This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
A Review of Car-Trailer Lateral Stability Control Approaches
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 28, 2017 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
Ensuring the lateral stability and handling of a car-and-trailer combination remains one of the challenges in safety system design and development for articulated vehicles. This paper reviews the state-of-the-art approaches for car-trailer lateral stability control. A literature review covering the effects of external factors, such as aerodynamic forces, tire forces, and road & climatic conditions, is presented. To address the effects of these factors, researchers have previously investigated numerous passive and active safety control techniques. This paper intends to identify the inadequacies of the passive safety approaches and analyzes promising active-control schemes, such as active trailer steering control (ATSC), active trailer braking (ATB) and model reference adaptive controller (MRAC). A comparative study of these control strategies in terms of applicability and cost effectiveness is performed.
CitationVempaty, S. and He, Y., "A Review of Car-Trailer Lateral Stability Control Approaches," SAE Technical Paper 2017-01-1580, 2017, https://doi.org/10.4271/2017-01-1580.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|[Unnamed Dataset 1]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 2]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 3]|
- Eungkil Lee, “Design Optimization of Active Trailer Differential Braking Systems for Car-Trailer Combinations”, UOIT, Canada, 2016
- Sun, Tao “Design Synthesis of Car-Trailer Systems with Active Differential Braking Strategies”, UOIT,Canada, 2013
- Rajmani Rajesh, “Vehicle Dynamics and Control”, pp 18–20
- Kang, X. and Deng, W., "Vehicle-Trailer Handling Dynamics and Stability Control ─ an Engineering Review," SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-0822, 2007, doi:10.4271/2007-01-0822.
- Tremblay, J., Ziernicki, R., Railsback, B., and Kittel, M., "Wind Effects on Dynamic Stability of Tractor Trailers in Winter Conditions," SAE Technical Paper 2009-01-2915, 2009, doi:10.4271/2009-01-2915.
- Smith Nicholas.D., “Understanding Parameters Influencing Tire Modeling”, Formula SAE Platform, Colorado State University,2004.
- Hac, A., Fulk, D., and Chen, H., "Stability and Control Considerations of Vehicle-Trailer Combination," SAE Int. J. Passeng. Cars - Mech. Syst.1(1):925–937, 2009, doi:10.4271/2008-01-1228.
- Shamim, R., Islam, M., and He, Y., "A Comparative Study of Active Control Strategies for Improving Lateral Stability of Car-Trailer Systems," SAE Technical Paper 2011-01-0959, 2011, doi:10.4271/2011-01-0959.
- Vempaty Smitha, Eungkil Lee, Yuping He, “Model Reference Based Adapative Control for Enhancing Lateral Stability of Car-Trailer Systems”, IMECE2016-65090, the University of Ontario Institute of Technology.
- Sun, T. He, Y. and Ren, J., “Dynamics Analysis of Car- Trailer Systems with Active Trailer Differential Braking Strategies”, UOIT 2014.
- Sun, T., Lee, E., He, Y., “Validation of Car-Trailer Models”, UOIT Technical paper 2015.
- Vempaty, K. Pavan., Ka, Cheok. C., and Loh. Robert, N. K. , 2009 "Model Reference Adaptive Control for Actuators of a Biped Robot Locomotion," Proceedings of the World Congress on Engineering and Computer Science (WCECS), vol II, pp 983–988, San Francisco, USA.
- Lugner, P., Plochl, M., and Riepl, A., 1996, “ Inverstigation of Passenger Car_Trailer Dynamics Controlled by Additional Braking of Trailer”, Proceedings from Avec’96”. International Symposium on Advanced Vehicle Control, pp. 763–778
- Alonso Fernández, M. and Sharp, R., "Caravan Active Braking System-Effective Stabilisation of Snaking of Combination Vehicles," SAE Technical Paper 2001-01-3188, 2001, doi:10.4271/2001-01-3188.
- Kimborough, S., Elwell, M. and Ciu, Ch., “Braking Controllers and Steering Controllers for Combination Vehicles”, International Journal of Vehicle Design 1(2), pp.195–222.
- Baker, C,J., “High Sided Articulated Road Vehicles in Strong Cross Winds,” Journal of Wind Engineering and Aerodynamics, 31(1988) 67–85. Elsevier Science Publishers B.V., Amsterdam
- Coleman S, A., and Baker C, J., “An Experimental Study of the Aerodynamic Behavior of High Sided Lorries in Cross Winds,” Journal of Wind Engineering and Industrial Aerodynamics, 53(1994) 401–429 Elsevier Science Publishers B.V., Amsterdam
- Basar Özkan, Aptoula Erchan, Heren Tayfun, Mandaci Hasan . “Minimization of Tire Wear For Tractor Semi-Trailers With Command Steering”, OTEKON 2014
- Astrom. Karl, J., and Bjorn, Wittenmark., “Adaptive Control,” Pearson Education, Inc2003.
- Vempaty K. Pavan., 2011 "Adaptive Controller for Biped Robot Mimicking Human Gait," Diss., Oakland University
- Kageyama, I. And Nagai, R., “Stabilization of Passenger Car-Caravan Combination Using Four Wheel Steering Control”, Vehicle System Dynamics, 24 pp. 313–327.
- Deng, W., Lee, Y., and Tian, M., "An Integrated Chassis Control for Vehicle-Trailer Stability and Handling Performance," SAE Technical Paper 2004-01-2046, 2004, doi:10.4271/2004-01-2046.
- Fancher, PS., and Winker Cb., 2007, “Directional Performance Issues in Evaluation and Design of Articulated Heavy Vehicles”, Vehicle System Dynamics, vol 45(7–8), pp 607–647.
- Jujnovich, B., and Cebon, D., 2002, “Comparative Performance of Semi-Trailer Steering Systems”, In: 7th International Symposium on Heavy Vehicle Weights and Dimensions, Delft, the Netherlands, pp. 195–214.