This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Vehicle Mass Estimation from CAN Data and Drivetrain Torque Observer
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 28, 2017 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
A method for estimating the vehicle mass in real time is presented. Traditional mass estimation methods suffer due a lack of knowledge of the vehicle parameters, the road surface conditions and most importantly the effect of the vehicle transmission. To resolve these issues, a method independent of a vehicle model is utilized in conjunction with a drivetrain output torque observer to obtain the estimate of the vehicle mass. Simulations and experimental track tests indicate that the method is able to accurately estimate the vehicle mass with a relatively fast rate of convergence compared to traditional methods.
CitationGhosh, J., Foulard, S., and Fietzek, R., "Vehicle Mass Estimation from CAN Data and Drivetrain Torque Observer," SAE Technical Paper 2017-01-1590, 2017, https://doi.org/10.4271/2017-01-1590.
- WHO, “WHO Report 2015: Data tables,”World Health Organisation (WHO).
- National Highway Trafic Safety Administration, “Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards: Electronic Stability Control Systems,” Controls and Displays. Tech. rep. 2012.
- Van Zanten, Anton T., “Bosch ESP systems: 5 years of experience,” SAE Technical Paper, 2000.
- Kidambi, N., Harne, R., Fujii, Y., Pietron, G. , “Methods in Vehicle Mass and Road Grade Estimation,” SAE Int. J. Passeng. Cars - Mech. Syst. 7(3):981–991, 2014, doi:10.4271/2014-01-0111.
- Wragge-Morley, R., Herrmann, G., Barber, P., and Burgess, S., “Gradient and Mass Estimation from CAN Based Data for a Light Passenger Car,” SAE Int. J. Passeng. Cars – Electron. Electr. Syst. 8(1):137–145, 2015, doi:10.4271/2015-01-0201.
- McIntyre, Michael L., “A two-stage Lyapunov-based estimator for estimation of vehicle mass and road grade.” IEEE Transactions on vehicular Technology 58.7 (2009): 3177–3185.
- Rajamani, Rajesh, and Hedrick J. Karl. “Adaptive observers for active automotive suspensions: theory and experiment.” IEEE Transactions on control systems technology 3.1 (1995): 86–93.
- Hong, Sanghyun, “A novel approach for vehicle inertial parameter identification using a dual Kalman filter.” IEEE Transactions on Intelligent Transportation Systems 16.1 (2015): 151–161.
- Doumiati, M., “Lateral load transfer and normal forces estimation for vehicle safety: experimental test.” Vehicle System Dynamics 47.12 (2009): 1511–1533.
- Doumiati, Moustapha, “An estimation process for vehicle wheel-ground contact normal forces.” IFAC Proceedings Volumes41.2 (2008): 7110–7115.
- Rezaeian, A., “Novel Tire Force Estimation Strategy for Real-Time Implementation on Vehicle Applications.” IEEE Transactions on Vehicular Technology 64.6 (2015): 2231–2241.
- Fathy, Hosam K., Kang Dongsoo, and Stein Jeffrey L. “Online vehicle mass estimation using recursive least squares and supervisory data extraction.” 2008 American control conference. IEEE, 2008.
- Vahidi, Ardalan, Stefanopoulou Anna, and Peng Huei. “Recursive least squares with forgetting for online estimation of vehicle mass and road grade: theory and experiments.” Vehicle System Dynamics 43.1 (2005): 31–55.
- Ljung, Lennart., “System identification.” In Signal Analysis and Prediction, pp. 163–173. Birkhäuser Boston, 1998.
- Doumiati, Moustapha, Victorino Alessandro Correa, Charara Ali, and Lechner Daniel. “Onboard real-time estimation of vehicle lateral tire–road forces and sideslip angle.” IEEE/ASME Transactions on Mechatronics 16, no. 4 (2011): 601–614.
- Rajamani, Rajesh, Phanomchoeng Gridsada, Piyabongkarn Damrongrit, and Lew Jae Y. “Algorithms for real-time estimation of individual wheel tire-road friction coefficients.” IEEE/ASME Transactions on Mechatronics 17, no. 6 (2012): 1183–1195.
- Ghosh, Jyotishman, Tonoli Andrea, Amati Nicola, and Chen Weitao. “Sideslip Angle Estimation of a Formula SAE Racing Vehicle.” SAE International Journal of Passenger Cars-Mechanical Systems 9, no. 2016-01-1662 (2016): 944–951.
- Milliken WF, Milliken DL., “Race car vehicle dynamics. Vol. 400,” Society of Automotive Engineers
- Foulard, S., Ichchou, M., Rinderknecht, S; Perret-Liaudet, J., “Online and real-time monitoring system for remaining service life estimation of automotive transmissions – Application to a manual transmission,” Mechatronics, 30:140–157, 2015.
- Foulard, S., “Online and Real-Time Load Monitoring for Remaining Service Life Prediction of Automotive Transmissions,” Technische Universität Darmstadt, Dissertation, 2015