTT) is a quantity used to measure the transient torque response of turbocharged engines. It is referred as the time duration from an idle-to-full step torque command to the time when 95% of maximum torque is achieved. In this work, we seek to control multiple engine actuators in a collaborative way such that the TTT is minimized. We pose the TTT minimization problem as an optimization problem by parameterizing each engine actuator’s transient trajectory as Fourier series, followed by minimizing proper cost function with the optimization of those Fourier coefficients. We first investigate the problem in CAE environment by constructing an optimization framework that integrates high-fidelity GT (Gamma Technology) POWER engine model and engine actuators’ Simulink model into ModeFrontier computation platform. We conduct simulation optimization study on two different turbocharged engines under this framework with evolutionary computation algorithms. It is shown that, compared with baseline control, modifying exhaust variable cam timing (VCT) and spark timing transient traces can significantly reduce TTT. Based on this, a new transient control strategy has been proposed and implemented on a dyno engine. Test results show that the newly developed strategy can reduce the TTT by 20% and increase peak torque considerably.
CitationWang, J., Michelini, J., Wang, Y., and Shelby, M., "Time to Torque Optimization by Evolutionary Computation Methods," SAE Technical Paper 2017-01-1629, 2017, https://doi.org/10.4271/2017-01-1629.
- Petitjean , D. , Bernardini , L. , Middlemass , C. , and Shahed , S. Advanced Gasoline Engine Turbocharging Technology for Fuel Economy Improvements SAE Technical Paper 2004-01-0988 2004 10.4271/2004-01-0988
- Bandel , W. , Fraidl , G. , Kapus , P.E. and Sikinger The turbocharged GDI engine: boosted synergies for high fuel economy plus ultra-low emission SAE paper 2006-01-1266 2006
- Deb , K. , Pratap , A. , Agarwal , S. and Meyarivan , T. A fast and elitist multiobjective genetic algorithm: NSGA-II IEEE Transaction on Evolutionary Computation 6 2 April 2002
- Grosan , C. and Abraham , A. and Ishibuchi , A. Hybrid Evolutionary Algorithms: Methodologies, Architectures, and Reviews Berlin Springer-Verlag 2007
- Simon , D. , Wang , Y. , Tiber , O. , Du , D. Filev , D. and Michelini , M. Trajectory optimization with Memetic algorithms: time to torque minimization of turbocharged engines IEEE International Conference on Systems, Man and Cybernetics 2016
- Yen , V. and Nagurka , M. Fourier-based optimal control approach for structural systems AIAA Journal of Guidance, Control, and Dynamics 13 2082 2087 1990
- Filev , D. and Angelov , P. Algorithms for Real Time Clustering and Generation of Rules from Data Advances in Fuzzy Clustering and Its Applications de Oliveira J. V. and Pedrycz W. John Wiley & Sons 2007 241 265
- Turco , A. NSGA-II - New Features Esteco Technical Report 2010-001
- Esteco modeFRONTIER user manual v.4.5.3 2014